The food thread

Joined 2010
Paid Member

The Gov't has spent billions upon billions improving the transportation infrastructure here with a heavy focus on freeways and trains. Your info is more than a little out of date.

Apologies to those wishing to read about food.

It's all relative.

BTW, dim sum in Vancouver is better than SF. Only Los Angeles is on a par with Vancouver.

There...

I think I'm gonna make some chicken thighs for dinner... brown them in a casserole with onions, peppers and tomatoes then cover it with red wine and herbs ( tarragon most likely )... turn the heat down to a simmer and let her rip for at least 45 minutes.

Maybe add a touch of Martini red vermouth?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
OK, @Cal Weldon

You want food?
Here's tonite's food. I just made it up too! ;-)

Don Antonio's Pollo de Levante.

5 chicken thighs, bone in.
half an onion, chopped
garlic, chopped
one medium large tomato, chopped
ten dates, chopped
two fresh figs, chopped
some fancy green/black peppers from the yard ( about 2 inches across).
Ras El Hanout ( a heaping tablespoon )
Saffron ( two very healthy pinches ).
One cup of red wine .. the big Costco bottle, Chateau Kirkland
Two cups of chicken bouillon
An 18 lb Jamon Serrano on its carving stand on the kitchen island.
One of them ceramic coated cast iron 8 quart ( 2 gallon ) pots ( needs a lid ).

Slice some jamon
Pour some wine

Brown the chicken on butter

Enjoy the jamon with wine

Rest the chicken

Brown the onions, garlic, peppers, figs, dates, ras el hanout, tomato, in order... add bouillon and wine and saffron. Bring to a boil.

Enjoy jamon and wine

Add the chicken back to the pot. Bring to a boil.

Slice more jamon, make sure the wine glass is not empty!

Lower the heat to a vigorous simmer and cover. Set clock to 35 minutes.

Eat more jamon, drink more wine.

Type up this recipe.

If in 25 minutes I'm still hungry, we might eat El Pollo of top of japanese rice ( we got one of them Mikado cookers that keeps the rice fresh ).

Drink more wine.

I've been curious about using Ras El Hanout since I had some Moroccan chicken in one of them tagines last year. We'll see.

Gotta go. I need to slice more jamon and pour more wine.

Besides, it's Friday past 6PM. Need to make my wife a drink.

Might put a cup of frozen peas before serving.

Last edited:
I almost forgot to mention using my “meat chopper” with peanuts allows me to make the close to original version of one of the most American food items.

The ground peanuts, with the over risen American bread and a bit of jam make the around here classic “Peanut Butter and Jelly” sandwich!

What to me is interesting is that the sandwich really is better with jam rather than jelly. I suspect most use strawberry jam, so of course I prefer apricot jam. I think jelly just doesn’t do as well in the sandwich.

Some heretics toast the bread for the sandwich, as do I. Takes a bit longer as the bread must cool before spreading the peanut butter.

Pretty sure in this country the PB&J is second only to the hamburger/cheeseburger in most popular food. Of course even small children can make the sandwich.

As I side note I once worked on a disco with the construction manager Norman Rockwell Jr.

If you don’t get that reference you need to look up the classic picture. Although it is not a PB&J!

https://www.christies.com/en/lot/lot-6235399

Last edited:
Mark,

Some sources list the grilled cheese as the most popular. Boy would Ray Kroc have been shocked! But looking around I found amazing claims as to what is popular.

Polling people gives wild results. However looking at consumption, think about how many sandwiches which you have actually eaten. I suspect when you were young you ate quite a few PB&Js. What is clear is burgers and such are first.

(2) grilled cheese sandwich
Quite the difference betwen a slice of what I call "plastic" chesse and some quality gouda or similar cheese.
My wife is converted from plastic slice pacakged cheese. Main reason why people eat it, is because it's cheap.
Cheddar or at leat the stuff they sell around here, is one of my least favourite cheeses.
Maybe some old sharp cheddar, but the mild stuff is like eating rubber curds, tasteless.
Europeans have a love of cheese, more so than on this side of the pond.

A heads up...Cumin prices are 150% up compared to last year, and this year the rain has been below normal, meaning poor quality crop and less harvest volume (in tons).
I live some 200 km south of Unjha, cumin capital of the world.

If you like it, do stock up if so inclined.
No, I do not have any commercial interest in this matter.

'Bombay Sandwich' okay, Interesting they show potato, not native, but either was it here :)
Where is the potato originally from? The potato is native to the Peruvian-Bolivian Andes. It was cultivated in South America by the Incas as early as 1,800 years ago. The Spaniards who colonized South America introduced potatoes into Europe during the second half of the 16th century.
I guess the potato made it as far east as India since the Oriental Asian do not eat it usually, rice is the staple, same as India too

Joined 2010
Paid Member
@Cal Weldon "fallen"? Did I miss something this morning?

Besides...

(1) I type pretty fast.
(2) When I cook, except when stir frying on the wok, there's always a bit of time in between stages. Gotta do this to allow for the wine and IPA.

Attachments

• 20230908_185945.jpg
    20230908_185945.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230908_185033.jpg
    20230908_185033.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 29
Fallen as in earthquake, more than 800 dead so far.

Bombay is famous for its innovative street food, which started with mill workers needing to eat and walk to work, most were single, and lived in multi storeyed barrack type rooms, maybe 10' x 10', with a common toilet.

Look for 'pav bread', I somehow cannot upload images, they are 60 x 60 mm buns cooked together, 12-20 are baked together, and torn off to serve.
Pav bhaji and vada pav are famous for this, mutton and chicken curry are also served in some places, you dip the bread in the curry and feed on the meat with fingers.

The potatoes came with the Portuguese in the 1700s, as did tomatoes, not a new item here.
Also look for 'bunny chow', a South African food, spicy curry poured inside a loaf of unsliced bread, another quick street food.

Wheat is the staple in India, along with coarse millets, and rice.
Rice is the dominant grain in South India, which is about 25% of the population.

The thing is many people commute long distances in Bombay, three hours one way is not abnormal, they want quick service, and handy to eat food.

So Bombay street food has evolved to fulfill this requirement, and the vendors keep coming up with new things, the sandwich is only about 20 years old.

Also look for paani puri and bhel puri which have to be consumed vey fast, seconds for paani puri (also called puchka and gol gappa in diferent parts of the country).

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Oh.. a quake in Morocco. I hadn't heard. Sad to hear that.

You know, people laugh at our method of construction down here in SoCal.. You know... slab, no basement. Wooden stick (frame) walls with stucco on the outside. Mostly one and two stories.

No structural masonry at ALL!

Yet, when we get a 6.9, we mostly sleep through it unless you're on the actual epicenter. It's a shake'n'roll affair and at worst you might have some cracks on the stucco.

Honestly, it amazes me that people live in unreinforced masonry places that were built hundred, even a thousand years ago. But I guess that so long as quakes are infrequent, they are alright. But the second they get a quake, boom! Adios!

Like in Italy's mountain villages.

The Spanish missionaries tried to build like that, in the 1700s. Well, they learned quick enough when the Church in San Juan Capistrano came tumbling down... after that, it was thick adobe walls... THICK. Nothing built with unreinforced masonry lasts longer than 50 years in this State.

All cultures make their own "travelling" food. Sandwiches in Europe, buns everywhere, Mexican burritos, pickled fish, etc. Try the Japanese bento box culture.

In the South West USA we have the Roach Coach Culture. Just be careful with the breakfast burrito though. I once ate one on a friday morning, and the eggs... well, I got food poisoning that kept me on the toilet for the entire weekend.

For dinner tonite I made Szechuan-Style Eggplant, Tofu and ground pork. I took a pound of good quality ground pork and mixed in some Aji-No-Moto (*), soyu and mirin and let it sit for four hours... As usual, stage the cooking: tofu first, then meats, then veggies... at the end mix it all together and add the sauce. It was, if I can be my usual modest, fantastique!

(*) Umami with MSG in a jar... Hawai'i style bruddahs... ;-)

Last edited:
and the vendors keep coming up with new things, the sandwich is only about 20 years old.
250 years or so for us. Keep up:rolleyes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Montagu,_4th_Earl_of_Sandwich

No family or commercial connections on my behalf, in the ilk of yourself Mr. Brd.

You should come to Basildon, Chester Hall Lane and visit Shell's van and ask for a Mick egg sandwich, white bread with fried eggs and a dash of salt, no butter or marg. Pure and simple, what else do ya need...

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Instant pot Daal (other romanisations are available) test 1. Usual secret recipe so all I can tell you is that there are pulses, green beens, onions and tomato in it. Oh and it tastes great. That's for tomorrow. Dinner this evening was paratha stuffed with paneer and cauliflower.

Attachments

• IMG_0095.jpeg
    IMG_0095.jpeg
    377.4 KB · Views: 34