The food thread

The following posts have been moved here from another thread.

Vindaloo refers to meat marinated in vinegar (originally red wine), and garlic.
It may have been altered beyond recognition to suit local tastes in your area.
The original meat was pork, sometimes a lot of pork liver was used.
Apart from that, pork and beef are taboo meats here, and lamb is simply not fatty enough for a rich flavor. Fish and prawns...so so.
Due to the excess use of synthetic vinegar - dilute acetic acid - it is not a very popular dish here.

Should not cause bloating if properly prepared, with a nominal amount of chilli.
Of course, if the cook was from the Bangladeshi school of thought - if in doubt, add more chillies - then you will have a problem.

Chicken Vindaloo Recipe - Swasthi's Recipes

This is the Australian cook book version, oven cooking involved:
Vindaloo | RecipeTin Eats

Quite different from the original. Does not use the vinegar, which is the essential unique ingredient!

Last edited:
Actually, lemon juice is essentially citric acid.
So when lemons are out of season, cheap restaurants dissolve citric acid powder in water to get that result.

Vinegar is acetic acid with a lot of the residue from whatever it came from, mostly apples or grapes.
Essentially soured fruit juice, or badly fermented wine.
Sometimes mother of vinegar is added to make vinegar deliberately from fruit juice.

It is very expensive compared to acetic acid, so the Chinese food stalls, among others, use dilute acetic acid as vinegar.
I am allergic, itching, so I prefer not to use it, or eat food containing vinegar.

I doubt the Canadian authorities would allow its sale, and vinegar may be cheap there.
Here it is like 60 cents for a 750 ml. bottle of synthetic vinegar at the places where restaurants get their supplies. Branded stuff is a little more expensive in stores where ordinary people do their shopping.
Apple Cider Vinegar is like $6 for a half liter, from a reputed maker....Wine based would be in the same range, but since alcohol is highly taxed here, and it is really spoiled wine, not easily available.

Last edited:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjp0Mrqmbr0AhWIyjgGHc6OAwoQFnoECAMQAw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.chingssecret.com%2Fproducts%2Fchings-secret-chilli-vinegar&usg=AOvVaw2qPROlJeo7XIlKN4u4XP7u
Way off topic of audio, but hopefully you will allow it...
A chilli inside a bottle of vinegar, our version of Tabasco, much milder, more vinegar like in taste.
60 cents for a 6 oz. bottle...
And probably dilute acetic acid, with a bit of flavor, not really vinegar from a natural source.

Attachments

• Chilli vinegar.png
    Chilli vinegar.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
You haven't lived until you've tried a Glasgow Vindaloo, or more precisely, The Hellfire Phaal! :redhot:

The chefs at the Tuk Tuk restaurant need protective clothing, including gloves, in order to prepare this sweat inducing dish!

P.S. Glasgow has been dubbed the birthplace of the Tikka Masala.

You haven't lived until you've tried a Glasgow Vindaloo, or more precisely, The Hellfire Phaal!
Haha, I guess I will never find out. Even a proper Madras is often on the edge with me. In a proper indian restaurant in england I often go for a Rogan Josh just to be sure it aint´too hot.
I want that spice mix that makes you dizzy in the head with the right amount of heat (for me), not that sting that numbs my taste buds and makes me sweat;-)

An old friend of my best friend (both from england) was a phaal-addict and after years of consumption he had serious stomach problems caused by the heat and unfortunately had to back off from his chili consumption.

We should really start a thread in the lounge about spice mixtures and favourite curry recipes!

Poseurs...the fellows in Glasgow...
Guntur chilli - Wikipedia

This is going to give Cal a hard time when he gets up...

Butter Chicken, which is Tandoori chicken in a spicy butter based gravy, was invented in Kake Da Hotel, Delhi, 1948... it was still there last I checked.
Chicken Tikka is a boneless version, and Tikka Masala is the gravy version of that, slightly more chillies.
Andhra Cuisine is way hotter than what is dished up as Tandoori / Balti / Indian in England, believe me.
For some reason the first wave of Indian restaurants had cooks from Bangladesh, mostly from Sylhet.
Their knowledge of Punjabi / Tandoori cooking was sketchy at best. As a comparison, it was like a Welshman cooking Borsch, or Neapolitan Pasta in Venezuela, only the unsuspecting locals did not know it, it was a change for them, and they liked it.

Now, who will start a thread about Curries?

Last edited:
Of 1,25,496 bags of chilli arrived at the Guntur market yard on Tuesday, 1,19,137 bags were sold.....

I note your use of the Indian comma separators (1,25,496) designating 1.25 lakh bags of chilis... :D

Years ago a friend of mine was contemplating a trip to Sri Lanka. Now this friend is fair skinned and chews antacid tablets. I looked up Sri Lanka in the gazetteer of my old Britannica atlas (actually had to look up Ceylon) and it revealed that their biggest agricultural crop was chilis, and it's biggest agricultural import was also chilis...

Nezbleu, your friend actually did or did not go to Sri Lanka?
It was a British colony, they also have a big tourist industry, I feel the food may be available for those with a taste for mildly flavored food.

I copy pasted the chilli bag quantities from an Indian newspaper, so yes, the local comma system was used.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
For some reason the first wave of Indian restaurants had cooks from Bangladesh,

To this day most UK curry restaurants are staffed from Bangladesh. The history of the 'British curry' is intertwined with that of Brick lane in London, which is an interesting read if you get time.

Personally, having eaten proper home made Indian food I can't face most UK restaurant fare any more. It has been carefully evolved to suit the palate of people who have drunk too much. There are a few exceptions but you have to know where to look.