Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vaccuphile, I forgot to mention that the front baffle is 5.4 cm thick MDF - that was on my demand. I read somewhere that the baffle has to deal with over 90% of the mechanical energy produced by the drivers, to it seemed logical to me to make it thick and heavy. Te rest is made of 2.7 cm MDF.

It's also braced inside.

And lastly, the front baffle is slanted by 7 cm top to bottom. This roughly corresponds to about 3 m distance, where the centers of the speakers will be time aligned. That's about how far from they can be in my room, unfortunately.

The wiring inside is 100% pure silver. The crossover board is split in three parts, and there are 6 (3x2) 40A binding posts. I can take in steps from a single power amp to: bi amping, tri amping, and if I add an elctronic crossover, I can easily move on to a fully active system - which is where I want to be. Say, one of my Current Factory amps driving the bass and two Otala/Lohstrohs driving the mid and treble.

Ignorance may be 'bliss' for some, but I read every audio review that I can that is in the audio mags in order to learn what 'works' and what does 'not'. DVV, you are leaving out a whole lot of input that could be helpful. Not all reviews are 'corrupt' or political. I have found that the reviewers really try to be fair in their subjective reports. Of course, Stereophile gives us real measurements that are REALLY informative. Heck, I rely on them to measure MY stuff in detail.

DVV, how did you damp the cabinet? Have you measured the Q of the cabinet when you get a resonant frequency?

Natural raw (uncombed) wool. A small advantage of living in a poor country, we can still obtain such materials. No plastics here, dankeschoen. Only natural! However, it is not coloured green, it has a walnut veneer.

The Q factor was of course measured, bt I don't remember what we got. I should really try to find the original document with that sort of data listed, I'm just too lazy to dig in and do it. Not to mention being sloppy enough to not know where it is in the first place.

Last edited:
Ignorance may be 'bliss' for some, but I read every audio review that I can that is in the audio mags in order to learn what 'works' and what does 'not'. DVV, you are leaving out a whole lot of input that could be helpful. Not all reviews are 'corrupt' or political. I have found that the reviewers really try to be fair in their subjective reports. Of course, Stereophile gives us real measurements that are REALLY informative. Heck, I rely on them to measure MY stuff in detail.

Oh, I know that, John, and I could even name a few reviewrs who's comments I take very seriously. Alvin Gold, for example, has a hearing which has over time proved itself to be similar enough to mine that I usually heed his advice and never regretted it.

There's another bloke from the UK, Peter something, usually heads group tests of speakers - his word will always make me investigate something.

Over here, as most of Europe, we are dominated by British mags. Some of them, like What Hi-Fi?, have conquered by introucing local vesions of the same mag, in local languages, a mix of the main mag and local tests. Stereophile is also available, but frankly John, I don't really care what they all write about any more, I've lived that life myself in magazines, on the radio and on TV, right now I'm in the mood to make something myself for myself. And if others like it, so much the better. If not, tough luck.

I'm too old and too experienced to chase name tags, and I don't have the wherewithall to even dream about the High End as you know it.

Not all reviews are 'corrupt' or political.

Indeed, some are just ignorant. Others are downright stupid. A very few (VERY few) are competent and thoughtful.

Yeah, Huy Fong is quite good. My favorite in the Tabasco style was Ortego (that's what you'd find on the tables at K-Paul's), but the guy who made it passed away a few years back and no-one has picked up the torch, so to speak.

If after all that we'd go back to recording music as was done over fifty years ago, maybe then we could once again enjoy the music at our homes instead of wondering where it all went wrong?

Cheers, ;)
I see it rather as a situation where we have what we have - the recordings, of lots of 'important' material is fixed, until DSP has evolved to the point of being able to completely disassemble the mix, adjust or fix whatever 'needs' to be altered, and then reassemble ... this will come, computing power has enough grunt, we just need intelligent (haahh!) programmers ...

In the meantime, a properly optimised system does allow all recordings to be enjoyed ... but you wouldn't think so, listening to most of the thrown together systems out there ... ;)

Where the audio observations are alike, we can then apply tests to determine why it might be this or that way. But certainly, you cant ignore the observations when so many people hear differences that are like one anothers'?!

THx-RNMarsh
Richard, I put it down mainly to laziness. The "scientific community" can't be bothered getting off their backsides and doing some decent research - far easier to toss off a few cites, that of course should end the matter ... :D

Their best aspect is that if the source material is good, they simply disappear, you hear sound in space and in the air, not coming from a box, much less (God forbid!) from a woofer, a midrange and a tweeter. If you have heard stories about titanium domes being harsh, this will make it ckear once and for all they they do not have to harsh, but are fast, lightning fast. Nothing pushes, nothing pulls, yet it's all there.
Sounds good, Dejan. My one comment, where I disagree, is the proviso, "if the source material is good" - in a fully sorted out setup that conditional is no longer applicable, all material comes from "invisible" speakers - really, really "crappy" blues recordings, :p, materialise in a big space, beyond the speakers, as an example, :).

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

\
The wiring inside is 100% pure silver. The crossover board is split in three parts, and there are 6 (3x2) 40A binding posts. I can take in steps from a single power amp to: bi amping, tri amping, and if I add an elctronic crossover, I can easily move on to a fully active system - which is where I want to be. Say, one of my Current Factory amps driving the bass and two Otala/Lohstrohs driving the mid and treble.

If I may ask, any particular reason for the silver wire inside the box?

Do you use solid core or multi-strand wire for this?

Oh, while we're off topic, assuming the x-over uses inductors, are those silver as well?

Has anyone ever considered silver wire for voice coil use at all?

TIA,

I'm too old and too experienced to chase name tags, and I don't have the wherewithall to even dream about the High End as you know it.
To me the number one goal is competent playback - a boring, nothing box is good enough for those who just want good sound. For those who want to impress their friends, by their taste in spiffy jewellery, can have the same internals in OTT containers, coated with as much lipstick as desired ...

Status
Not open for further replies.