NYC Bans Halloween, Birthdays, Aliens and More on School Tests

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If Tolstoy in banned, it is because he is above the people writing the test. You do have to admit, he is not exactly light reading.

How about "The Prince" Sure can't read "Snow White". A chick living with seven dudes? What is the song line from South Pacific? "You have got to be taught to hate, You have to be carefully taught"

A coworker's son actually got expelled from high school here. His son wrote a paper about breading Akitas, their family hobby. He used the word "bitch" instead of "female canine mother" Absolutely true story. After it was final, the father did suggest that the offence was really that the teacher and principal did in fact have the same attributes of a female dog and called them same. He had to complete school in a private school at great expense. We are way too sick.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I'm a firm believer in,

There "is" only what there is, if that has not been discovered yet the case still exists. By selective removal of pieces of a puzzle with the hope to alter the outcome, just slows the completion of the puzzle and not the outcome.
:)

Regards
M. Gregg

Joined 2002
Paid Member
It may happen that this RFC is either red herring itself, or contains some, when somebody wants to hide something behind obviously idiotic proposals. I don't believe that people who have such responsibility are so dumb to propose suchg things seriously.

And who is (after a certain age) so dump to consider education guidelines as being Not a political issue?

Start counting: 1s, 2s, 3s… :D

George

Wave,
We will have to disagree. Some actually are. I read a paper recently that explains this quite well. The basic concept is that as one rises in level of authority, one starts to think it is because they are smarter and are right. They quit questioning themselves and more dangerous, quit being questioned by others. The "don't challenge the boss" problem. If you examine the truly great leaders in history, you will see they are the ones who never stopped questioning themselves.

The other thing to notice, it that local school boards are being used as an entry point by people with very radical agendas. I know I am being overly stereotyping, but I see a basic attitude that "I am right, so you are wrong". These are likely the kind of people who are passing the kinds of rules that this thread is discussing. They believe they have power, they believe they are always right. We need to keep questioning.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Wave,
We will have to disagree. Some actually are. I read a paper recently that explains this quite well. The basic concept is that as one rises in level of authority, one starts to think it is because they are smarter and are right. They quit questioning themselves and more dangerous, quit being questioned by others. The "don't challenge the boss" problem. If you examine the truly great leaders in history, you will see they are the ones who never stopped questioning themselves.

The other thing to notice, it that local school boards are being used as an entry point by people with very radical agendas. I know I am being overly stereotyping, but I see a basic attitude that "I am right, so you are wrong". These are likely the kind of people who are passing the kinds of rules that this thread is discussing. They believe they have power, they believe they are always right. We need to keep questioning.

+1

This is a real problem..Not all the time, however I have seen it so many times..(And if you question, the bully comes forth because they are right even when they are proven wrong)...and education can be one of the worst..Because its become target driven..

Regards
M. Gregg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.