Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
EVERYBODY says that. Never met anyone who said: 'my hearing is really below average'.

It's a bit like IQ. Basically everyone feels their IQ is 'above average'. Yet, by definition, half of the people are below average. ;)

Jan

I do better because it's my rules. It's called irrepressible confidence. I am never wrong about my taste. It has improved with time perhaps? That is I listen to more music and like it. The hi fi had to change to allow that.

I am a bad as the next person in controlled tests. It's just I am not worried about it. I know many are. I do genuinely do a bit better just due to lack of fear.

I won't pass other people tests as usually I am very very bored very very quickly. It's like going to a Cat House , it just isn't how I fall in love.

I find it a bit odd that no-one's mentioned the power of dreams. They are amazingly powerful.

There are two types of dreams, the literally taken dreams as our adventures while we sleep, and dreams as our life long ideas we know well because we strive towards them. Sometimes, it can get all mixed up.

A while ago, I dreamt that I finally managed to acquire not one, but two Maserati cars (I am a Maserati fan). I parked them for safe keeping. For the next 2 or 3 days, I wrecked my brains trying to remember WHERE I parked them. The illusion/dream was so compelling that it took me 3 or 4 days to realize that it was just a dream. And just when I managed to get a 1979 Maserati Indy, the most beautiful thing on 4 wheels I ever saw which proves that building cars can actually be art.

Nobody can get us the way we can get ourselves.

This would be an excellent target for an ABX demo. You randomly switch on the flicker or non-flicker-LED, and ask 'viewers' to record on a sheet what they think it is, flicker or non-flicker.
Look at the results - if there is a statistically significant 'good answers' you may conclude that people can reliably differentiate between flicker and non-flicker. If not, then not. Easy.

Of course the usual conditions apply, like neither the viewers nor the switcher should know what is what. Better yet, a computerized switcher that also has as a random sequence the possibility of two flickers or two non-flickers (or even more!) in a row. Also, enough viewers, enough trials, bla bla..

Should be done, complete with a written report, in an evening.
Eyes only.

jan

I rather would extend that test:
Have a light source with and without flicker. Adjust the flicker frequency just so that it is _not_ detected in your ABX like test.
Then let one group work a day with "flicker light" and another with non flickering light. Test both groups for concentration, how tired they are, having headache or not etc. after this day.
I think you can guess the result...

Last edited:
debunked that strawman already

circular illogic? - how do you know that what you feel is related to the phenom under question

and the flicker is a poor example - motion gives easily objectively rated strobe effects, can even tell hundreds of Hz frame/strobe rates by just fanning your spread fingers in the way of the light source

so staring steadily at a illuminated static point doesn't constitute a valid test now does it?

you can say there are many example tests that are missing important controls or restricting the domain too much - but then you should detail your concerns - and do a controlled, blinded test that addresses them

you can use all knowledge, even suspicions in designing a controlled test

the gold standard in Science is replication by multiple researchers using tests of the "the same" phenomena from different perspectives,
particularly seeing transitivity - predicting the result of tests in substantially different contexts which have the employ the same sense mechanism

but in the end we believe there is no avoiding blinding protocols when people are involved - our brains are deeply hardwired to "cheat" - use any clue, including unconscious expectations

and these expectations do have real effects, do change reported impressions when present - those are strong positive test results that occur in over and over in human sensory testing

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I do better because it's my rules. It's called irrepressible confidence. I am never wrong about my taste. It has improved with time perhaps? That is I listen to more music and like it. The hi fi had to change to allow that.

I am a bad as the next person in controlled tests. It's just I am not worried about it. I know many are. I do genuinely do a bit better just due to lack of fear.

I won't pass other people tests as usually I am very very bored very very quickly. It's like going to a Cat House , it just isn't how I fall in love.

Of course your taste is your taste, nobody can argue with that, it is your 'yard stick'. But by that same token it is a bit nonsensical to also state that your hearing is better than most. Especially since a) there's no way of you to know, and b) has nothing to do with taste.

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I met a guy from NASA who was a systems psychologist. He said it is amassing how when something becomes expensive the pilot error is more allowed for. His job was to set out instruments in the best order to give fast warnings. His said it is technically impossible to fly a spacecraft on instruments. What is possible is to make the few systems that might matter easy to take control of. He went on to say it is mildly wicked to blame pilot error in aircraft. It is done because it is expedient.

Well I don't know about spacecraft, but as a pilot-in-training for light aircraft, let me tell you, if I make a bad landing it is NOT the plane's fault :eek:

Jan

OK, then don't guess ;-)
At any rate, the sensitivity of typical ABX test for audio seems to be rarely (if at all) checked. Extrapolating from a null result then, like it's usually done, is rather questionable, especially when they rely solely on what participants tell you. Other types of (blind) tests might be more appropriate, once they are validated. Additional measurements of participants reactions would be on order before something is declared "inaudible".

Of course your taste is your taste, nobody can argue with that, it is your 'yard stick'. But by that same token it is a bit nonsensical to also state that your hearing is better than most. Especially since a) there's no way of you to know, and b) has nothing to do with taste.

Jan

Ah . You got that very wrong. I do better in listening tests because as they said in Gone with the wind " Frankly my dear I don't give a dam ". I find the attitude of those around me makes a difference. If all are relaxed it goes better. As I have said before. Play the exact same thing twice and the second time is , Louder, deep, more open and usually better. It is not a mistake . It is just how it works. Learning brain, usual brain. When I go to these tests I usually insist we do this. They seem dumfounded and it is not in their procedural notes. That means all of their science is wrong. They even think it is a trick. Often people say it was the clearest difference as it is the one that should be impossible. I hope I haven't wasted a bit more of my life saying this. Bad science.

My daughter is Ashburgers Autistic and her hearing is 300 % better than average ( not a clue what that means) . This is a hypothesis of the team in Oxford looking into the condition . We allowed her to be tested. Both my kids are autistic and it follows I might be and from that you might infer? People with Williams syndrome also. The hearing thing is not the question. It is the ability to focus on something. OCD and hearing.

Autism , blindness and deafness affect all people to a greater or lesser extent. Pitch perception is usually good in most people and is what is usually in question when enjoying music. Testing tonal colour means absolutely nothing except matters of taste. Perspective and discordant traits are arguable. People with profound hearing loss sometimes are the most accurate judges of traditional hi fi traits. That is mid band colouration and transient clarity ( piano ) .They find anything aggressive to set off whatever defect they live with. Many could not endure live music.

My ability to listen to people is very poor. That is not the same thing.

I just went on a fuel forum as I was interested to see what they thought of the rubbish I buy. I then saw this gem. Hi fi is the same.

" no mpg out of tesco, full of ethanol and chit to thin it out.

i can get 560miles to a tank in bp of maxol,
tesco and asda drops like hell to 380.

tested it tons of times, just won't buy it now."

I should clarify the profound hearing loss thing ( raised by Gilbert Briggs and my lifetime of observations ). It is possible why this contradiction is so marked is those who persist with hi fi when profoundly deaf may not be a representative sample. They are the ones who still find value in owning good hi fi. Their need is greatest. They do not hear the whole spectrum so nit pick the bit they can hear. Their mechanism is intact in some ways ( speed ). They often have tinnitus which is made worse by excessive volume. Micro detail is the most valuable thing to them and the use of audio memory fills in. Beethoven would have understood I guess.correct.

I have just sent this to someone. In a nutshell it combines all the problems and the ways we accept a thing to be good or bad. The speaker is both atrocious and wonderful. The reviewer is blind.

http://www.onethingaudio.webspace.virginmedia.com/FOR/QUA/57/9512-QUA-57-REV-CS2.htm

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Eloquently shows how ignorant people are, doesn't it?

No its not ignorance at all! I would bet that almost anyone, when detachedly (sp?) considering this, would say: yes of course, that's non-sense, how can anyone say so!

But it is a basic tenet of humans that we are disposed to blindly assume 'I' am better than most, or maybe the best of all! This is evolutions' way of making sure that we go on and on and survive against all odds - if we would be aware of our shortcomings and insignificance we would have disappeared from the face of this earth long ago!
So this kind of behaviour is very important as it enhance out 'success' in life.

Then again, we DO have the capacity to look at things the way they are, especially when it does NOT concern ourselves but others. That's why we feel we make all the smart posts while all the others are the stupid ones. ;), not realizing that 'the others' think exactly the same thing about us!
Are we not an interesting breed??

jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
OK, then don't guess ;-)
At any rate, the sensitivity of typical ABX test for audio seems to be rarely (if at all) checked. Extrapolating from a null result then, like it's usually done, is rather questionable, especially when they rely solely on what participants tell you. Other types of (blind) tests might be more appropriate, once they are validated. Additional measurements of participants reactions would be on order before something is declared "inaudible".

If you suggest to do some kind of calibration, to generate controlled differences and see how well they can be heard, to establish a baseline, yes I totally agree!
SY may have more to say about this.

jan

Status
Not open for further replies.