The food thread

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Yes i understood you are an amateur Stein. In the noble sense of the word: a connaisseur!
I'm always floored to see the level of some people ( just like in audio).

A surdough of 25 years, congrats the last one i've done lasted maybe 6 month then died.
I still don't know why. Maybe i used a poor flour ( refined and treated) to feed it.

I've seen a different way to do Poolish ( and why i talked about Lambig too as it is based amongst same principle from what i've seen): the recipe is the same as yours except no yeast is used and the rest time is long ( at ambient temp) something along 24/48hours.

They used the natural sourdough which is present everywhere around us to start the first fermentation ( same for Lambig and why they never move the production place: taste would change once restarted!).

Talking about rye, the baker from my village does a rye puff bread to die for! I don't buy it too often as i can help myself and eat it entirely... in maybe one hour! And as there must be a ton of butter in it... :rolleyes:

About yeast and baguette i think there is some official recipe about it ( a 'label') and it ask for fresh yeast ( deactivated- non dry). I will ask tomorrow... we have so much different breads in there. And i almost like them all!

If there is two things i couldn't live without it is bread and cheese from my country! :D

Thanks

Yes, the way you describe how you make a poolish I agree that this is close to the way I'm using the sourdough, by taking a part of the original sourdoug and feed it to make it more potent before using it to baking.

I don't use eco flour to feed the sourdough to keep it alive for years, but I take only a part of the sourdough and add flour and water and throw away the rest of the mother sourdoug or use it for baking.

I can't find a recipie for Lambig.

I love French cheese as well, Belgian beer and also Dutch cheese.

BTW: I ordered a "Sous Vide" stick the other day, received it today and are making "Deerloin" with vegetables this evening. I have never used Sous Vide before so this is my first trial.:eek:

Stein

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Stein,
Well i'm sorry i used Lambig instead of Lambic! Lambig is an alcool ( distillated cider to produce a 40 to 50% alcool, abit like Calvados in Normandy) produced in Bretagne (brittany) as i was thinking about Lambic beer which is a Belgian kind of Beer. Both name originating from the alambic used, confusion is possible...

Please apologize... :p
At least if you didn't know about it you discovered a specialty of the place i live in. :)

The most known Lambic in my country are Lindeman's 'Faro', 'la Kriek' or 'la Gueuze'.

Spontaneous fermentation is used started by 'wild yeast'. They are usually not very sparkling and sweet to very sweet ( sugar taste). Some doesn't consider them to be a beer...

About Poolish yes there is many ways to produce it and like with all recipe there is a lot of variations around same theme ( as much as individuals it seems some time!).

Cheese. Oh well, european's one are so goods. Netherlands, Italy, Switzerland,... europeans country are all very goods and with a lot of different character to them. I think i've never been to a place where i didn't find one i liked ( even mediteranean country's have delicious one).

But originating from an half mountain area where we have an incredible tradition about cheese ( Franche Comte where we have something like 10 to 20 differents 'official' cheese) i have a preference to them.

'Sous vide' stick? I know the 'sous vide' technique ( i use it to limit waste with some ingredients as it bring a longer allowed keep time under haccp rules) but stick i don't know what it relate too.

The technique is widely used in here. I was surprised when some friend of mine working in 'prestigious' restaurant ( with stars at Gault and Millaud) told me they used it extensively ( as well as freezing! But with azote, not our typical way of doing it). They cook one recipe a day then put it sous vide and at cold then they warm it along the week... not very different than what we do at home with our 'low quality' food! :D

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Sorry for late reply, but I have been watching chess on TV
"not Cheese":)
Magnus showed whose best today, dont know why Jan didnt give in a lot earlier.

No problems my friend, no reason for apology.

The Sous Vide "stick" that I bought is the Lava LX.20-sous-vide-stick.
I have used the Lava V.300 vacuum sealer for years so I trust them.

BTW: the dinner yesterday was absolutely perfect.

I agree that there is a lot of good cheese made in Europe.
A cheesmaker 5 minutes from where I live was crowned "World Champion Cheese 2018"

The fun fact is that he in the first years was not allowed to sell his chees as human food, but only as cheese allowed for mousetraps.:confused:
Believe me, he sold a lot of cheese for mousetraps and I dont think that a single mouse had the opportuniy to taste that cheese.:)

Stein

My Dad took a trip to Portugal in the early 90s, he returned with a mild alcohol addiction, and a strong appreciation for the cheeses that were common there. I remember he gave me some chunks of goat cheese he brought back, were like nothing I’d had before.

Someday I’d like to go and experience that for myself.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008

Attachments

• Finsk flagg.jpg
    Finsk flagg.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 81
Not much time for diy audio projects these days. But I can still save some for cooking.

I was cooking with some college students tonight so these deboned, stuffed chickens are far from looking perfect (and the picture is taken mid cooking). They were perfectly edible though. Best stuffing: sauteed spinach, cheese, Parma ham, sun dried tomatoes and dried bread soaked in milk.

Jacques Pepin is the man as usual: Pepin Debone Chicken Galantine Ballotine - YouTube

Attachments

• ballotines.jpg
    ballotines.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 78
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Not much time for diy audio projects these days. But I can still save some for cooking.

I was cooking with some college students tonight so these deboned, stuffed chickens are far from looking perfect (and the picture is taken mid cooking). They were perfectly edible though. Best stuffing: sauteed spinach, cheese, Parma ham, sun dried tomatoes and dried bread soaked in milk.

Jacques Pepin is the man as usual: Pepin Debone Chicken Galantine Ballotine - YouTube

That looks very good.:lickface:

Stein

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Sheep's milk. Although some places allow other milks and still call it Feta.

Cal That's right, Feta is originally made of sheeps milk, but some are using a mix of sheep and goat milk. I have even seen some large producers making Feta with only cow milk.:mad:
In my opinion an original Feta is good when used in the right dish, but it cant match a good Chevre (goat cheese):)

Stein

Wikipedia:
"Feta (Greek: φέτα, féta) is a Greek brined curd white cheese made from sheep's milk or from a mixture of sheep and goat's milk. It is soft, with small or no holes, a compact touch, few cuts, and no skin. It is formed into large blocks, and aged in brine. Its flavor is tangy and salty, ranging from mild to sharp. It is crumbly and has a slightly grainy texture. Feta is used as a table cheese, in salads such as Greek salad, and in pastries,"

They seem to say a mix of sheep and goat milk is allowed.

Tonight I am turning a sow's ear into a silk purse, or at least some other pig parts into something I hope will be good. After a long absence I have returned to my work place in Montreal, hence to my apartment there. When I left in May 2020 I thought it was for a few months, probably back in the fall. So now I am playing "What's In the Freezer?", and can I resurrect it. I found a package of pork sirloin chops which were packaged (and presumably bought by me) on March 14, 2020. I don't know why I didn't cook them before I left in early May, maybe I just had other options. They were not spoiled but definitely a bit "freezer burned", which means a bit dried out. So tonight I took them out and thawed them, fried a bunch of onions and garlic, added the pork just long enough to start to cook then added white wine, fresh thyme and rosemary, bay leaves, chilis, chicken stock, and a big tin of diced tomatoes. Let them simmer for a good long while and added sliced green peppers, and will let all that simmer for a while. I'll make some rice to go with. Hopefully a long braise will rehydrate the 1.75 year old pork.

On the same topic, I had intended to fly from Montreal to Halifax in April, 2020 to come home for easter. Of course that became impossible, even before the airline shut down and canceled my flights. So suddenly I was going to be alone for Easter. The local shops ran some big sales, and one had good prices on whole lamb legs and also whole beef tenderloins, so I bought one of each. I cut them up and wrapped and froze most of them, reserving a nice lamb top-side roast for my solo Easter dinner and a chateaubriand roast for mid-week. So now I come back and there are plastic-wrapped blobs of red meat in the freezer that I can't identify... I figured I could make a stew and it would be good no matter whether the meat was beef tenderloin or lamb leg, especially with enough red wine etc in it. Pretty sure the package I pulled out was beef, but when I made it, it was "mystery meat".

Last edited: