Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, long time noo see ! I hope all goes well for you and happy new year !
(I haven't touched audio stuff for a long time but interest came back, so I'm working on a few projects right now... I'll post more stuff when I have the time.)

New projects - good! I was just about to blast you for giving up something you were excellent at. That's always a shame.

Yes, please do post some of your work. Hopefully, the last we communicated, you were about to finish up a power amp along the No Memory Distortion (Lavaredine) lines. You can start with that.

Last edited:
Gilbert Becaud - Monsieur 100,000 Volts

The French nicknamed him Monsieur 100,000 Volts. And rightly so, in my view, he could combine gentle with fiery emotion like nobody else I know of.

Yves Montand was more refined, a bit like a gentleman's artist, while Jacques Brel was about 112.4% original, truly the one and only composer/performer. His only equivalent in this world is, I believe, Paul Simon.

The worst of it is that most Americans have actually heard a number of works from the above people, but don't know it, because in North America their songs were by default sung by locals. As an off hand example, the song "Seasons In The Sun" by Terry Jacks.

That's one of the problems in this world; we know very little outside of our own small world bubble. :)
I'm talkin' real life here, not the cyber space.

Last edited:
That's one of the problems in this world; we know very little outside of our own small world bubble. :)
I'm talkin' real life here, not the cyber space.

I am glad to say speak for yourself. To the west, I got as far as the East Coast of USA (unfortunately no further), but in my defence I got to see a lot of it, from Boston down to DC, would have loved to have seen Florida as well. To the East, I got as far as Taiwan, and fell in love with Thailand.

In Europe, there's just a half handful of countries I have not been to - Portugal, Sweden, Norway, Finland and Luxembourg of the regulars, and Ireland, which I will visit if it's the last thing I do. NOBODY has been to Albania.

Actually resided in UK for three years. Actually resided in Turkey for 5 years. Actually resided in Egypt for two years. Done all that by 1974.

Unfortunately, I have not been to South America at all, and I am sad to say, I have not visited Australia and New Zealand, which I would love to do.

The world is a hell of an interesting place, so much variety, we don't even realize how incredbly rich we are as a species.

Even in our beloved audio. For example, I seriously doubt many of you folks have the foggiest of ideas just how plentyful and varied the Brazilian audio industry is - truly incredible.

Last edited:
Yes Ackee and saltfish (codfish)works for me also, the saltfish Sparrow is singing about is a little chewey and impossible to swallow, young or old...

:D

Sparrow - Saltfish - YouTube

I usually boil it in milk before I use it in a recipe. Makes it easier to chew and swallow.

A while ago I saw a musical documentary. Seems all those latin american rhythms plus blues and reggae come directly from West Africa. Which one became the local flavour depended on where most of the slaves came from in that instance.

Outside of the country, the odd brute was a curiosity. It was often derided as the ugliest motorcycle in the world, and probably one of the worst to ride. Cycle World reviewed the 1600 and their polite restraint is palpable on the page. It’s clear that the Amazonas was utterly horrific to ride. Slow, heavy, under braked, clunky controls, square-tyred, and with a non-existant “suspension”, it was a disaster to ride for anyone familiar with modern motorbikes. Reviews convey a curious fascination with how crude and unusual it was compared to… Everything. Once you looked past the charm of a cobbled together, tough as Twinkies, Beetle-powered cruiser it was clear that the Amazonas was quite terrible in every conceivable metric.
OddBike: Amazonas 1600 - Beetle Powered Brazilian Behemoth
On road weight...900lbs :eek: .

Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.