Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally, that's the kind of thing I'd actually do, but Allen retired a few years ago and we're in hoarding mode. :D

A Serbian fellow who used to work for me sent me a jar of a really delicious sauce that's apparently common there, made from red bell peppers, red pepper, and garlic. Can't remember the name. Not super hot, but very strong flavor, quite delicious. I'm not usually a fan of Eastern or Mittel European food, but for that I make an exception.

Attachments

• Opie.jpg
    Opie.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 106
To some, difference between Arabica and Robusta is very large.
Having coffee from Robusta beans results in heavy transpiring, heart rate going giddyup, insomnia, upset stomach, especially in combination with a habit of eating a lot of chili paste.
I'm somewhat of an espresso junkie, pure arabica, from early morning till late evening, zero problems.

I make my sambal fresh once a week, have been for over 40 years (cut my ration down from +1lb to half a pound a week a couple of years ago though).
Regular chili pepper stuff in a jar barely tastes other than salty.
(also smoke kretek cigarettes whenever i can get hold of some since childhood days)

For hotties, Tabasco is kid stuff, barely hot and not exactly tasty, last resort when all else ran out.
In gulash, i use this stuff from Spain : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/103130-pumpkin-preamp-perfect-f4-6.html#post1254946

(Italian food and chili is a crime, save pasta with aglio, olio, and peperoncino)

Jacco, you should visit Leskovac. That is smaller city, pop. about 100,000, some 300 km south of Belgrade. They are the heart of the paprika country, and produce just about every type of paprika you can imagine, and then some you can't imagine.

From nice and docile to rocket fuel calibre. :D

The army must have loved me to send me there for my basic training way back in 1980. I know I loved the place.

Needless to say, they have a few local dishes, specialties, some of which are supposed to be hot. The only trouble you will have is to convince the restaurant staff to give you the real deal, they naturally hesitate to do so "as is", simply because they don't want to be accused of murder. But, if you are persistent, you might get it. Then - watch out. May both God and Devil be with you, you'll need them both, I guarantee it, in a pure class A push-pull configuration.

The hottest type are small chillies, a localized (cross-bred) subtype of the Burmese hottie. It looks like a straight Burmese, but it's hotter - a LOT hotter. Watch out for that one.

Normally, that's the kind of thing I'd actually do, but Allen retired a few years ago and we're in hoarding mode. :D

A Serbian fellow who used to work for me sent me a jar of a really delicious sauce that's apparently common there, made from red bell peppers, red pepper, and garlic. Can't remember the name. Not super hot, but very strong flavor, quite delicious. I'm not usually a fan of Eastern or Mittel European food, but for that I make an exception.

I think you are referring to what is locally called "ljutenica". It's an idiom, so it cannot be translated directly, but roughly that means "something on the hot side".

There is another, MUCH more popular version of that called "ajvar". Basically, it's made in a similar way, ground paprika, ground eggplant (no more than 30%), ground chilli if you want it hot, and is served with very small cut pieces of garlic. I am now salivating, so I'll stop. Love the stuff.

As for exceptions, you'd be surprised at how many you'd make locally, only provided the stuff was home made, or was ordered in a good place only the locals are likely to know.

Trust me on that, I have so ruined quite a lot Americans.:D The one thing about you Yanks, you are really quick to catch on to the good stuff and make the most of it. Naturally, as the host, I am most pleased with that.

Probably the best thing about the local cuisine is that it's so varied. This shouldn't surprise anyone, given the number of minorities which exist in Serbia - Croats, Hungarians, Slovaks, Rumanians, Bulgarians, Roma (Gypsy), Jews and so forth to number 21, and confessions - orthodox christians, Roman catholics, muslims and Jews.

So, if you are celebrating say the birth of a child, you know in advance you will have all three confessions and probably like at least 5 or 6 minorities. Thus, you have to make sure each and every one of them has a decent choice of dishes, which implies a great variance. So, great variance you get.

Remember, Serbs are basically a farming nation, and we live on some exceptionally fertile land, so there's an abundance of food.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
My grandfather, a WWI vet, was a "hot head" from way back. He used to grow and dry his own chillies, there were always strings of them hanging around. He put hot sauce on everything, much to the delite of us kids, who found it waaaaay too hot. Grandpa wouldn't eat Tabasco sauce "No flavor" he always said. He preferred Texas Pete.

Back in the early 70s we brought him some jalapeños from south Texas. He was thrilled. "Just what I've been trying to do for years, cross a chilli pepper with a bell pepper. Hot and sweet."

I can sure dig the paprika hot sauces. Years ago a little old Jewish lady from Morocco taught me how to make her hot sauce that I loved so well. Mostly paprika, some cumin, garlic, oil, salt. Not super hot, but super delicious. It's addictive.

I think you are referring to what is locally called "ljutenica". It's an idiom, so it cannot be translated directly, but roughly that means "something on the hot side".

There is another, MUCH more popular version of that called "ajvar". Basically, it's made in a similar way, ground paprika, ground eggplant (no more than 30%), ground chilli if you want it hot, and is served with very small cut pieces of garlic. I am now salivating, so I'll stop. Love the stuff.

As for exceptions, you'd be surprised at how many you'd make locally, only provided the stuff was home made, or was ordered in a good place only the locals are likely to know.

Trust me on that, I have so ruined quite a lot Americans.:D The one thing about you Yanks, you are really quick to catch on to the good stuff and make the most of it. Naturally, as the host, I am most pleased with that.

Probably the best thing about the local cuisine is that it's so varied. This shouldn't surprise anyone, given the number of minorities which exist in Serbia - Croats, Hungarians, Slovaks, Rumanians, Bulgarians, Roma (Gypsy), Jews and so forth to number 21, and confessions - orthodox christians, Roman catholics, muslims and Jews.

So, if you are celebrating say the birth of a child, you know in advance you will have all three confessions and probably like at least 5 or 6 minorities. Thus, you have to make sure each and every one of them has a decent choice of dishes, which implies a great variance. So, great variance you get.

Remember, Serbs are basically a farming nation, and we live on some exceptionally fertile land, so there's an abundance of food.

Here:

http://www.walkerswood.com/product_scotch_bonnet_pepper_sauce.php

Speaking of food...

I enjoy reading this book: Amazon.com: Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats (9780967089737): Sally Fallon, Mary Enig: Books

From Amazon page:

Nourishing Traditions will tell you:

Why your body needs old fashioned animal fats

Why butter is a health food

How high-cholesterol diets promote good health

How saturated fats protect the heart

How rich sauces help you digest and assimilate your food

Why grains and legumes need special preparation to provide optimum benefits

About enzyme-enhanced food and beverages that can provide increased energy and vitality

Why high-fiber, lowfat diets can cause vitamin and mineral deficiencies

Last edited:
Ajvar, that's the one. Delicious. It was some local brand that his family uses.

Yeah, it's used as a salad, i.e. a side dish, along with the main course. It's also used as a spread for a piece of bread, etc.

That's usually the milder version, although Some Like It Hot (like me).

The other type, "ljutenica", is basically the same thing, but not ground so finely as ajvar, and hot by default - trying how hot you do at your own peril.:p

Speaking of food...

I enjoy reading this book: Amazon.com: Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats (9780967089737): Sally Fallon, Mary Enig: Books

From Amazon page:

About enzyme-enhanced food and beverages that can provide increased energy and vitality

Wave, my dear fellow, I am 6'3'' tall (189 cm) and I weigh about 115 kg (app. 250 lbs). There's a reason for that, I have invested a lot of time and money into my own well-being. :D

And in the process, I totally beat anorexia !!! :D :D :D

I'm no gourmet, I'm just a regular guy who does not give a damn, but gives three dams about what he eats.

And while I love trying out new dishes, I am totally anti-fashion; for example, I plain hate sushi, and feel it is the reason why the Japanese developed the art of suicide (sepuka, hara-kiri). With food like that, I'd kill myself too.

I am also old fashioned. I feel NOTHING beats a suckling piggy or a lamb on a spit. Well, maybe a politician or two would. :D

My dear Dvv, I am 182 cm, 162 lbs, 54 years old. Why I enjoy this book, because it in addition to scientific explanations written by PhD in lipids contains lots of healthy recipes from traditions all around the world.

I am also old fashioned. I feel NOTHING beats a suckling piggy or a lamb on a spit. Well, maybe a politician or two would. :D

I would never eat a politician feed by fast food. :D

Last edited:
Speaking of food...

From Amazon page:

Bravo!
Luckily I never listened to my doctor, I'm still eating a good asado (barbecue) on the grill, and the most delicious is the one with fat.:D

BTW, here made a scientific study on the benefits of fat pork and fat cow.;)

My great-uncle, a WWI veteran, ate a lot pork fat every morning, cholesterol? what is that?

Last edited:
Barbecue is good once in a while, because rancid and burnt fat is poisonous. However, pork fat is more stable than olive oil, but still...

I don't understand why FDA does not suspend licenses of fast food restaurants that use mineral oils for frying more than one portion of food.

I agree, neither do every day, Argentina meat is the world's best but is very expensive.:bawling:

I once read that mineral/vegetable oils are poisonous above certain temperature, modern life requires a lot with time, so the restaurants keep of very hot oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.