The food thread

Our digestive ability changes over time.

For instance, the older one gets the more fiber one needs to avoid constipation. I saw two posters in a doctors office once. The first was a list of vegetables high in fiber. The second was a list of vegetables which cause gas.

The lists were identical.

I find it easier to digest fish, pork and chicken than I do red meat.

aged steak ?

A chef I worked with came up with aging steak for another two weeks at 39F, used it for a regular week menu special.
In particular old folks loved it, fancy linen tablecloth/napkins, silver cutlery plus Villeroy & Boch porcelain plates, for an entry level couvert ticket.

Each time I had it, it took a couple of hours to develop bowel cramps, before flooding the gates.
Not until the third or fourth time it happened, did I realise that it was the aged meat they used to prepare my plate.

That was a quarter century ago.
Since a couple of years, supermarkets here carry a line of extended aged meat, starts at $18/lb.
Tried it once, stomach cramps and bowel movement within a couple of hours.

The bloke, André Bernard, opened his own à la carte restaurant a decade ago, ~11 miles from where I live, he went broke within 4 years.
Ended up as chef of the restaurant in a fancy appartment building for well-off elderly. Hillegondaflat, onze keuken
The Price to pay for Misch(i)ef :clown:

Stress of running his own show cost him 100lb at least, 6'7'' guy. Back when we were collegues, he was way heavier than me, I did ~240lb then (though with twice his biceps size)

Attachments

• André.jpg
    André.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
> "liquid with putrefaction"

A little much, but aging a steak (or hamburger) is certainly a boon to gastronomy !

I was actually quoting an old English author on how game birds should be hung up for aging. Back in the day a local restaurant would skirt the authorities and fly in occasional treats like illegal caviar from sanctioned countries and real shot game, the grouse OTOH was wonderful aged over the top.

Jacco better stay away from David Burke's in Chicago 75 days!

http://www.yelp.com/biz/david-burkes-primehouse-chicago

Last edited:
Bresse bleu

Just had Bresse Bleu French cheese on Sour dough with Pernod Ricard , my friend just returned from France and surprised me with this epic combination , after picking him up from Brisbane airport :)

Been 61 years on this planet , Only fresh raw "maatjes" hearing tasted better , but unfortunately that's impossible to get in Australia :mad:

Cheers ,

Rens

What ever happened to the breatharians?

It is better to have some diet coke in your bloodstream (if possible) before starting the meditation exercise. You may drink as much as you desire of diet coke in the 20 oz and 1 liter sizes and at McDonald's (with caffeine) in the plastic bottles only. The double-quarter-pounder/with cheese meal at McDonald's is the other part of this diet. Try to eat at least one meal a day for at least for 1 month (30 days) to get started.

I think that's the gelatin, a proper chilled stock can NOT be poured (unless it's one of SY's veggie stocks).

This reminded me of that recipe (tonkotsu ramen broth). Scroll down for pictures of some serious collagen/gelatin action.

I had a lazy day yesterday and made some. Feeling lazy I didn't clean the pigs' trotters as well as I should have and it came light brown rather than really white. Oh well, it didn't make much of a difference in mouth. That's somehow funny slurping down in 10 minutes something that took 10 hours to cook btw.

This reminded me of that recipe (tonkotsu ramen broth). Scroll down for pictures of some serious collagen/gelatin action.

I had a lazy day yesterday and made some. Feeling lazy I didn't clean the pigs' trotters as well as I should have and it came light brown rather than really white. Oh well, it didn't make much of a difference in mouth. That's somehow funny slurping down in 10 minutes something that took 10 hours to cook btw.

I've heard that long enough in a pressure cooker and a chicken will virtually completely dissolve. I usually do some of the early scum/fat skimming like they show. BTW this is one way they make soup dumplings Shanghai style, very firm lumps of chilled broth are solid enough to wrap and cook and have the soup inside the dumpling (so I was told). At least that was the result, you had to watch out like with chicken Kiev and the hot butter.

Fiddleheads have arrived at the local Asian market. First time I've seen them there. In the past I've ordered them in 5 lbs. boxes but when that went to $60, I found they didn't have the same appeal. Today, they are $3 for 300 grams so I grabbed some. Soaking, trimming, scrubbing and parboiling as I type. I think they must be my favourite veg. :)

I tried the sauerkraut today. I didn't get the schitz, so I guess it is ok.

Too much salt. I'll use less next time. I'm going to let it continue to ferment for another week trying it every day or so to see how it evolves. It is nice and crispy. Slightly sour.

I've got four more heads of "Dutch Flathead" cabbage in the garden, so more experimentation is in order. Spices next.

Fiddleheads have arrived at the local Asian market. First time I've seen them there. In the past I've ordered them in 5 lbs. boxes but when that went to $60, I found they didn't have the same appeal. Today, they are $3 for 300 grams so I grabbed some. Soaking, trimming, scrubbing and parboiling as I type. I think they must be my favourite veg. :)

Last week my daughter and I grilled a black bass and had fiddleheads on the side sauteed with garlic butter. She's back to working at whole paycheck so I share the benefit. :)

Joined 2011
Paid Member
I tried the sauerkraut today. I didn't get the schitz, so I guess it is ok.

Too much salt. I'll use less next time. I'm going to let it continue to ferment for another week trying it every day or so to see how it evolves. It is nice and crispy. Slightly sour.

I've got four more heads of "Dutch Flathead" cabbage in the garden, so more experimentation is in order. Spices next.

One way to really accelerate the kraut is to add about a TBSP or two of kefir whey when you pound it into the jar. Really ramps up the number and variety of lacto-______ bacteria and yeasts.

Try caraway seeds, if you like them. :)