stupid things we've done

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know that, I've been there last summer too. But renting bikes were extremely heavy, maybe twice or more than an standard mountain bike. They were rented from Mac-bike and although the have brakes (!!) and 3 gears, they were too heavy.
A mountain bike is very handy to stop fast and doing some of what I like to call Urban-Motocross :D

The downside is that I felt more confident with the other one. Riding on a so heavy bike makes you feel as mighty as driving some kind of wrecking truck

Regards,
Regi

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
I know that, I've been there last summer too.

I understand that you want to go back, beautiful country. I fell in love there with many things, Dutch girls were a bit "bulky" for my liking but those gardens...oh, la la. Tidy and clean country, but I couldn't find a decent beach.

Anyway don't be stupid and spent all your time in the red district (hehe), go to the countryside.

Attachments

• Beach12.jpg
    Beach12.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 343
Toscanini, Italian restaurant, 10 minute walk from the railway central station to the west.
Started by an English woman 25 years ago, Maud Moody, Carluccio found their cooking worthwhile when he visited the place, campaña like casual.

The club scene there hasn't been much after Manfred Langer died and his IT club went down the drain in the late 90s.
My fav street is the gay theme reguliersdwarsstraat, there's a cool latin bar disco halfway.
My tuition was funded by weekend door labor in the A'dam city centre for several years, the gay places are the most trendy and friendly.
I prefer not having to beat up hostiles, in particular if i do not get paid for it.

(i'd pick the Barca harbor area any time though, for food, music and scenery)

Last edited:
Ah yes, the stupid things that we do never ceases to amaze me. :rolleyes:

Here we go. While not totally understanding the finer points of DC in my younger days, I figured to experiment with a 9v battery.

Remember when you would touch a 9v battery to your tounge and get a sharp tingle? Well, I had to take one step further.

In a moment of enlightenment, I decided to make my entire mouth tingle by appling the 9v battery to my braces....:eek:

Learning lesson in a 'direct short'. Let's just say the wire of my braces lit up like the filliment of a 300b.:hot: I had to hold my lips open until the wire cooled down...

The bad thing is, I told my dad to 'watch this' and he was in tears laughing by the time I figured out what was happening

Brian

Last edited:
Once in Madrid I threw away what was left of the LSD strip I bought in Amsterdam. Back to normal life.

Speaking of stupid things. The strips were called "blotter acid" here. There were cubes, and of course "orange sunshine" and "purple haze" (barrels). Now what do you do when you go to a Jimi Hendrix concert, well purple haze of course. At least I remember that concert, 43 years later. Jimi opened for the Monkeys! at the Orange Bowl football stadium (now torn down). I remember Jimi setting his guitar on fire. After watching that show, I knew that I would never be a guitar player. I could play surf music, but what I had just seen seriously raised the bar in guitar playing. Did get an Echoplex though.

I have been told by the friends that I went with, that I was present at the Doors concert where Jim Morrison was arrested for alledgedly masturbating on stage, but I have no recollection of that show.

I have seen Pink Floyd several times. Acid was needed for the Ummaguma tour.

In one of my previous posts, I mentioned two friends who managed to kill themselves before graduating high school. Acid was involved in both cases. One Darwin award candidate took acid and went scuba diving ALONE. He was found 2 days later.

In the late 60's Dade county was being surveyed. Temporary survey towers (like a fire tower) were errected. These were easy to get into and we often took binoculars, telescopes, and CB radios. Drug parties were common too. One unlucky soul on acid jumped.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
One unlucky soul on acid jumped.

Probably an unhappy soul as well. Acid is dangerous, it will amplify X10000 what is going on in your inner self. Higher Mu than pentodes. Once I stopped a friend who tried to jump off from his eighth-floor balcony. Scary moment. Happy souls generally have a good time but the unhappy ones tend go into self destruct mode.

Last edited:
Probably an unhappy soul as well.

I didn't know either to well other than mutual friends. The scuba diver was in the commercial art class next door to the electronics class I attended in HS. He had plenty of talent and some of his acid inspired art was "out there". The tower jumper was one year behind me in the 3 year long electronics program. He seemed relatively normal.

Happy souls generally have a good time but the unhappy ones tend go into self destruct mode.

The effects are mood dependent, but also highly dependent on the surroundings and the experiences of others in the group. The purity of the acid makes a big difference too. So does the power of suggestion.

Jacco, anything remarkable to do/see/visit in amsterdam next week? Any place that specially delights you, for eating or whatever?

Thanks,
Regards

Not Jacco, but spent a lot of time there.

Best beer bar- Golem (two locations). My last time there, I was with Morgan Jones, so my memory is a bit dim. Poor Erik deBest had to put up with us.

Best junk food- the Maoz falafel stand just off Leidsepleine. The other ones are nice, this one is the best.

Best Indonesian food- Sahid Jaya, near the flower market. You can work up an appetite at Betty Boop 2, right across the street.

Back in the early seventies I was a night watchman at a local furniture factory. Late one winter night a trucker stopped by to drop a load, I opened an old steel roll up door, when I tried to close it (now the cold Wisconsin weather blowing in, hard) the door jammed and blew a fuse.

As smart as I was (and cold) I popped open the knife style disconnect/fuse box, the only thing handy to pry out the fuses was a wide blade putty knife.
Fourth of July!!! Eyes got flash burnt. (I'm the only one there) Good news was, I didn't kill myself, and could see well enough to find the maintenance shop, and replaced the fuses.
Next day I found that it was 480 3ph.

December 19, 2009, I was shearing some sheep for an old friend. We were about to knock off for some lunch, and i was shearing the last sheep for the morning, I had just done the 'undermine' blows, and was just stepping forward to shear up the neck when the young ewe gave a gentle kick. As gentle as it was, I just happened to be getting a better grip on the handpiece at the time, and it was JUST enough to knock it out of my hand.
It's something I've done a dozen or more times before, but I tried to catch it......................, one time too many, it would seem.
Having confused my capabilies, with Murphy's probabilities, I only succeded to knock that very angry pair of 1kw scissors deep into my left wrist,:censored: before I was able to make my second and successful attempt at catching it.
Although I knew what I had just seen, I only felt a lighter than expected 'bump', and proceeded to shear, until a second or so later, when I saw this funny bright red stuff squirt onto the floor.:eek:
Christmas eve morning, (yes, it took that long!), was spent on the operating table re-attatching a severed carpi flexor tendon, I also managed to cut an artery, ( the one you use to check your pulse, I think). Lucky to have not hit any nerves.

STUPID, because if I had just let it fall to the floor, instead of trying to catch it, it would have cost me $40 to replace the comb, as it turns out, it cost me a whole lot more!

Since then we have celebrated out tenth wedding anniversary, 'cause I married the right sister!!!!!!!!!!!:p...:D....:rofl:!

Ha ha - good thread.

No.1 - Woke up one night and noticed sparks under the fitted sheet from my electric blanket. Wondered what would happen if I turned it up to maximum heat setting. It blew up in my face and left me flash blind for at least 5 minutes.
Never used an electric blanket since.

No.2 - While building a Decware preamp kit I had everything connected and powered up so I could check the voltages with my multi-meter. Without thinking, I put one probe on the 240v active and the other on chassis earth to check the mains voltage. Fast blow fuse blew itself to powder. Lucky for me. Zapped myself on the filter caps at least three times as well - ouch!

Oh yeah, don't pee on an electric fence... (just kidding, I really didn't do that :D)

Cheers,

Alex

Peeing on an electric fence can be very pleasant.

What isn't pleasant is crossing a fence in the UK Lake district, with a 75lbs backpack, before checking if the group of hairballs in the field is a bunch of cows or 1Y bull calves.
The stupid part is thinking you can outrun them with that extra weight, before one of them sticks you in the b.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.