John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
First came the radio play.
Second was the book.
Then came the 1981 BBC TV series.

I have the radio play on 6 cassettes, and the original 1981 series on DVD. There is an old LP series (?) but I have only one and don't know if they did the whole thing.

It even invented bitcoin. The last instalment is pure genius only "The Prisoner" had as many insights into the future. "It's not me it's the committee".

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
This is an interesting PA design. I hope it gets written up in Linear Audio or better.

Here is 2 Ohm data some one asked about.... limited by the bench supply ->

The distortion hardly changes with load Z and output level and freq. (!)

View attachment 651072

THx-RNMarsh

Hi
You don't say anything about what the test frequency is, I guess it is 1K.
If it is 1K those numbers are not anything to write home about.
Maybe you could do the same test at 20K?
I would also like to see the clipping behaviour.
Please run it in to clipping and show us if it is oscillating.

Yours
Reodor

I have very little control on the 'fixability' of my designs. I make schematics and prototypes. The final assembly is done by others, none of whom I have ever met.

Thank goodness for that. I had to repair a JC1 awhile back. It was not much fun at all. Clearly, an amplifier designed to be assembled inexpensively. That said, it does sound quite decent.

And I just had a Crest P9200 come across my bench. A bit of bother to get the main PC Card out. You have to remove the power cord, the input terminals, the output terminals and the power switch/circuit breaker. Once all that is out you can with a bit more trouble jiggle out the card.

This one once out showed the switching power supply failed and not just burned a hole through the fish paper insulation but deep into the case top.

Ordinarily when I get a product like this it goes to eBay as a dead unit. Folks buy it that way. Looking at the damage and lack of safety this one goes to the recycle bin.

As to eBaying bad stuff it seems to be an excellent way to economically handle some gear. One particular amplifier sells for a bit more than $200 DEAD! A new unit costs $325 wholesale. Just not worth fixing them if it is anything other than stupid simple.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.