The food thread

Sticky is bad. The key is using the correct rice (Valenciana or Bomba), giving the rice a sautee with the sofrito like a pilaf (that's NOT what they do in Valencia!), then avoiding stirring the dish during cooking. Did it on our grill and ended up with a super-nice socarrat.

Another nice thing about Frommagio, I can pick up first rate saffron, smoked paprika, and the rice all in one place (even a fairly high quality jarred pimenton).

I usually get saffron at the Indian grocery at a bit of a savings. But I'm a cheap fellow. We are lucky to have a local grocery that carries three different kinds of pimenton, as well as both Valenciana and Bomba. It's odd, after all my years in California and Texas, to go to the "ethnic" half of the store and see mostly Russian and Polish ingredients!

Joined 2007
Paid Member
FYI - Chef Jose episodes are included in Hulu.

My high school chum introduced me to Spanish ham back while we were still in high school. His mom was born and raised in Barcelona and they would go back every other year to visit family.

The key thing is to recall I was in high school, so I wasn't prepared for the taste. I swallowed the shaving he gave me, but with a face of total disgust!:whacko:

Oh well....

Could hardly tell you're from Wisconsin. The state motto: "Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air" (1)

Speaking of saffron -- basmati + saffron + decorticated cardamon -- wonderful.

(1) -- originally heard on "Wait, Wait, don't tell me".

When I grew up there was only industrial cheddar as marginally real cheese, mostly land of Kraft Velveeta and white or orange American.

That reminds me of how fond I am of the highly perfumed spices, galangal, lemon grass, cardamon, keffir lime leaves, FRESH chervil, tarragon, basil, more?

Rava Kesari - Indian Indian pudding - semolina pudding with cardamon.

f****** poison me

A chef friend and former collegue referred to shouting and humiliating as ''an investment in one's future''.
Perfectionism and hot temper often go hand in hand, in particular for chefs, I've only met one top chef who combined culinary expertise, with delegating talent, and total self-restraint.
(on a pic here with his wife Claudia, also a former collegue : Inter Scaldes | Home Have their own heli pickup service, but fortunately I live only 50 miles up. :clown: )

A decade and a half ago, I first saw Mr Ramsay perform in his restaurant kitchen on TV, also the last occasion, more interested in other media show cases. Billy Connolly, if I'm in the mood for profanities with a Scottish accent.
On and Off the web, I'm rather impervious to cursing, shouting and name-calling, but more intrigued by the highly intelligent & gentle.
Mr Ramsay has serious (ego) drive, yet doubtful he'd be in for the long run, without serious network cash flow, as goes for others.
(despite better background & breeding, ashamed to admit I outclass GR by a De Niro's 'Max Cady' or two, once I lose my temper)

Attachments

• Janissie.JPG
    Janissie.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
That's an odd picture Jacco. Does he want to look taller? As for bad temper...it shows a lack of control, an impulsive personality. My mother is crazy so I really know what bad temper is about. I got kicked, punched, and slapped in my early days.

I say **** to all of you - angry people.

Could hardly tell you're from Wisconsin. The state motto: "Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air" (1)

Speaking of saffron -- basmati + saffron + decorticated cardamon -- wonderful.

(1) -- originally heard on "Wait, Wait, don't tell me".

to combine the above, saffron, orange blossom and cardamon icecream is quite excellent too. I love spices in deserts.

When I grew up there was only industrial cheddar as marginally real cheese, mostly land of Kraft Velveeta and white or orange American.

That reminds me of how fond I am of the highly perfumed spices, galangal, lemon grass, cardamon, kaffir-lime (ftfy) leaves, FRESH chervil, tarragon, basil, more?

Rava Kesari - Indian Indian pudding - semolina pudding with cardamon.
galangal... it has to be in with other strong spices in a paste for me, too much like cough medicine otherwise. Star Anise is another one for that group and Vanilla Bean and of course Cinnamon

the semolina pudding reminds me of cheap/free weekend banquets at the Harri-Krishna indoctrination center, chanting, hashish and nitrous oxide ;) ahh the teenage years :D

Last edited:
Remembrance of days past. 500g of malossol osetra for New Years Eve 1981. I don't want to think what the current value is. This was the party that ended our group, the hosts wife decided that we had conjured satan the debauchery was so intense.

It now contains my grease fitings

Attachments

• caviar.jpg
    caviar.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
I used to cook fruit with Rum St James dark, but it vanished from the market for years. It was made from dunder and finished at 106 proof.

Even at the "Wine Library" the next town over the pickings are very slim for rums -- there was a food guy on the radio here talking about the fragrances of some of the Haitian and Jamaican rums but some didn't even have a distributor in the U.S.

Even at the "Wine Library" the next town over the pickings are very slim for rums -- there was a food guy on the radio here talking about the fragrances of some of the Haitian and Jamaican rums but some didn't even have a distributor in the U.S.

Did you know that Tia Maria was actually made with Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee at one time? I have a 40 yr. old empty just to prove it. You also could get Nocino made with real bitter green walnuts and with state controlled status like balsamic vinegar (not that that means anything anymore). Same with Amaretto made with bitter almonds (apricot pits) but this is still available. Virtually nothing except sicky sweet industrial versions of these classic aperitifs are generally available now.

Last edited: