The food thread

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Cal, I don`t really know if I could eat that.
But thanks for sharing.

I kind of wish he didn't share that information.

I wouldn't eat that or infact any duck product (even a well roasted duck) ever again. I once tried a peking duck and some duck eggs (non fertilized). Too gamy for my tastes.

About as crazy I get with food would have to be blue vein cheese.

While in China ate many times cow stomach, actually pretty tender and nice texture, but preferably would skip over pork rectum and other more "exotic" stuff even though the Chinese seem to be able make anything edible, oh.. now I remember, I actually once ordered a frog soup without knowing it, not too bad though... :)

The day before bought a whole rainbow trout but my kitchen knife wasn't really up to task, got to get one of those Japanese.
BTW check this, true art and a delight to the eye!
Youtube - Japanese Master Chef Kasajima How to Cut Salmon Step by Step

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
A strangely good combination. Coles Smoked Oysters + SPC Baked beans. Heat the baked beans in the microwave and remove them from the microwave then drain the oil from the oysters and combine them in a bowl. Eat. Delicious.

Attachments

• diyaudio-227.jpg
    diyaudio-227.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 120
  • diyaudio-228.jpg
    diyaudio-228.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 120
No pics but I had a couple of good meals this week. First was pork tenderloin, hard to make that taste bad. I cut it on an angle in thick slices to make "steaks", seasoned them and quick browned in a pan. Removed the pork, added a bit more oil and sprinkled in caraway seeds. Once they had popped and flavored the oil I added thin sliced onions and cabbage and some carrot pieces, sauteed until soft, added a couple of peeled cored chopped apples, splash of white wine, turkey stock (ex Xmas) Hungarian paprika, put the meat back in and simmered covered for a while. Served with egg noodles, delicious!

Last night was Mangalore style chicken curry. The trick is the masala, lots of dried red Chili's, spices, toasted coconut, and fried onions and garlic, all pureed to a thick paste. The chicken never had a chance!

More importantly finally refilled the BBQ propane cylinder, had a decent steak tonight while watching the football game. The days are getting longer!

Oh also a few weeks ago (between Christmas and New year's) my wife and I took a drive in the country and stopped at my favorite butcher shop. I just wanted to pick up some bacon (sold out!) and maybe a couple of steaks, but they had rib roast on sale and we had guests coming the next week, so I picked up a prime rib roast. It was very high quality and perfectly butchered, with the ribs cut off then tied back on (so perfect roasting and easy carving). It made a lovely meal (Yorkshire pudding!) and the bones made a great stock, which became French onion soup topped with nice French bread and Comte cheese. The spent scraps from the stock pot fed the cat. You can get a lot of meals from a good piece of beef.

Cal the ball is yours now, upload a video cutting up a fish in 5 mins! :)
To be honest I was even slower than that Master Kasajima video, it's so seldom I buy a whole fish I had to check out a few Youtube videos before attempting at it. :D
Actually considering all the cooking stuff you have posted here I think you should have your own "Cal's Chef-Tube" video channel.

"Cal's Chef-Tube"
hehe. I have been encouraged many a time to do something with my hobby but I have to say time and again that I love to spend time in the kitchen and I'd hate to spoil a good thing. Perhaps when I retire I'll take another look but for now I'll soldier on and and share my adventures in a limited way.

Salmon? I have been involved with fish all my life, including working on charter boats so...

Filleting is only difficult the first few times. The thing I liked about the Master Chef was the way he caressed the fish. We never show it that kind of love ;)

Paid a looooong Sunday with my friend the hermit out on Orust, a larger island on the Western part of Sweden. He fixed a GREAT dinner: fried (pre-cooked) potatoes, shrimps, mayonnaise and caviar AND ....

.... mackerel, that my friend had fished himself.

As I had to drive a few miles on pitchblack forest roads covered in ice and then some 50 km on highways, where, possible Oncle Blue (jargong for the Sw. police man) could be standing with his alcometer, I went for the bottled water (and not the Thurbo Stout).

Still suffering from a night with severe pain from gastric catarrh, I yet enjoyed the dinner in the small hut in nowhere.

Attachments

• IMG_4709.JPG
    IMG_4709.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 149
Paid a looooong Sunday with my friend the hermit out on Orust, a larger island on the Western part of Sweden.

Brings to mind a movie directed by Ingmar Bergman: "Summer with Monika"

Summer with Monika (1953) - IMDb

(This movie was nowhere on the radar until Woody Allen mentioned seeing it at an art-film house when he was growing up in Brooklyn.)