Preparing for Irene

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In Portugal we´ve had a few storms but hurricanes are almost unknown here. I hope everybody stays ok and there is the least damage possible to your houses and goods.i´ve seen on tv what hurricanes do over there and it´s terrifying. Here the houses are built with bricks and cement,in average they cost twice that a wood house would , dont know if they would resist a hurricane better.

Actually, after looking it up I find I was indeed wrong... about motors not exhaling CO2. But while they exhale about six times as much CO2 as CO, CO is about 143 times as toxic to humans. Thus the greater emphasis on the dangers of breathing CO. But bottom line is keep your generator outside!
Doc

Actually, after looking it up I find I was indeed wrong... about motors not exhaling CO2. But while they exhale about six times as much CO2 as CO, CO is about 143 times as toxic to humans.

I indeed meant to say Carbon Monoxide since that is the component of engine exhaust that kills you. Either way..... "But bottom line is keep your generator outside!"

Another thing that I learned from Wilma. Even if the generator says 5KW continuous on the side, it probably will overheat and fry at that level. The muffler was glowing red on mine at 3KW. I used a box fan from Walmart plugged into the generator and blowing across the engine to help keep it cool. Pay attention to the engine oil change recommendations. They are rather short and the people across the street had one fail due to dirty oil.

Beware, your wife or daughter may not have a clue what a killowatt is and attempt to plug a blow dryer into the generator. Fortunately it just shut off!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It's started here, apparently downgraded to a tropical storm, but it is wet and windy - early yet, but I expect much higher wind speeds this afternoon.

The MBTA has shutdown the subway system, and it is eerily quiet here, except for the wind. (We can usually hear the trains from our house.)

I remembered a tropical storm that visited us at least 10 years ago that was exceptionally wet with little wind. I knew a neighbor had taken pictures from his front door and given me an extra set. We used real film back then. I found them and sure enough my foggy memories were correct. The name of this tropical storm......IRENE! It was 1999. I took pictures of the pictures because some were amusing.

The house with the red minivan is mine. The entire neighboorhood is one big lake. People were rowing down the street in a canoe! In the second picture I am standing in the middle of the street. My boss called to ask why I wasn't at work. Sherri explained that we were temporarilly in lake front property. 22 inches of rain fell over 24 hours. I am 15 miles from the ocean but only 8 feet above sea level. I have had flooding like this 4 times since I have lived here. The last time a friend got out his jet ski and we took a tour of the "lake"!

I was outside playing in the rain when I heard a familiar sound.....could it be....yes the mailman. Water up to his headlights, and we got mail. Do we get that kind of service today?

Attachments

• LakeGeorge_2_A.jpg
    LakeGeorge_2_A.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 122
  • Street_A.jpg
    Street_A.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 121
  • Mail_A.jpg
    Mail_A.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 116
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The house is shaking and a tree fell across the road a few hundred feet from the house.. Our 100 year old house is a very solidly built wood frame (modified American Four Square, with true dimensional lumber, when men were men and 2 x 4 meant just that.. :D ) Gusts must be stronger than they were expecting..

It's pretty noisy here.

Cool pictures George.. :D

Flooding here roughly a year ago did a couple of hundred million dollars of damage. I still remember driving down a street on an unsuccessful attempt to get to work and stopping and seeing parked cars under 12 feet of water very nearby..

The post office here often delivers in the middle of raging blizzards which always amuses me.. :D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The storm so far has been tamer than expected, but there are a lot of trees down and one and two blocks south of here have no power due to trees down. Here are few pix taken in my neighborhood during a relative lull.. :D According to the current forecast winds should peak around 4 PM, and it will decrease rapidly after that. Rain has been sparse - maybe an inch total..

Attachments

• beach1.jpg
    beach1.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 99
  • beach2.jpg
    beach2.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 99
  • bigtree1.jpg
    bigtree1.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 55
  • Big_tree_down1.jpg
    Big_tree_down1.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 53
  • cheriton2.jpg
    cheriton2.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 48
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Always a pleasure to see a fellow flasher.

LOL.

I've always enjoyed the hurricane "drama"; everybody anxious, people going nuts at the super, watching the news like the end of the world was coming... In the end I was always kind of disappointed when the eye of the hurricane turned left/right at the last moment (LOL) but, anyway, at least I could go out for a walk and see some destruction and some insane wind and some insane sky activity going on. There's always something fascinating when Nature goes nuts even if our lives are in serious danger. Kind of a romantic view and I'm sure people who have boats wouldn't agree with me, nothing fascinating about $$ flying out of the window either for those who have to pay the bills after the disaster. Oh I forgot, some moron always get killed during the storm. Oh well. **** happens.

Last edited:
My power went out Saturday night and I slept in the bedroom in the front of the house with the curtains opened so I could have at least the light from the sky come in. I like sleeping with a night light ever since the time when I woke up in the middle of the night and found a glowing red-orange man on top of me. When I woke up completely, it was gone. Apparently, it was some sort of spirit entity. If I was religious, I would have thought it was the devil. There's a lot of weird spirit beings wandering around out there. Some of them have even been afraid of me when I find them when having an out of the body experience (OOBE). I've been trying to avoid having sleep paralysis and OOBEs for the last decade, but sometimes I get sleep paralysis, but it usually goes away quickly.

Sunday morning when the power was off, the phone on the Verizon FIOS system worked until the battery drained all the way down. The Net 10 cell phone didn't work when the power was out, but when I got home around 4:30 after riding my bike, the power was on and the Net 10 phone worked. The battery was charged, but it said the network was not available earlier in the day. If the power was still off, I was going to try using an inverter with my car to see if I could get the FIOS system to work and to power a laptop to see if I could get onto the internet.

Last edited:
Our power went out Saturday afternoon after we retreated to Scranton PA and is still out. It's pretty widespread with who knows how many downed trees to clear off lines. NYSEG doesn't even have an estimated time of restoration which isn't good. Also, Westchester is largely dark and right now CON-ED estimates Sept 1 for restoration. I work in Yonkers so it might be a short week for me, but I have a feeling we'll just work by sunlight and run off generators. We're moving closer tomorrow to Fishkill so we can check in on the cats each day.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.