Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Sri Lanka , 4 Star all inclusive 10 days . Direct from Heathrow ( Turkish airlines ?? ) £1045 . Not bad . Hotel is good on Trip Adviser . Malaria thought low risk . August 23 rd . As it is near the Equator I doubt the temperature changes much ? Monsoon perhaps ?

I went on a motorized raft up the river Qui (found out there are actually 2 river Qui's... going in different directions). Stayed near shore - jungle inland - at a place called the Jungle Hotel. really. Got pictures to prove it. Learned that the region (lower west of Thailand and Burma (Myanmar) is the world's epi-center for Malaria. :eek: never took any meds before or after. Just use a net over your bed and dont go inland up small tributaries... its beautiful in there and the water crystal clear and drinkable. But, I found a LOT of mosquitoes were there looking for food. Got back out of there fast. The river has meat eating fish that ate the scrapes of meat still on the lunch's chicken bones we threw in the water next to the raft. Nothing boring about that scene nor the adventure.

-Richard

Last edited:
I went on a motorized raft up the river Qui (found out there are actually 2 river Qui's... going in different directions). Stayed near shore - jungle inland - at a place called the Jungle Hotel. really. Got pictures to prove it. Learned that the region (lower west of Thailand and Burma (Myanmar) is the world's epi-center for Malaria. :eek: never took any meds before or after. Just use a net over your bed and dont go inland up small tributaries... its beautiful in there and the water crystal clear and drinkable. But, I found a LOT of mosquitoes were there looking for food. Got back out of there fast. The river has meat eating fish that ate the scrapes of meat still on the lunch's chicken bones we threw in the water next to the raft. Nothing boring about that scene nor the adventure.

-Richard

Thanks for saying that . In want to go and will if asked . Colleen might be right and danger is everywhere . They make them tough in Birmingham ( UK and USA I think ) .

The service manual is in your mail, Nige.

All 16.6 MB of PDF of it.

Cheers,
DVV

Just had a very quick look . Overload margin should be excellent with 38 V rails ( ? ) . In fact it has exactly what we talked about maybe 18 months ago . Discreet op-amps . The thing I suspect that is less than ideal are the output stages of these home brew op amps . The bias might be a fraction low . You could increase the bias current or select diodes with higher voltage burden , the former is the better I feel as it does two things at once . You could put in a feed forward capacitor although mostly they don't work for me ( between the diodes then to the output ) . You could add a small resistor between the diodes to find 0.1V +. As it is not a power amp there should be no tracking to worry about as long as it doesn't run away . You could run up to 14 mA ( 2K7 diodes to rail if 38 V ) perhaps ? Other than that it is rather beautiful . As you hint it might not be a design weakness and just component age .

I looked again . I think I see 60 V . Wow . Do the maths as that is a game changer . My mistake 40 V and they beat me to it on current as it is what they choose . The resistor addition ( > 7R5 between diodes ) seems favorite . C404b is where I am looking from . Try Panasonic non polar cap there as C404 . It might beat big money caps . Up to 0.3 V rms they are rather good . That is not at all bad when a preamp level . Distortion is about -150 dB if un-polarised below 0.3V . They beat Black Gate caps when tested !

Last edited:
Quite so, Nige, on all accounts.

Note the bizzare compensation cap at the second output stage trannie; one is locally compensated, the other is not ?!?

I fail to understand what was wrong with using a classic output stage, driver and output pair, rather than this, no driver, but doubled output trannies, and small signal at that? If they wanted elevated current capability, surely that would have been better, as one could stick a pair of common BD 139/140 trannies and drive 100 Ohm loads with them.

I'll have to look up the properties of the output stage trannies, but I suspect Motorola MPSA 56/06 (100 MHz, 80V) or MPSA 42/92 (60 MHz, 250V) could be likely candidates. Whatever, my first step will be to create a model in my sim program, see what I get, then play around with it some before doing anything.

Whatever comes at the output, they will be hand matched trannies, that's for sure, and I doubt they are so now.

And yes, +/-38V is a dynamic window opened real WIDE.

Last edited:
If you like, I can send you the other two service manuals (tuner and power amp), but I saw no point to it, as both work just fine.

That's what got me thinking about the components. Somebody obviously did a lot of hard work, in Holland and/or Japan, to create really high quality stuff way back in 1979. It stands to reason they actually did some hand-on listening, and unless they were hearing impaired, I don't think it likely they would let the preamp spoil the show.

If so, then the component quality is the most likely culprit. I don't shy away from changing the components, but I do shy away from changing the basic design. I know it can be done, but somehow, to me, that's disrespectful to the designers, who were obviously far removed from being fools. It's all too well throught out, you don't see it from the schematic, but ALL pots are the best Noble had to offer at the time, very high class. Pain was staken to get it right.

Ahhh finish the Centurion and move on ..... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• assembly2.jpg
    assembly2.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 131
  • assembly4.jpg
    assembly4.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 136
Whats the story with Mickelson ...? investigation..?

In the end people with the wrong friends do stupid things sometimes. Off hand stock tips seem pretty innocent when twice removed, OTOH I don't think he'll do the Martha Stewart.

We've adopted measures to prevent this stuff, lots of blackout dates and a blanket ban on selling short by any employee. You would not believe how it was in the past, on line day trading out of your 401k including shorts.

Last edited:
In the end people with the wrong friends do stupid things sometimes. Off hand stock tips seem pretty innocent when twice removed, OTOH I don't think he'll do the Martha Stewart.

We've adopted measures to prevent this stuff, lots of blackout dates and a blanket ban on selling short by any employee. You would not believe how it was in the past, on line day trading out of your 401k including shorts.

Yep, the owners hate when they are usurped ..... :)

I've always wanted to visit, maybe someday. Been to Wales, London, Ireland, but never manged it.

Spend 2 weeks with richard and the 4 girls , out in the bushes , if you survive you will be reborn ... :)

:rofl:

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Hey Richard, get them this one and Graduate to Surround ..... :)

LG?s new curved, 105-inch TV - Video Dailymotion

That or the new Samsung 65 inch curved UHD TV that just landed over here..... you can watch it sitting closer than older technologies for a more immersive experience and it is still super clear and sharp. Great addition to the condo over here. Plus all the bells and whistles that come with it.... camera for face recognition, hand gestures instead of a RC and Internet browsing, of course, wireless, etc etc. etc. A computer with a TV built in.The UHD is truely stunning to watch. Surround? But of course.

Wha chu tink, mahn?

THx-RNMarsh

I've always wanted to visit, maybe someday. Been to Wales, London, Ireland, but never manged it.

Roughly the same was with me. I lived right across the Bristol channel from Wales, been all around the place, but never got to Scotland while I was in the UK and visited later on. I left UK in 1970.

Then, in 2009, somebody organizes a congress in Edinburgh, my wife gets invited to deliver a lecture and chair something, so naturally, I hitch on. 39 years later.

Briefly, Edinburgh fulfilled all my expectations and then some. Over time, my expectations did grow, you know, like a castle in the sky thing, but I am glad to say that Edinburgh is one of the few places I have been to where I would gladly go to live. It sat very well with me, the general atmosphere and especially the people. The only thing I didn't like was the rain, which was plentyful even in July.

Do go to Scotland by all means, Scott, and savor the experience in anticipation as you would fine wine. I did, and since then, the call tune on my cell phone is "Scotland The Brave" - I kid you not.

Status
Not open for further replies.