Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
True and +1.

The top IEM's are nice as well. Do you like IEM?

Not really. I tend to stick to my Sennheiser HD 598, driven by my own pure class A headphone amp, using shunt regulation.

I have tried their bigger models, as well as those from Grado and Beye Dynamic, but in the end concluded that the price difference was simply not worth the sound difference.

My plus point is that both my tuner and CD player have dual output lines, so I can hooke them up in parallel to both the system preamp AND my headphone amp, which has selectable A or B inputs. That way I can bypass the preamp altogether, all the more so since my headphone amp also has a switch for stereo or mono (as L+R) and a balance control, meaning that I can adjsut for perfect balance on it and need nothing else.

I wonder which pair.

I'm not very familiar with Krell, but I've tried the overpriced Bakoon headphone amplifier in Current-out mode.

I wonder if there are Current-out speaker amplifiers?

For portable audio, I think iBasso are practical.

The discussion of them is at head-fi or at Erji.net.

Those forums are only advertising and discount reviews though, like a magazine, so you have to read with a kilo of salt.

He didn't say whose and which model. Since he says he's a patriot, could be from Koss.

I don't know what does "overpriced" really mean. Some take it on price alone, others do try to consider how much work went into them, some love headphones, others hate them, etc. In short, it's a very relative thing.

Mine used to cost €350 for a plain black case, or €499 in a swanky big case, with copper bottom and a thick machined front plate, and in true dual mono configuration.

I thought that was a fair price, given that I hand matched trnsistors throughout the device, checked literally every component that went into it, etc. But I am well aware that people who don't care much for earphones will think that a rip-off, since they can buy some Chinese made junk for about 10% of the lower price. IT looks the business, but in reality, inside it's almost the same thing they give you in commercial devices, one dual op amp and that's it. I love headphones for late night listening, so I guess my value scale is much different.

The semiconductor output stage uses 50W devices ... VERY much in pure class A.

Portable Headphone Amplifier - RED - Page31

3 transistor headphone amp.

I was rather taken by this idea. Not least it works with 3.7V. The bootstrap to make a CCS I like. I will have to build it to see what the DC offset is. I suspect being that it doesn't send feedback to Tr1 emitter is quite a nice thing. There will be no crossover distortion and battery life is OK. Mini JLH cum HC Lin.

When you have done that and stopped bean counting, talk to me.

An extra transistor to me is a lost opportunity. Find a spec and Gold medal for least parts. In this example the size is ultra critical and may well have to be surface mount. My major design task it a correct lithium iron battery charger. Boeing will say why.

Naim and Quad . Many times better than the sum of the parts. I can only think in some way the amp only works with the ESL 57's. Deep sound stage and sweet with speed. The Nait has exactly the power they need. I dare say a capacitor upgrade worth doing. Tantalum's out.

Without any exaggeration Nait + 57's beat to oblivion Martin Logan + Krell. It wasn't subtle. It is about working well together. The best Krell sound I heard was with of all things Linn Isobariks!! That was with Musical Fidelity The Preamp also ( LP 12 ) .

Last edited:
He didn't say whose and which model. Since he says he's a patriot, could be from Koss.

I don't know what does "overpriced" really mean. Some take it on price alone, others do try to consider how much work went into them, some love headphones, others hate them, etc. In short, it's a very relative thing.

Mine used to cost €350 for a plain black case, or €499 in a swanky big case, with copper bottom and a thick machined front plate, and in true dual mono configuration.

I thought that was a fair price, given that I hand matched trnsistors throughout the device, checked literally every component that went into it, etc. But I am well aware that people who don't care much for earphones will think that a rip-off, since they can buy some Chinese made junk for about 10% of the lower price. IT looks the business, but in reality, inside it's almost the same thing they give you in commercial devices, one dual op amp and that's it. I love headphones for late night listening, so I guess my value scale is much different.

The semiconductor output stage uses 50W devices ... VERY much in pure class A.

So you have a pure Class A headphone amp you sell? I see, that's cool.

If you are the factory or inventor you can charge the price you consider right.

I think overpriced is mostly within the retailer side, such as when they buy a speaker for $100 and sell for $700.

If he was using Koss it would be the DJ100 maybe, they don't have many models.

Last edited:
Going back and thinking about hearing limitations and the audio industry. When I owned a stereo store in the late '70s and early '80s, my store manager wore hearing aids. Yes, he took them off for critical listening. One of the other employees had worked on jet engines when he was in the military, and had a severe loss at 5k.

In both cases, they seemed at least as able to tell what sounded good and what didn't.

As for profit margins, none of the equipment we had, including Magnepan, Audio Research, etc. had more than a 50% margin. If it sold for $1000, we typically paid the manufacturer $600 for it. Exceptions were low-end phono carts, where we paid $7.50 for a "$60 retail". These were the things you got "free" with your turntable.

I love this bit:

Because of the logarithmic nature of the decibel scale, it is difficult to grasp how much acoustic energy is in a single gunshot. The acoustic energy in a single report from a high-power rifle or shotgun is equivalent to almost 40 hours of continuous exposure at 90 dBA. In other words, one bullet equals one week of hazardous occupational noise exposure. Because shells are often packaged in boxes of 50, shooting one box of shells without hearing protection is equivalent to working in a 90 dBA environment for a full year! An avid target shooter can produce an entire year's worth of hazardous occupational noise exposure in just a few minutes on the target range.
An excellent demonstration of how lopsided people's thinking on what to worry about can be ...

Status
Not open for further replies.