How to destroy data CD-R?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
First off, I admit to having done no research whatsoever.

Situation: I have lots of CD-Rs that contain sensitive data (old computer backups mainly). Whats the best way to destroy them so no one can get at the info?

For example, before recycling a computer I run dban on the hard drive. This uses some kind of military protocol to wipe it clean.

--david

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've done this a lot. The fun way is to nuke 'em in the microwave oven. But it makes quite a stink. Great lightening effect.

Mostly I just bend them or break them in half. That's all it takes. I killed a couple of paper shredders, so be careful.

CDR's use a phase change material for the recording. A bit of baking at 450F or so, may do the trick. (to melt and reset the phase of the data layer) -- edit: oh wait, that's just rewritables huh? CDR's just a use a dye... nevermind...

note that I've not tried this, and I cant recommend it. It's just a thought. I assume no liability for stinky masses of plastic or any other results good or bad :D

note that since the data's not part of the reflective layer itself, scrubbing away the shiny side may not render it un-recoverable but it would be unreadable in that state. But how paranoid are you? as others mention, simply breaking them in half should do the job ;)

Last edited:
I guess it really depends on "how sensitive". By far the best methods involve breaking up the CD ... shredder, cutting with snips, snapping it into pieces. Recovery will be very doubtful.

If it still bothers you at that stage, incinerate the chips or pieces, but do so safely. Burning almost anything changes the chemical composition and almost always produces toxic byproducts that can harm health.

You can physically mar the surface, but surfaces can be renewed, something like Pledge spray wax and a bit of polishing will surprise you with how effective it can be to read a scratch-damaged disk. Ideally you would get at the layer between the plastic sandwich to properly destroy data itself ... that's why breaking them is more effective, you not only make it physically difficult to read, you break the data layer as well.

The microwave trick does work, wait until you see sparks and run for one second more, that will be good enough. I'm not positive that it works with dye-layer disks, though, check to make sure, but it should ... they still have a foil layer. There is a possibility of damaging the magnetron tube when sparks are created inside a microwave. It's not common but certainly not unheard of, and is an expensive repair ... costs more than a new microwave, basically. Plus the same problem with toxic fumes as burning, only this time it's almost certainly going to be in your home, which is not so hot.

The label side is thinner and less durable than the laser reading side, so if you want to get at the data layer itself through physical means (say, a belt sander), attack from that side. Once you hit foil you're good to go. You probably don't need to destroy the entire surface, so for safety you could clamp the disk on a table and just attack the half with no clamp in the way with whatever power tool you happen to have handy.

Data disks have relatively poor error correction and are not very robust when you start deliberately destroying them ... Data CDs and DVDs are individually inspected during manufacture, something music CDs don't require because of robust error correction in the format.

Be very careful ... CDs break in sharp pieces and snap unexpectedly. Definitely wear eye protection. Re-read that last sentence if necessary. Be aware of those around you; pieces WILL fly everywhere.

Chemicals might work but acids don't work on plastics, so that's out. Acetone might do the trick. Highly flammable; no open flames or sparks, and good ventilation is mandatory.

If you're going to snap or smash them, put the disk inside an old T-shirt or pillowcase first. Wearing gloves is worth considering as well.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.