Why Would Anyone

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
PS : when i say "pseudo-vegan" i mean that she tries to eat vegan because she despises modern animal farming practices, but she is happy to eat meat, eggs, or dairy from ethical sources. In her ideal world she would hunt and eat wild game, probably with a bow. She has never killed anything nor held a bow, of course.

Good for her!

If I wasn't a hunter, I'd be a vegetarian. Exactly the same reasons your daughter stated (and more).

It isn't just lofty idealism. It is a very real and achievable option.

Meh. It's not my thing, but before my kid went veg I raised her on good food, and she will happily eat an Amy's frozen vegetarian burrito or pizza, but can't stomach most bad "chain" burritos or pizzas nor most frozen "vegan" stuff. I have no interest in eating any of the Amy's stuff, but when she tells me something is OK I trust her taste buds. (She also goes to friends' houses and shames their parents for their pathetic spice selection, and she's a pretty good scratch cook herself.)

Maybe that settles it, Cal. Chalupa is Mexican pizza.
(Though some might argue for quesadilla.)

So is "pizza" (some form of baked or broiled sauce/cheese/food on a crust) one of those universal foods that is expressed slightly differently in multiple cultures? Kind of like pilaf/pilau/pelau/paella/risotto, that is rice cooked with stock, spices and "stuff" which seems to emerge any place people have heard of rice? Each one is valid, authentic, and delicious if made with respect for ingredients and local traditions and love.

So is "pizza" (some form of baked or broiled sauce/cheese/food on a crust) <snip> Kind of like pilaf/pilau/pelau/paella/risotto <snip> Each one is valid, authentic, and delicious if made with respect for ingredients and local traditions and love.
I agree, especially the 'love' part. Food made with love is good for your soul, the rest is just sustenance. You can call what I make anything you like. I'ma gonna call it pizza.

Chalupa? WTF is that, it looks like a hard shell taco to me. :)

If you're going to do it, do it right.

http://www.pizzanapoletana.org/public/pdf/disciplinare 2008 UK.pdf

If you're going to do something different, that may or may not be fine, but don't call it pizza. At least to their credit the Sicilians call their sfinciuni.

Not a purist but IMO the most important part of that pdf is the cooking temperature and time to get a really good pizza: 485ºC (900ºF) and 60-90 seconds.

When I get an oven that can reach those I'll start making pizzas at home again.

Last edited:
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Well, I killed the yeast today.. It's fine, still delicious when the dough is made fresh and cooked at highest heat possible..

Attachments

• IMG_20150720_180440.jpg
    IMG_20150720_180440.jpg
    860.3 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_20150720_182036.jpg
    IMG_20150720_182036.jpg
    889 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.