Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
The Circuit

Bob Carver Goes Wild!The new Carver amplifiers should be understood as a collaborative effort between Bob Carver (pictured here) and Tim de Paravicini. Bob relates the following: "Tim and I got together a few summers ago in a small California town (Sebastopol) when he came from England to do a service call on his amps for a big record company. I'll never forget that day as long as I live. Tim designed the input and driver stages, and together we designed the output stage. I designed the power supply. Tim taught me how to design the output transformer." The input signal is AC coupled to a 100 kOhm potentiometer, which defines the amplifier's input impedance. The input stage uses a 12AX7 configured as a long-tail pair phase splitter using a large tail resistor to ensure constant current source operation. The driver stage uses a 12AT7 also configured as a long-tail pair.

Feedback is essential to the success of any push-pull power amp. The Cherry 180 uses three feedback loops. Current and voltage feedback loops are taken from the output transformer secondary to the input stage. Another short loop from the transformer's primary to the driver stage provides high-frequency compensation, a scheme Bob says he copied this from the Marantz model Nine.

Bob Carver Cherry 180 Tube Monoblock Amplifier One of the most significant tube amplifiers of the past 60 years! Review By Dick Olsher

I think it is time to start production of my Pyramid: 4 years after people are chasing, and some are already close. :D
At least, now they are ready to accept it without too much criticism of unusual solutions.

Based on the Carver and other interviews , such solutions have been with us for sometime now. Anyway go ahead and finish , please no 25 watt deal , i hope it 's real world power , like 100watts +

:c_flag:

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Interesting interview with Bob Carver about his new tube amplifier designed by both him and Tim de Paravicini . Bob's a serious Hi-Fi guy , notice the 1 ohm Tap ..:)

He's prepared ..... :Olympic:

Bob Carver Cherry 180 Tube Monoblock Amplifier One of the most significant tube amplifiers of the past 60 years! Review By Dick Olsher

Another : Carver VTA180M Tube Monoblocks – Reviews | TONEAudio MAGAZINE

From the article: "I agree with Tim to the extent that high damping factors are not a panacea for bass control. It's the source impedance/speaker impedance interaction that worries me as it can result in significant adulteration of the speaker's frequency response."

Thank goodness.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Not that I'm aware. Too bad, he combines the performance art of fashion audio with a really innovative approach to product concept. I'd love to meet him and have a few drinks one of these days.

He complains in the Olsher review that he types slowly.

Yes, an endearing character whom I've not met either, although I did communicate with his wife years ago when wanting to license a patent for a client. I'm most impressed with the names he coins (remember the "autocorrelator" in one of the Phase Linear preamps?).

Status
Not open for further replies.