Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
The funny thing is oils and bearing noise can be more important than silver cables. We need to be Polymaths . We were in the past. As luck would have it and without irony music is allowed by many. I sometimes think I have an easy life. All I need do is see what is infront of me. Sometimes I have met the problem somewhere else and find a shortcut. For example at age 15 we were taught 1/f = I/ u + 1/v . We then see similar in other things we meet. When maths gets harder we might say " I wonder if it is the same as " ? That same as might be rubber hysterisis and iron losses.

Dejan. You old Polymath you.

I was saying to a friend that making connections is often Paranoia. If I am right being a Polymath might make these people happier? As someone said Conspiricy Theories are interesting in themselves and not for what they discuss. They always seem to ignor simple facts. Often ones that can actually say the theory is right! The person it seems isn't really interested in the right or the wrong. They just love feeling some danger or whatever?

NASA and the Moon. Shadows prove it fake ? What I think happened is whoever very follishly rejected the real photos as not very good. Many almost certainly were less than Kosher that we saw. For all of that I think they did go. The evidence isn't good and I would be told so if a hi fi conjecture of mine. Van Allen Belt is not as C T people say as at 25 000 MPH you are not there for long ( 7 minutes perhaps , and seconds at Rads Max ) . One thing I would think to see on Moon photos is radiation damage. Like pixal errors in style.

The polymath always is an amateur as the subjects are too large to be expert in. That's the problem with " experto credite ". Maybe we do too much ? The amateur is after all " one who loves ". There is a saying . The amateur continues until they suceed, the professional continues on until they can not fail. What this ignores is beginers luck. No such thing, it is called passion. Some professionals lack the passion they once had. Colleen is a care worker. She has " the passion ". Alas she is burning out. As hi fi is a madness with me that passion is endless. It is a madness and no one needs tell me. I do burn out and come back for more.

Frank. Interesting point on that. I added some very cheap phase plugs to the OB speakers. It is obvious the sound is better yet less fun. I suspect it is just they have lost the makers sound balance which could be restored by EQ. After much thought I think I can see where it needs to go. What I resist is solutions that are make or brake. Answers are like trains with no timetable. Some come in minutes and others 30 years. The passion is believing that train will come. Very often I am driving and the idea comes from nowhere. Often for a question I no longer ask. That means I build it to see where it goes. Often if wanting the perfect life I wouldn't. Colleen likes how I am, Fabienne didn't. That makes a big difference. Fabienne's friends felt sorry for her. Colleen doesn't give a stuff. Funny thing is F's friends never give her the money she now dosen't have. F told me the other day I am her only truely faithful friend. That' not bad! That how people should be. Pretending to be friends is almost as goood as the real thing. Strangely it seems to come true. If asking I do it for the kids, and yet it is what works best.

Right on! Being true to yourself is the most important thing, and it is a disturbing thing at times to live this, because it may be that it doesn't gell or blend all that well with the others who happen to be around you at the time. But ultimately, you do have to live with yourself - that one tends to hang around a bit more than the rest, so ya gotta give him decent living space, ;). It's sort of, the number one rule ...

QTu8VLj.jpg

Here is an example of an amateurs luck. This sort of works. None of the better ones did with other PU's. Attempts to solve that, didn't. It is outrageous to think that the 160 R + 470 nF can be the 75 uS. It is the Denon that allows it. Also the Quad 33 is 100 mv at very high Z thus is not asking too much, it has a DC blocking cap of nice quality in the Quad. Thus it is just possible. If it can work it ticks some nice boxes. The design is a buffet to take or add to, components were what was at hand. The 2 uS output filter is to aid the Quad and mimic it's own deign. An expert would know this idea to be stupid. Mostly it is. NE5532 or MC33078 tried. They both had good sound. MC 33078 marginally prefered as it sounds less on edge. Neither sounds dark. In fact it has moments of being special. It has other moments I am not certain about. Special might mean saying a record has suffered and letting me hear that better than ever.

My speakers are about 100 dB/watt. The TV causes hum. It is cured by having a swich box that brakes the ground and hots. I only put the less good items through this box, the TV is one of those . All in all a great solution. Last night I connected the primary of a 12 VA transformer to act as a 1 to 1 isolator ( 0- 115 0 - 115 ). It has about 230 R so a vast winding. The iron is not M6 so we can not exspect much. The hum is completely cured and the sound is like very good AM radio or better. I mention this as it might help someone else. I won't be buying expensive transfomers as when the TV is talking or whatever the hum is masked. Still good to know the reason. It seemed at first the SMPS was the cause . Maybe still so as the T/F might be an RF filter and not that the ground loop is broken. That might mean a high grade T/F less able to cure the problem. Some variation of balanced input op amp might work.

BTW. I have great faith in my DL110 preamp now. It is not a universal design as I found when trying other pick ups. Hopeless in general and good in this one example where the gain is enough. The old Quad 33 never sounded so modern.

I put the Magnepan SMGa on a few days ago. Mostly I like my nasty DIY baffle speakers more. When I move house I will have one set in one room and one in the other. I was warned the Maggies will die the way I use them so this might be the best of all worlds. One thing I really like about the baffle speakers using 12 Lta is the music is everywhere in the house much as I am. Cooking, washing up ( I have a dishwasher that everyone except me uses, I like washing up ). Working on PCB designs is the most common need for music, much better it is around me than in my face. Real life is usually much better than hi fi on this, I feel what I have is closer than most. I was told many years ago most hi fi sounds less impressive as you move away from it ( sometimes the obvious needs saying ). That for me is the past. Some highly coloured speakers that go loud might sound better far away. It has to be good everywhere. I notice also that good hi fi seems loud enough anywhere you are and yet not stupidly loud in the speaker room.

My dad washed down in nearly pure benzene every day ( Xylene ). As luck would have it he took early retirement at 61 which I suspect saved his life. Many did not make it to 65. He is now 84 and counting. As I point out to him he is 2 years past his sale by date even if he hadn't. I would put what he did as close to nuclear clean up as to how dangerous. In the nuclear industry the big potenial killer is also in any power station when decomissioned. That is asbestos. Most things nuclear are nasty but can be survived ( see film Hot Potato ) . Asbestos usually will kill you and luck won't help much. To be clear my dad washed his hards and arms every night for 30 years. Where he worked they washed the walls down with it. The ventillation system was designed in the 1930's and hardly worked. There were even more dangerous chemicals used on top of this. My engineer worked in the nuclear weapons indistry. He said the handling was simple and no special protection of note. He did not remember anyone dying young! He said the only precaution was never offer the machined parts up for sizing. Pete is now 71, his health isn't great which I put down to being too mean to heat his worshop. When the world is at zero so is Pete's workshop.

So what comes next, Nige?

I have been asked to build a turntable. To be honest the one I must make would be like Kia offering the world their VW Golf clone. 90% of what I can do is down to money. A DC motor at < 5 V 400 mA would help. A Yamaha servo type ( any make ) would be my favourite if available.

I did try for fun try a 12 V stepper run by a 4 amplifier bridge ( sine - sine cosine - cosine ). The drivers running +/- 12 V, amps at 5V. I have a very large number of PSU if I can make them work. It almost works. I think I should try harder as I am so close. The last attempt will be a rail to rail op amp with collector coupled power boosters in a 4 way bridge. BC327/337. BTW BC327/337 are very low noise and very low Vce with very high gain. It is hard to find anything wrong with them. At work I use them almost for every circuit. I have never used them in an audio signal path and can only guess they would be very good. MC stages and microphones come to mind. Not unlike 2N4401/3. In a cascode with MPSA42/92 they could be very good. I would imagine even with MJE340/350 something good might happen. I dare say in common base 340/350 have better HF ability? Off for a lads day out now so forgive any errors. These lads are the serrious types, steam locomotives could come into it.

Building a turnatble is no walk in the park. Many decisions to be made, and most will be controlled by the available finaces. This will probably necessitate making compromises.

What about the arm? Going to use a commercially available model, or do you plan to make that as well?

Have you considered buying a TT and then redoing it the way it should have been done?

Funny you should say that. I am helping two collages with projects. One has made an arm like the old Well Tempered Arm and the other could be a unipivot. Realistically the one I am working on will use a Rega arm. To be honest none of the cheaper arms impress me. I like the Hadcock and previous SME 12 inch. The Jelco wasn't my cup of tea. I haven't tried it with a MC so could be wrong. My Linn Ekos looks as dreadful as all the other solid arms. It sounds quite good. The most stupid bit is the arm on the JVC L3-E sounds great and yet looks awful. I have to use it's AT type MM. Even so it is hard to fault. The turntble is plastic and yet is very OK. It is said the motor is the same as the JVC TT71. If so a very posh motor.

I intend to measure direct drives under load ( using track resistance showing current waveform ). I want to see if simple waveformes exist that show differences in servo reaction. I got told off for being stupid because I refused to follow the envellope principle and how voltage is the controlling variable governing speed. I refused to accept that without my own tests. Seems to me a Technics is a 5.5 Hz sine wave that is voltage modulated to give the torque requided. My conjecture is that rumble will happen when torque is raised. Hence JVC and others will have a very low rumble figure when no load which both lab and ears will like. This will marginally change with stylus loading. My conjecture was viscous loading might improve sound as it would be a more significant load compared with the sylus. There would be a small rumble disadvantage .

Whilst walking much the worse for Cava a dog comes to meet me. The young man made the usual apologies not realising that the dog knew I wanted to say hello. It turns out the young man is a robotics engineer. I said I had recently been called an idiot for not seeming to understand how direct drive motors work. Truth is I was trying to understand them in a new way. The young man said " that's terrible , no engineer says that of another engineer ". I think we might infer mathamatically the truth of that by using the word engineer and his wisdom. I never say of another that sort of thing. I usually stand back and say 90 % of this looks right and perhaps it is me who is the idiot in not seeing somthing that words hardly show. Engineer comes from the French route meaning ingenious. By definition ingenious means not seen before. To see the unseen sometimes the unlikely is where to start.

Some years back I measured stepper and synchrouns motors. I infered they are the same by shape of parts used. I measured the current waveforms into the motor and confirmed it. Regardless of wave shape they draw current as a distorted sine wave. There seems a minute advantage using a true sine wave. One has to adjust for the true rms value before leaping to conclusions. Direct drives are said to be brushless DC motors. My conjecture has it they follow indentical laws regardless of the special commutation. As proof of that is at optimum stassis the torque curve is a sinusoid. The pole ( coil ) shapes might aid that although they look mostly to fit a segment as an orange does. If I apply a crude load like my finger look to see how the current waveform changes. We might then look to a viscous loading like an oil bath. If the change is not too drastic this might overcome the lessor stylus drag by ratio of effects. As far as I can see with no regard to how it happens the motor might be fed by a 5.5 Hz sinewave of whatever purity ( it will draw current as one of about 10 % THD if like a stepper ). Usually it is held at a place where it would start to slip if a load is applied. As soon as the load is applied the voltage is adjusted to take it into the correct zone ( note zone, not point ). It is suspected that this process is more perfect than the listener. Where I think something simple has been missed is that low rumble has been made of prime importance. It will change under load but not show in simple lab tests used since time began. My feeling is for a 3 to 6 dB change in rumble the zone can also be " the point ". It might not be that high as the oil may damp the rumble and take the leading edge off of the cog spike. What I hope is the servo's switch off as the load is constant or give a constant correction. There might be a very slow wow effect due to how the oil might behave.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Nigel,
Instead of using the normal light platter, why not go the Thorens route (electronics will be current state of the art). A heavy rotation mass tends to take the cog spikes down. Thorens did a couple of other things that help. The clutch on the motor is a soft start mechanism (2.5 kg rotating mass), and the belt is a natural filter that acts with the platter to filter out the cog spike. I found an old TD-125 MKII has lower rumble than the great majority of turntables out there. The only real problem with the thorens TD-125 MKII is the live sprung suspension. I can't use that table in this house due to that.

-Chris

Pardon for newbie suggestions. If Platter is made of thick acrylic with aluminum ring (Sleeve like) on circumference; it will serve multiple purpose. Acrylic will absorb feedback of vinyl vibrations. Metal ring will be stiff (Like in composite layer damping) One will have greater volume of platter (Than Metal) with appropriate weight. It would be ideal If this can be isolated from bearing noise.
Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.