stupid things we've done

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
The effects are mood dependent, but also highly dependent on the surroundings and the experiences of others in the group. The purity of the acid makes a big difference too. So does the power of suggestion.

Right, I totally agree. My "superman" friend was at the time a very clever and handsome lad with a bright future so I had trouble understanding his desire to jump. Later I did realize that he suffered from depressions, the acid just made them worse - a lot worse.
Anyway there are differences between "accidents" like the scuba diver and tower jumpers. In any case LSD it's not something to fool around with, I definitely don't recommended it to anyone who's under 30 or has an unstable personality.

The vacuum cleaner stopped working so I disassembled it to find one of the power leads was broken. I put it between my teeth to remove some insulation.... yep, forgot to unplug. :D

Amsterdam : rent an electrical boat (f.i. near Hotel l'Europe), you see places you otherwise won't see.

Drugs : do what you want but not in my country please, to many irritating drunk and stoned foreigners already. Some even manage to kill themselves with it.

Jeroen

I already do my bests in being a disgusting drunk drug addict, so no plans in doing that there. Anyway, now that almost all drugs have been banned, there's no point in going there to that end. You can get the same here with the same difficulties.
I was meaning hard drugs. I don't think soft drugs have that social drawbacks. If something, thay seem to keep people more quite and calmed, the opposite as what you can see in some turistic places all around my country. All full of foreign tourist totally pissed off and looking for a fight without any aparent reason. Well, yes, being drunk.

The vacuum cleaner stopped working so I disassembled it to find one of the power leads was broken. I put it between my teeth to remove some insulation.... yep, forgot to unplug. :D

Hehehe . Years ago (haven't goten much wiser since than) I was working on a tube set and tried to check if more capacitance in PSU will make a difference. I soldered some leads to spare can capacitor and was touching the circuit cap legs. After a few attempts I decided that the contact was too small and I need to remove some insulation from the leads .Since I never sinned with patience I put the cap leads between my teeth effectively discharging it in my mouth f.........ck ! Did it hurt .I'm lucky I still have a head although it may not be the same anymore ;0)

Capacitors are very dangeous, LOTS of current without control.

Me happened something like that. YEars ago I was trying to repair an standfloor lamp when I forgot to unplug it while fiddling with an skrewdriver. Suddenly, it shocked me so high that left me paralized for a second or two. Very strange sensation apart from hurting. It was like going away for a few seconds. What a rush! :D

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, based on the one simple rule, 'If you don't try it, it can't addict you or harm you directly'. Works for me

This comes back to being young and stupid. Haven't "taken a trip" since I was about 25.

btw, I use to smoke (not cigarettes) while soldering or surfin in this forum :p

I must admit that my fascination with the "wacky tobacky" lasted a bit longer. I was a daily user from age 17 until 37 when I decided to start my college education. I needed all of my brain cells working in unison.

I don't know about this but some designs seem to be the product of an intoxicated mind.

Many of my early circuits were devised in a somewhat altered state. Back in 1970 I got this idea that all 12 notes in the musical scale could be generated by dividing a high frequency (about 2 MHz) by 12 different integers. The lower octaves could be made by dividing each note by two. I actually built this circuit using RTL logic and made a fully functioning music synthesizer. It was dissasembled long ago, but I still have the circuit boards somewhere. Many people know that Mostek came out with all of this in a single chip in the 80's. The Mostek MK50240 top octave generator chip. Not bad for "stoned engineering". Where do you think the idea to melt tubes came from?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Thought recharging a small A76 cell (again... already been done once) seemed a good idea.

Wondered what the small explosive crack was a few hours into charging... the battery was on the bench in another room lightly "held" between a 12 volt SLA battery terminals with a 2K7 resistor as current limiter and spring.

Just black powder on the bench... no sign of the battery... which I think was at the other end of the room as I heard "something" go in the vacuum cleaning up :)

And all from just 4 ma or so.

Ohh, I remember when I blew up a C battery. It was in one of those battery packs in a remote controlled car. Dad had added a couple (more batteries) in parallel to give more oomph. I think it went through a puddle or something, but the car stopped when I was still pressing the forward button. Pushed the level again and one of the batteries went off like a grenade. There were bits 3m in each direction, and the bang was heard for a fair distance, too. We stopped modding batteries after that.

More silly, definitely not my stupidest

I'm in my mid 30's at the time.

Several models of a certain riding mower made their way into my possession. Simplicity Wonder Boy, if I recall. One center pole down the middle, a platform on back for the rear drive and engine, the rider sat in front of that, then up front were 2 tiny wheels and the steering linkage affixed under the foot rest. Had these rigs been still configured as riding mowers, there would have been a working mower deck attached under the rider. Not so for mine, not a mower deck to be found. No cowling, either. We are ultimately discussing a particular riding machine that has a motor, a clutch, a 4 speed transmission, 4 wheels, steering and not much else. Brakes? Nah. It started and ran - Putt putt city.

My front yard hadn't been completed, I had maybe 20 dump truck piles in the front yard. Neat arrangement, lets see if the little rig can climb the hill.....

Up the mound it went, but only a little ways - it got bogged down and stalled. I pushed in the clutch, rolled backwards rapidly for a moment, but since I had only climbed 3 or 4 feet, there was no major increase in speed (since the back wheels weren't far from flat ground). I restarted it, chose a lower gear, moved the throttle up a bit more.... zip, up I went. Over the top, down I went.... FAST! Onto the next big mound... too quickly, steeper hill..... the front wheels went up and kept lifting.... over my head they went!

I managed to push in the clutch, but no brakes! The front end slammed onto the mound I had climbed... my foot slipped off the clutch pedal, and up it went AGAIN! This time it went all the way over, there I am on my back tossing the little riding machine to the side as I slid down the mound of dirt. A big white cloud of oil smoke erupted as the engine tends to not like operating upside down.

I laughed for a few minutes at that! Still have the motor, but the rest of that little tractor is long gone.

:cheers:

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
[SIZE=-1]'If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out? ~Will Rogers

Learn from those who didn't live to tell the tale:

The Darwin Awards

Did I say learn?

[/SIZE]'Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.' --Douglas Adams

Last edited:
well this was about 25 years or so ago. We lived in a no electricity house with a wood stove for heat. I was home alone, and wanted to get the fire going easier.
I put a bunch of paper under the neatly stacked kindling.
Then i grabbed a small Styrofoam cup, and went on the porch to grab some saw gas out of dads chainsaw. By the time i put the gas cap back on The saw, the cup of gas i just poured was gone, just some gas spillage on the porch. Not thinking, i repeated the process but this time as soon as i filled the cup up i ran in the house and splashed it in the stove, cup and all.
When i threw the match in it blasted all the burning newspaper right out into the middle of the floor. after a couple seconds of shock, I stomped it out. I am pretty sure i cleaned it up, and it didnt damage the old linoleum floor. Probably asbestos, cause I never got in trouble.

and yes it sounded funnier in my head, so i am posting it anyways.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.