The food thread

Have you ever tried breathing new life into it? I once did pink salmon and was concerned about a strong brine. When it came out, I had the same feeling as you. I simply mixed a little water, liquid smoke, salt and sugar and painted the fish a few times, letting it dry between coats, before packaging. Worked quite well and no one other than me was the wiser.

Last edited:
Chilli afficiandos - comments please

Attachments

• 53716049-FDEE-4E73-88E1-945B7CD9B72B.jpeg
    53716049-FDEE-4E73-88E1-945B7CD9B72B.jpeg
    745.4 KB · Views: 41
If you ever get an old fashioned kitchen range with a stock pot,
I used to keep a stock pot going on the back of the stove all winter long. I have a BIG pot with a tightly fitting lid and every morning I would bring it to a boil while having coffee before work and not take off the lid.
In the evening I would heat it up again and throw in whatever scraps were generated in dinner prep. Having a pot of hot stock available all of the time is helpful for all sorts of things.

Pete

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Impressed you could remember a chicken dish over all those years. My lad can’t remember something he ate yesterday!

Hmm... I clearly remember the dishes I had by the time I was like 9 years old. My family's business revolved (revolves) around food, so in that case it was central to us. The aunties always cached the best stuff and distributed to the family for use in our own kitchens.

Canneloni.
Fricando
Jamon Serrano.
Calamares a la Romana
Gambas al ajillo
Pinchos Morunos ( best I've had were in the port of Athens, Greece ).
Cabello de angel..
Pan amb tomaquet with anything
Boquerones
Manchego
Breads
Tarte Niçoise
Salsa Romescu
Most anything grilled with olive oil, garlic and topped parsley.

etc, etc...

I remember not liking chicken soup unless it had lemon juice.

Cal just has his own take for soups. Very pragmatic... if you ask me.

Tamarind is a very popular soup base easily found in packages and pastes at a variety of stores. Even the Caucasian stores here.
No coconut milk is used in any of the soups I mentioned.
Pineapple soup has actual names depending on the country of origin but here I call it how I see it.
I think chili oil is better suited to soups than sriracha.
Lemon grass is almost always welcome.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Made this guy's recipe for Detroit Style Pan Pizza last night. He defines Detroit Style to mean
  • cooked in a blue steel pan with sloped sides and welded edges
  • lots of olive oil in the pan below the dough, ensuring that the dough both bakes and frys, giving a crispy bottom
  • 68% hydration dough using high gluten flour, cold fermented 48 hours
  • cheese deliberately spread all the way to the edge so it melts down between pan and dough, giving ultra crisp fried cheese ring around perimeter
  • assembly order: oil, dough, toppings (!!), cheese, very small dollops of tomato sauce
  • pans placed upon a 45 minute preheated pizza steel at 500F / 260C to cook. Very hot, very heat-conductive.
We bought two blue steel pans and baked two pizzas. One was pepperoni, the other was sauteed mushrooms and carmelized onions. Tasters' evaluation: meh. Not better than ordinary pizza, the crispy crust was not life changing. The crust did rise during baking to about 1 inch tall with focaccia like bubbles, which was fun to see, but this didn't make the pizza substantially "better". It definitely was a fun pizza-and-beer experience which we enjoyed a lot; only not more-fun than with traditional non Detroit pizza.