The food thread

Today I made potato gratin with pork tenderloin. Seared the pork and basted in butter with garlic and thyme, put it in the oven with two sliced red apples that I turned in the butter. Let it sit at 180C until 66C inner temp. Cooked the apples a few more minutes at higher heat to soften them a bit more while the meat was resting. Then I flamed the apples with some cognac, cut the meat, spread the apples around it and poured the juices on the meat. Served with nice cold pinot griot with some fizziness on the tongue and nice notes of green apples. Forgot to take pictures.
Simple, creamy and delicious! :)

> maybe you could find a local farm making a better product.

Or move to Dubai : )

Attachments

• 1119627-001.jpg
    1119627-001.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 104
Last night we made a vegetarian curry using an Indian recipe, and served it with garlic naan bread and raita (yogurt - cucumber condiment).

The raita was lifeless and unexciting, it was missing a "zing" compared to the raita served in local Indian restaurants. Restaurant raita seems to have a sort of a buttermilk-like sour flavor which ours, made with American supermarket ingredients, lacked. The recipe we used (from epicurious.com) is shown below.

What should we add or leave out, to get a closer approximation of the raita they serve in Indian restaurants?

Thanks very much!

_

Here is my usual dahi raita recipe, it's pretty simple:

2 cucumbers
2 tsp salt
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/4 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 c yoghurt
lemon juice to taste

peel and slice the cucumbers very thinly. Put in a bowl, sprinkle with salt, chill about an hour. Pour off the liquid pressing out as much as possible. Mix garlic and ginger into yoghurt, then stir in cucumbers thoroughly. Taste and add salt if needed, add lemon juice to taste. Chill, letting flavors settle and combine.

Pressing out the excess water from the cukes improves the flavor, and the salt and lemon add a bit of zing. You can also substitute sour cream for the yogurt for a richer version.

I like to remove the seeds and the peel, grate and brine before using a salad spinner to remove all the water, but I only make tzatziki. Our Greek market does not put as much cucumber in as I prefer, I also like it extra sharp. OTOH their yogurt is unique and more of a combo of farmers cheese and yogurt. It caused a bit of a stir when someone sent a sample to Dartmouth's food science lab and it showed 20% fat while they claim 2%. Being 100% goat and sheep milk it comes out very acidic.

Put the ingredients into your InstantPot in the evening and you have yogurt for breakfast. It's automatic temp control and pretty straight forward.

Pasta is another easy and really satisfying one as you can customize it. The concerns I have with mine is it's not wide enough and you are limited with the cutters.

Attachments

• IMG_2897.jpg
    IMG_2897.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2896.jpg
    IMG_2896.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 84
Holy C**p !
I thought I was being facetious ......

Back when I was a pre - teen living with my Grandparents ,
we always kept a ' fresh ' cow , so had a plethora of milk .
Also we always had dozens of chickens .
We had home made ( with a ' separator ' ) milk , cream , and butter .
We did not eat yogurt , and bought our cottage cheese .
HOWEVER .....
My Grandma would ' clabber ' excess milk and feed it to
the chickens ...

I make my yogurt by the half gallon.

If you want thick creamy yogurt, heat the milk to 180F and hold for 15 minutes. (skip this step for Buttermilk)

Pour out a cup of milk and add 1/2 cup powdered milk, 2 Tbsp sugar and 2Tbsp yogurt with active culture. Mix well and top off with the milk you pulled off previously.

Cool to 115F in a cold water bath.

Place in a cooler and top with 115F water. Check the temp every couple of hours and pull a little water, boil it and add it back to keep the temp up.

Let it cool over nite.

Using Activia vanilla yogurt as a starter, the resulting yogurt has a tart lemon like flavor.

We agree and then differ on some things I see. It might just be that the InstantPot does a lot of the work for me. Let's find out. I start in the morning.
Heat the milk. Mandatory. (we don't use buttermilk, it costs more than yogurt around here). On the yogurt setting, the pot heats the milk for you, then shuts off automatically but keeps it somewhat warm as it insulated.
After 30 minutes or so, I add the same amount of powdered milk as you do. I don't add sugar, maybe you can tell me about that.
I do not cool in a water bath. I let it sit in the pot and cool very slowly. 6- 8 hours or so before adding the culture. Cooling slowly seems to stabilize things and makes for a thicker, more enjoyable yogurt texture in my experience.
Push the button in the early evening for 12 hours or so and come back when the ***** (I inserted the word for roosters here BTW) are a-doodling.
Then and only then do I place it in a water bath to chill. Feed and water the animals, bring in the fresh eggs and today's milk, and by 9 am you're ready for breakfast. :)