Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone here ever contemplated an output transformer for a transistor amp ? It would make for nicer voltage levels inside the amp ( multiple devices at low voltage +/- 55V ) . The amp could be direct connected also . An auto transformer could be used , it might be better .

Some people say if class D has a sonic advantage it is the need to remove the modulation carrier wave . Sony in 1979 told me that the choke to be obvious and rather nice . You never know the output transformer might do the same . As a way of minimizing crossover distortion it is good . The amp would run at a constant gain without a volume control . The volume would be by taps . Doubtless a level ( tweak ) control a nice idea . It means you could eliminate much nasty circuitry like the volume pot . Tweak could be by feedback loop gain ( +/- 3dB ) .

If you know about transformers . Is there a sensibly priced metal better than M6 ?

Last edited:
Has anyone here ever contemplated an output transformer for a transistor amp ? It would make for nicer voltage levels inside the amp ( multiple devices at low voltage +/- 55V ) . The amp could be direct connected also . An auto transformer could be used , it might be better .

Some people say if class D has a sonic advantage it is the need to remove the modulation carrier wave . Sony in 1979 told me that the choke to be obvious and rather nice . You never know the output transformer might do the same . As a way of minimizing crossover distortion it is good . The amp would run at a constant gain without a volume control . The volume would be by taps . Doubtless a level ( tweak ) control a nice idea . It means you could eliminate much nasty circuitry like the volume pot . Tweak could be by feedback loop gain ( +/- 3dB ) .

If you know about transformers . Is there a sensibly priced metal better than M6 ?
100V line systems do this as per normal....EWIS systems require amps that run on 24V DC......transformer coupled outpputs is the norm.
I agree, D Class amps could well benefit with a suitable output trannie....1:1 would work, maybe different ratios might be subtly better.
Tapped output autotransformer and related switching would be far too expensive for typical gear.

Dan.

Last edited:
Agreed - I think the HF roughness is a result of very poor PSRR at those frequencies and insufficient attention paid to supply decoupling. But I'm relatively new to the class D game....

I was thinking only yesterday about putting a trafo on the output of class D - but I reckon a similar effect can be obtained by paralleling chips. Gotta do a fair amount of experimenting....:p

Last edited:
iZNKDoW.jpg

This is a Stan Gould ( 1988 ) Class A + H amp said to be used by Turbosound ( Flashlight and Floodlight amps ) . It has high efficient ( 70 % compared with AB 52% ) and real 20 W class A .

Interesting to look at class D . Usually feedback of 20 dB is about the limit . This requires high intrinsic linearity . Seeing as Hypex do OK they must be highly linear . The Hypex amps are very simple ( deceptively ) . If not the problems would get out of control . Thus by default they make an amp in my style .

My class AB output transformer is in fact a gear box ( auto TF ) . As I think Dan was saying not unlike 100V line when wanting output above the rms of the amp direct . My proposal was to use the transformer as a volume control . Just think how nice to use an amp always at it's best linearity . Also the drive into difficult loads would be excellent at critical listening levels ( < 10 V rms ) . I dare say it rolling off at 60 kHz no bad thing . Feedback taken which ever way works best . I will have to try a mains variac and see where is goes ( smoke ? ) . It might not be as awful as it seems . I tried a toroidal mains transformer as output device and was rather surprised .

Well I'm for anything that will fix the top end on class-d amplification ....

PSU design seems to be important . All the usual things . Use a scope and analyzer to see what's going on inside the PSU and seek solutions . I really don't think SMPS is a good idea as it isn't synchronized with the output oscillator . Make the PSU as large as you would for class AB . The project I did recently didn't have that luxury which caused me much trouble . If the RF that comes from the amp is only the self generated stuff I am reasonably happy to say as good as most class AB .

My PA friends say Class AB 100 kg ( 220 lbs )
Class H 50 kg
Class D 25 kg

Most prefer class H on all counts ( Turbosound ) . Broken backs v sound quality .

Unless one has very efficient loudspeakers, 112 dB peaks, and clean, will require some whopping amplification.

Theoretically, my Karan amp delivers 22 dBW as standard specs, while my speaker do 92 dB/2.83V/1m. So, I should be able to expect peaks of (92+22) 114 dB at 1m. But that amp delivers 180W/8 Ohms. So if one's speakers are of the 89 dB/2.83V/1m persuasion, that power would need to double. But if I owned say JBL 4312, rated at 95 dB/2.83V/1m, that power could halve.

Not the simplest of things to achieve, and I fear the reasoning is beyond... most people. I am constantly amazed at how randomly people purchase gear.

Don't forget that 6-9 db loss at listening distance, typically 2.5 -3 M ..... ;)

UBn2LdE.jpg

Courtesy of ESP Audio , a concept class G circuit . If the rails are changed the lower circuit can be class A . It could be 16 W 4 R and reverting to AB if above that ( biasing using Vbe as here will do that ) . What I like about this circuit is the simplicity . Sure it will have switching spikes . These are in some ways easier to deal with than AB distortion . If the lower amp is class A a very nasty problem is avoided ( AB ) . If you think about it two simple switching problems are better than one impossible class AB problem . Dvv your fix for AB is about the best you can do . It is highly frowned upon by book writers . However the idea that a bias tracking system works as they say I found to be unlikely . The music itself alters bias .

Dvv your amp behaves almost like a class G where the A bit is a couple of watts . You too have two spikes ( gm doubling ) . Why not ? At least then it isn't a kazoo . Under-biased AB ( B ) has MP3 effects . Sometimes called optimum bias class B . I have doubts it is . That doubt is I never got the bias to stay where it should . I used examples given as perfect , they were not much better .

Don't dismiss Carver . The Sunfire class AB with tracking PSU can do very high current .

Bob Stewart's Meridian 105 was said to be a totem-pole as in the early days . It isn't . Dvv it echos your amp a bit . I liked it especially with Gale 401's or LS3/5A . Totem pole ( Bean stalk ) and class G look similar .
http://www.meridian-audio.info/public/105_v1_service_manual[3908].pdf ( Page 10 )

Last edited:
My PA friends say Class AB 100 kg ( 220 lbs )
Class H 50 kg
Class D 25 kg

Most prefer class H on all counts ( Turbosound ) . Broken backs v sound quality .

Of course, the weight ratio between linear supply and smps is easily 2:1 or more, so put it in a matrix.

From what I heard, pa has pretty much turned to class D for new investments, for mobile approaching 100 %. Also because it sounds great.

Status
Not open for further replies.