The food thread

Really nice color! Some photos of my Coffee bacon from the last batch :coffee:
1697031913064.png

I found this to be a good video of the breaking down of a yellowfin. I love watching 'big' things happen. And the title is misleading, it's not really about his knives, it's about butcher. Not his first rodeo as you will see but at the same time, not a showman. I like to see the diferent buckets that things go into as you know none of it is going to waste.
Definitely worth your time if you enjoy big time food prep.

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Sounds like an upside down creme brulee. It's interesting all the variants on egg custard across the world. I grew up on instant creme caramel that you made from a packet. I still have a soft spot for egg custart tarts which is the same mixture but baked in a pie crust in the oven.

It's called a flan in Spain, a crema catalana in Catalunya.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I found this to be a good video of the breaking down of a yellowfin. I love watching 'big' things happen. And the title is misleading, it's not really about his knives, it's about butcher. Not his first rodeo as you will see but at the same time, not a showman. I like to see the diferent buckets that things go into as you know none of it is going to waste.
Definitely worth your time if you enjoy big time food prep.

In the 80s and 90s we used to go to Marukai in Gardena and I'd stand watching the fishmonger cut up tuna fish like that one. Until he'd get to the tail where I'd ask him to cut me a 3lb "quarter" chunk. That night we'd have tuna sashimi, rice, pickles, Sapporo beer and sake for dinner.

Oiishi!

After a while, they got to know me, so when I showed up, they'd immediately cut it for me.

A delicious part of the fish.

Eventually they "modernized" the store and they moved the butchering to the back so it become nearly impossible to get custom cuts. :p

Joined 2010
Paid Member
My understanding was flan was creme caramel which unlike creme brulee doesn't have the sugar melted with a blowtorch.

The caramel is poured into the dish and then the custard mixture is poured carefully on top, without mixing the two layers. After chilling, it is inverted and it drops onto a plate.

Crema catalana is similar except the custard mixture is not as hard.

I have seen it where instead of pouring the caramel, they put sugar and then melted it in situ with a torch.

Most of these deserts are close variations on a caramelized sugar and custard dessert.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
^ For five people.... that was a Sunday Dinner.

My wife is quite good at slicing and arranging sashimi.

You should have seen the platters we put out about six years ago for New Year's... we bought the fish from the LA Central Fish Market (open to the public only New Year's eve). We didn't buy ounces, we bought pounds. That one was an authentic japanese New Year's feast. The sashimi was about 1/5th of the table. Served about 20 people off and on the whole day.

BTW, that soup... you didn't notice, huh? It's Catalan/Provençal... fish soup... a Bouillabaisse. I make mine with a little bit of smoked Castilian paprika.... and lots of rock fish, seafood, saffron and love. ;-)

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
^ Well, if you ever decide to drive down 1300 miles, I'm sure we can accommodate you with all the "fish soup" you can eat... and enough sashimi to accomodate your appetite.

BTW, did you notice the platters of tamago ( Japanese egg kinda omelette ) and tortilla de patata ( Spanish potato omelette ) ?

Blue cheese dressing? Central California pinot and tamari sauce. We don't use soy sauce as a dipping sauce, only for cooking.

I told ya, it was fusion.
;)

PS.... bouillabaisse is not "just" soup... Ay! No Soup For You!

This is an old link... but.... hmm... four generations in my family... If you go, ask for Paco, tell them Tony sent you. Calamares a la Romana you should start with... then the razor clams.... Ay!

http://www.foodbarcelona.com/bar-restaurante-gines/

My nephews, nieces and one of my cousins in law speak English, so you'll be fine. My cousin, Paco? Nope, he'll just smile, pour you a nice cognac and offer you a cigarette. ;-)

Last edited:
Yes Tony,

I saw the other dishes but was unable to identify so I did not comment.
The Tamago looks good and very different to what we are used to here.
I have not made nor had the Tortilla de Patata but I bet it is very good.
Blue cheese dressing is among my favourites depending on the preparation.
I don't have to use Tamari as I have no concerns with wheat.

Bouillabaisse and I are not on good terms. While it is often very good, to me the concept is wrong.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
^ "I would not consider Bouillabaisse to be catalan."

Well, I'm Catalan, I was eating it when I grew up, I cook it at home, I've had it some very few restaurants that know what they're doing...

Bouillabaise is a subset of the fish soup (Sopa de pescador in Castilian) made along the coast from Nice all the way down to Tarragona. But since most people on this forum have no clue what Le Rousillon is, nevermind Cadaques... I offered them something that they might have heard of.

Now, get back to Torremolinos...