Preparing for Irene

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We're expecting to be without power for several days -- a large oak went down and took out 2 power polesand it will be quite some time before they can get a crew in to rebuild it. Running off the 5kW gennie -- did lend neighbors some gasoline for theirs.

There was only 2" of rain in the basement which I hand-scooped just like bailing out a dinghy with a gallon jug. The water came up through the floor as one of the leaders became disconnected from the drain.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Some more pictures for you.. :D We're fortunate, two blocks over there are several hundred homes without power, the pictures I've posted below will show why. We are on the main feeder to all of these neighborhoods and had no trees fall on the lines between here and the sub-station.. The local distribution here is 22kV - the fellow who lives next door to this tree said it was very exciting, and the bang his Sony XBR made has him convinced that he'll be purchasing a new TV once power has been restored.

There are half a million households here in MA without power according to National Grid, and the two other biggest providers. National Grid by itself has 300K customers without power. The estimate is it could be a week before power is restored everywhere.

Attachments

• new_tree_down.jpg
    new_tree_down.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 79
  • new_tree_down2.jpg
    new_tree_down2.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 79
About two weeks ago we took possession of nice apartment in Manhattan and move my daughter in, 14th floor, while she is attending college. During last week she experienced an earthquake and hurricane in NYC? Events that happens ones in...? At least for earthquakes she is well prepared considering that we survived the big one in LA - Northridge in '94 and few small ones in San Francisco. But hurricanes? Too much for a week. I was happy to learn that NYC was speared.
My best wishes and hopes to all of you that are still under the weather.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
About two weeks ago we took possession of nice apartment in Manhattan and move my daughter in, 14th floor, while she is attending college. During last week she experienced an earthquake and hurricane in NYC? Events that happens ones in...? At least for earthquakes she is well prepared considering that we survived the big one in LA - Northridge in '94 and few small ones in San Francisco. But hurricanes? Too much for a week. I was happy to learn that NYC was speared.
My best wishes and hopes to all of you that are still under the weather.

Would you please be so kind as to inform me if your daughter ever intends to re-locate in or near Nashville TN???? Better yet - just post a note here and we can all be aware of where she's going and make preparations!!! :D:D:D

BTW - Little brother Patrick is OK up in Massachusetts. He lost power for about 4 hours and the basement flooded (it always does) but no major damage to report.

Last edited:
We dodged the bullet - only had 34 mph winds, but a TON of rain. The winds broke off a lot of small branches, no damage to structure or such. Fortunately we did not have any power outages.

I DID have water streaming through one wall of my office, wich is half under ground. I was up all nite Saturday night, sucking up water with a shopvac and emptying it into the toilet next to the office. From 11 pm Saturday night to about 10 am Sunday morning, I sucked up 12 gallons of water every 10 minutes or so, continuously. No real damage though, I'll have a look at the grading to prevent this from happening in future....

Lukas

As we are w/o power it's difficult to find the pix, but one guy in NJ (need I say more) was seen on a jet-ski, another in NYC was water skiing being towed by a friend's pickup truck. Some criticism that the warnings were overblown -- what would the critics say if it was worse. Vermont got wasted and they usually only have to deal with the melting snowpack.

I hate when that happens. Now a glowing red-orange chick, yeah, I can deal with that.

You might be interested in this book. Someone loaned it to me before and its usually sold on amazon.com

The Terror That Comes in the Night: An Experience-Centered Study of Supernatural Assault Traditions
Amazon.com: The Terror That Comes in the Night: An Experience-Centered Study of Supernatural Assault Traditions (Publications of the American Folklore Society) (9780812213058): David J. Hufford: Books

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.