The food thread

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I don't have to use Tamari as I have no concerns with wheat.

Bouillabaisse and I are not on good terms. While it is often very good, to me the concept is wrong.

The point of using tamari is the deeper flavor. We have no issues with wheat either.

You don't like fish soups laden with rock fish, big prawns, clams? What about it's concept is wrong? It is based on fishermen using the leftovers, just like paella.

Do you like steamed clams -with a bit of white wine, butter, garlic- like they make in the NW? That's also sort of a soup.. put some potatoes, onions, garlic, carrots and celery on it and you have a feast! Add crab legs and I'm in Heaven.

Amazing how such simple dishes can transcend their roots and become a "delicacy"...

BTW, when I was in college it was hard to make ends meet, but my mom always sent me plenty of Spanish smoked paprika and saffron. We used to make feasts at the houses I lived in.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
^ Spain has their own version with its own name.

You are not reading my posts!

To wit:

Bouillabaise is a subset of the fish soup (Sopa de pescador in Castilian) made along the coast from Nice all the way down to Tarragona.

Some day, you ought to travel to my family's restaurant.... the family's restaurant specializes in FISH! And yes, they make several types of fish soups. You see, when it comes to such things, I'm actually an expert. Grew up with it.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...ws-Gines_Restaurante-Barcelona_Catalonia.html

And BTW, it's NOT SPAIN.... IT's CATALUNYA.... People in Castille have no clue about such things. Up in their plains, it's all about sheep, pork, bread and potatoes. Fish is not traditional fare.

I tell ya, if it had been The Catalan Armada you English would understand such things about cuisine... ;)

Time to curl up with a good novel and a nice cup of Earl Grey, Tony. Perhaps a glass of red.

I will explain my concern with Bouillabaisse.
  • Too many letters to say 'leftover seafood soup'..
  • Too many ingredients to bother making leftover seafood soup.
  • The amount of time it takes to make leftover, ah you know the rest.
  • In today's world, using perfectly good fish and seafood to throw in the stew pot and boil it makes zero sense. This is coming from a 'water protein lover'
It's a glamourized peasant food from the days where things needed to be used up. Adding your special spices and references to the reality doesn't make it a better dish Tony. It makes it a better tasting dish that wastes perfectly good food that should not be served from a stew pot.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Not sure I ever mentioned that my great-grandfather used to sponsor immigrants. One of them was Katherine the cook. Not sure where she learned to cook. I suspect it was some Nobleman’s kitchen.

Whenever I visited she would serve me one of my favorites, radishes. My grandmother having grown up with her never really learned to cook. My mother at first didn’t like to serve me radishes as she always had seen Katherine’s method of serving them. Always carved into a flower. Once my mother realized you could actually eat them without first carving them into a flower, I started to get them at home.

Suffice it to say that I never saw an ordinary meal from Katherine. Any visit during the winter had her serve hot chocolate. Not hot cocoa, not instant chocolate. Bakers chocolate whipped into hot milk with sugar added.

I do have to admit, as a child not every dish was to my liking. As an adult I still find it amazing how much work it took to make some of the “ordinary” meals. It did explain how a nobleman’s kitchen could actually keep a kitchen staff well occupied all day.

The other related tale is that a friend insisted we dine at a new restaurant. Their signature dish was “chicken peprikash.” Everyone else was impressed. I only learned that there was a name for Katherine’s style of cooking chicken. Needless to say Katherine’s was much better.

Last edited:
Cal,

Seems a shame you don’t appreciate what a soup can bring out of fresh or leftover food. If you ever get an old fashioned kitchen range with a stock pot, you just might find out that having a ready to go, slowly changing soup is spectacular.

ES
Ed, after following this thread as you have, I think you know better than to have typed this.

You are forgiven this time. Don’t let it happen again, or I will send a mini drone your way, loaded with semi precious stones and a shipload of resistors and diodes.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Not sure I ever mentioned that my great-grandfather used to sponsor immigrants. One of them was Katherine the cook. Not sure where she learned to cook. I suspect it was some Nobleman’s kitchen.

Whenever I visited she would serve me one of my favorites, radishes. My grandmother having grown up with her never really learned to cook. My mother at first didn’t like to serve me radishes as she always had seen Katherine’s method of serving them. Always carved into a flower. Once my mother realized you could actually eat them without first carving them into a flower, I started to get them at home.
I'm having some trouble parsing this.Your great grandfather imported a cook from the old country. She must have been somewhat older than your grandmother, but was still being made to work when you were a kid? Not sure if you bred young in your family (so granny was only about 50 at the point of the radish story) or the poor cook was not allowed to retire?

Impressed you could remember a chicken dish over all those years. My lad can’t remember something he ate yesterday!

The restaurant tale was when I was in my early 20’s. I still make some of Katherine’s dishes. Among them I regularly do a liver pate. I can also carve radishes into flowers. However I do have trouble finding some ingredients locally, such as smoked whitefish.

Bill,

It might be a good thing he has no cause to remember some foods!

ES.

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Food is very good at lodging memories. I bet everyone in this thread can remember the best and worst food experiences of their lives
Grandma J's chili
Mom's pork chops with rice & gravy
Grandma L's salt rising bread
Dad's marinated, grilled kebabs
"Market Street Meat Loaf" with my wife's personal touches
My first actual French omelette, at (the now defunct) Autre Chose in Cambridge . . . . 1105 Mass Ave for the locals
Navy Grog tiki drink at (the now defunct) Trader Vic's in Scottsdale

Last edited:
As a kid I made cheese cake at the uncles resort that he built. I’ve not made another cheese cake until last weekend, what else Betty Crocker’s ultimate cheese cake recipe, it turned out pretty good. Guest requested cherry pie filing topping so a can of Ed smiths to go with it. Done with cheese cake for a while :)