The food thread

Last night's dinner: Chinese pan-fried chicken thighs with onions, plus rice and steamed broccoli.
IMG_20230911_220502709.jpg

More durian, from Saturday 9/16/2023 WSJ:
"
Chinese farmer Wei Fuyou clearly remembers the moment four years ago when he first watched a video clip showing that durian, a pungent fruit with a smell reminiscent of gym socks, could be grown on the tropical island of Hainan, where he lives.

“That means I can grow them, too!” he recalls yelping.
im-852877
Making scents
Wei promptly cut down some of his betel nut palms and planted 400 durian trees in their place.
Never mind his own initial disgust with durians, a spiky fruit native to Southeast Asia, whose yellow flesh some have likened to “vomit-flavored custard.” The excitement was driven by Wei’s 1.4 billion countrymen, many of whom are crazy for the stinky delicacy.
The fruit has become so beloved in China that it consumed $4.2 billion worth of durians last year, about four times the value from 2018. To get its fix, however, China relies almost exclusively—for now—on Southeast Asia, where conditions are perfect for the fickle fruit.

At 1 o’clock is a rice vermicelli filling used for mini empanadas.
2 is okra, super yummy, my honey’s style
4 is prawns, super yummy, thanks again Mrs Weldon
7 is grape tomatoes
8 is agar, coconut flavoured, once again she gets the credit
10 is turmeric chicken leg. 4 day process. Stubs cut off and donated to the stock pot.
Center is fermented egg, green beans, onion and garlic
if you crack the garlic slightly, the fermenting will turn it blue.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Agar... I thought it was either uncooked fish or soap.

Tonight made some Jam. Kids have been pestering me to make blackberry and apple jam from the brambles they've foraged. Turns out
a) I am well out of practice
b) making small amounts is a lot harder than big batches (they might not like it so no point making 10 jars of it. But it's set and edible :D

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Sometimes, the leftovers are awesome. We made too much food and when I cleared the table, the food was still pretty good.

Two days in the sous vide carnitas, cooked with chili powders. Then finished in a pot with OJ, cumin, oregano and drippings.... Plus the usual stuff you see with carnitas.

Attachments

• 20230916_205241.jpg
    20230916_205241.jpg
    477.6 KB · Views: 35
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Awesome sunday brunch... daughter made the eggs benedict in the sous vide... over crumpets and smoked salmon. With some rather awesome green stuff...

( Next week is gonna be a leftover week... we got like tons of leftovers.... ).

Attachments

• 58527.jpeg
    58527.jpeg
    366.1 KB · Views: 29
Joined 2011
Paid Member
We were invited to a dinner party and told to bring a dessert. We chose to make the (quite decadent and over-the-top) Gourmet magazine "Black Gold" cookies (recipe here). Then we'll also bring along some premium vanilla ice cream as an accompaniment. Soon we'll know whether the table enjoyed our choice!

The cookies are a cross-breed between a super-chocolate, wet brownie, and a gigantic soft chocolate cookie. Recipe ingredient amounts will explain further.

_

Attachments

• cookies.jpg
    cookies.jpg
    715.8 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: 2 users
Sometimes you have to scratch your head.
On the right looks like a bamboo shoot salad topped with onion flowers but I have no idea what is on the left.
Could be bean and barley salad and topped with pickled ginger
I made it
I ate it
I should not be using rum to help me cook.

Attachments

• IMG_1044.jpeg
    IMG_1044.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 35