The food thread

I have bought Australian lamb (usually frozen) and New Zealand, which was cryo-packed but not frozen. Either way I prefer local lamb from Nova Scotia, and I understand that fresh, local lamb in Quebec is very good. I suspect local meat from wherever you are is usually the best. Stuart I agree that was an unusually lean lamb leg. Given the way I was planning to cook it, that wasn't an issue.

Recently someone gave me a tin of Mozambican PiriPiri spice (a blend of chilis and other spices). Today was an unusually nice day for the time of year, sunny and above 15C. I lit some charcoal, spatchcocked a chicken, and seasoned it with Kosher salt, paprika, and piripiri spice, and slow grilled it over the charcoal with some bits of hickory and cherry wood for a hint of smoke. Once again served with the lemony Greek roasted spuds and a salad.

IMG_20210321_193747~2.jpg

Edit: I mentioned the weather because we had a snow storm a couple of days ago. The nice weather today made my charcoal BBQ accessible.

Last edited:
a little too scary in the meat section.

Scott embrace the scary! :) Buy something, try it, then go back and tell them how good it was, and what you would like better. I bet they will come around and do it your way, especially if you introduce a friend.

I have had meat that was badly butchered so you didn't know what cut you were getting. When cooked (perhaps treated like an unknown piece of flesh), it was fine. I remember going to the Plymouth market in Montserrat, BWI. Pieces of unrecognizable beef freshly cut up and arrayed on a table, flies buzzing around and that smell. Got it back home, rinsed it off, seasoned it, cooked it, tasted great.

Black Stuart, we have a saying in the South:

"A meal without gravy is like a day without sunshine."

With regards to lamb, I seldom cook it as I am by myself now and most cuts are a bit large for one person. I do not know if what we have in the stores locally has been frozen or not. Most stores carry it on an irregular basis. I will ask the next time I see any.

Black Stuart, we have a saying in the South:

"A meal without gravy is like a day without sunshine."

You didn't grow up in Cleveland OH

With regards to lamb, I seldom cook it as I am by myself now and most cuts are a bit large for one person. I do not know if what we have in the stores locally has been frozen or not. Most stores carry it on an irregular basis. I will ask the next time I see any.

During the lockdowns we ordered from a couple of restaurant supply houses. Without gaggles of grand-children to consume mountains of food mamselle portioned and wrapped the stuff upon every delivery.

Costco lamb chops, also called "lamb-sicles" by one of the daughters-in-law, are easily repackaged for a later date.

I hear you, but look up "lamb top-side roasties". It's pretty easy to start with a leg, even a "short leg" as they call it around here (no shank, no H bone, just most of the thigh on the bone) and separate the 3 major muscles, then even cut the biggest one in half if needed. Brown it in a skillet and put it in a 400F oven for 20 minutes or less. You have either one large serving or a dinner and a lunch. It's not fatty or greasy and the leftovers can be chopped up and thrown in a curry or something.

Here's the start. I am hoping to make a puck like this...
The cylinder is a floor drain with a nice shelf to support the bottom cap.
The ram is an ABS receiver pipe sanded down to ensure ease of travel.
The top and bottom caps are the back of electrical boxes cut out with a hole saw and ground to fit.
There's an HDF piece to protect the ram as the compaction will be done with a 6" bench vice.

All I need now is to make this all work. Especially the mixture of water, sawdust and starch. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0416.jpg
    IMG_0416.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0408.jpg
    IMG_0408.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0410.jpg
    IMG_0410.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_0420.jpg
    IMG_0420.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 116
Joined 2014
Paid Member
For a bit of food horror. Making honey without bees and milk without cows - BBC News

I have to admire when the CEO of a biotech company can say with a straight face
"Our proprietary fermentation technology allows us to control and even surpass the texture, taste and culinary functionality of animal-derived egg counterparts,"

If by 'culinary functionality' he means better suited to precision production line foodstuffs I can at least buy that...

The Gimp - there's only one of you and there's only two of us but the solution is simple - a 5* freezer. One of the best inventions of the 20th century and should be mandatory in every home. It makes me sick to see just how much food my own country wastes, let alone others.

A leg of lamb is one of the most cost effective forms of food (if your a meat eater) to buy. Roast lamb - 1st helping. Cold, I cut slices, enough for at least 3 meals for two and using Moroccan lamb stock c cubes, 2 bay leaves I make braised lamb that then goes into the 5* freezer. There will still be plenty for lamb sandwiches - lettuce, lamb and slices of cucumber with sea salt and (for me) rakes of course ground black pepper, a glass of full bodied red wine is nice. I then use a hacksaw to cut up the bones (marrow bone jelly) and put them with the various cuts of lamb to simmer using the veg. stock. Making virtually any soup onions are obligatory and at the death,sliced potatoes. As I said I cannot understand why lamb soup isn't far more popular. There's always enough for at least 4 big bowls of soup - there's your solution Gimp.

The 5* freezer means that when I cook Basmati or whole/brown rice I use kilo packets and divi out into portions - cost effective in time and money. Chillies freeze easily like a lot of veg but there are exceptions - frozen cauliflower and broccoli just aren't the same. Blackberries freeze beautifully.

Have you all noticed that the only posters on this thread are American/Canadian/British/Aussies!. I've lived in the Netherlands/Germany/Spain and now France and unless mainlander men actually work in professional cooking environments - they don't.

I understand that things have changed in the Netherlands and Germany but not in France or Spain - what happens when your wife/partner is ill. I remember when we lived in Guadix behind the Sierra Nevadas in Andaluz and my wife broke her wrist (osteoporosis) all our neighbours young wives offered to cook for us. They were shocked when I said that ordinarily I did a lot of the cooking anyway, their husbands never did. When I lived in Rotterdam I invited a new Dutch girlfriend to a meal at my home. She was with some girlfriends and they all sniggered. When she turned up and saw what I had prepared she turned around and walked out, shocked, knowing full well she couldn't compete. At that time the best food in the Netherlands was either Indonesian or Turkish - so it goes.

It should be easy for Brits to find a North African food shop, maybe also in the States or Oz and NZ - check out the stock cubes - lamb/chicken and beef unlike the normal stock cubes you will NOT find them loaded with salt.

Making these bisquettes is proving rather challenging. While the DIY apparatus appears functional and straightforward, it is the recipe that is indeed showing why they are able to monopolize those unsuspecting purchasers of their machines. The conundrum being that if you can afford those bisquettes, why would you ever bother to smoke your own food?

I tried those bisquette recipes found on the net and laughed all the way to the compost with my useless container of adulterated sawdust.

Then the bull called me. He said grab my horns and let's do this.
Folks, I went into full DIY mode.
The results are varied but by recipe #9 I might have something. They are on the drying rack and I will know in a day or two how this went. Pictures later after the camera battery recharges. Time for a dog walk now.
Cheers.