John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, SY did NOT dissect the item and use serious instrumentation to measure it. The device is difficult to measure, that's for sure, but I hope to measure it, when I get the next generation of test equipment here.
As far as 'listening', I found the quantum purifier valuable with STAX Lambda electrostatic headphones, over 15 years ago, BEFORE I even met Jack Bybee.
I use Bybee devices on my quality audio power lines, loudspeakers, as an interface in my TV audio, and just today, I am experimenting with it on my new TV projector that I have had in operation for almost 2 months. Adding it to the projector power line appears to add more 'depth' to a hi res picture. I will live with it for awhile, then remove it, to tell the difference, definitively.
For the record, Jack offers 3 different versions of the same model that SY tested.
The cheapest one (like SY tested) uses the original leads on the internal resistor that is normally COPPERWELD, as this is a standard military type lead. It IS magnetic, and I questioned Jack about it, perhaps 10 years ago, and I told me that it did not make much difference.
However, in recent years, Jack offers solid silver or gold leads that have to be laser welded (not soldered) to the device. These versions cost significantly more, but people say they are worth it. I have not tried them, as I cannot afford them, normally.
These devices are for people who have done just about 'everything else' to their audio/video system already. Mid-fi need not apply, as it would be a better tradeoff to add further quality to the basic system first, just like with cables.

I am fairly 'ground down' at this time, and I don't dare talk about what excites me personally in audio developments, today, as it will invariably start a critical put-down here.
I'm very surprised to read this, John, and like to answer in a personal way.
You usually refuse to talk about your 'real' developments, justifying it by the fact you need them for a living or any NDA. And never provide numbers and Maths.
In the same time, you seem to promote magic secret pure snake oil like this Bybee Quantum Purifier.

Because you are a renowned designer, we, on the scientist side, can only joke with you, believing you have a VERY special sens of humor and provocation. Are-we wrong ?

I believe that, by habit, most of us are very nice and gentle, and usually, we agree on the same things, based on calculation and measurements.
Or, at least exchange with technical argues and respect when we not agree on something.

As far i'm concerned, I take no pleasure in hurting someone. On an other side, for those of us with a little knowledge of audio, as we are on a public forum, we are in a way responsible to stop the snake oil promotion near unwashed people, and promote the real thing, how do you want us to react ?

Some of your famous colleagues participate to this forum too. Are they mocked or contradicted in an aggressive way ?

Last edited:
Look at JBL now run by marketers and accountants rather than engineers, their classic products and engineering drive of the 50s through the 80s gone, except for their top of the line Japanese export market product , has lost it's soul. Closed up shop in California and now just a brand name to sell more Chinese and Mexican produced lo and mid fi. Looks good on a balance sheet somewhere.

LANSING HERITAGE

JBL is still relevant for PA systems, their Vertec and VTX line arrays would be accepted on almost any tour.

Esperado, I keep two separate types of technical info off this thread, these days, if I can help it.
First: I do not publish my latest schematics that are not already available from separate sources.
Two: I do not talk much about the tweaks and mods that we do to our products and our audio systems.
I have found that it is just not worth it to share this knowledge publicly, as it either leads to copying (with my name on it, much of the time), or the same sort of bad mouthing that Bybee gets here.

or the same sort of bad mouthing that Bybee gets here.
Strange, by habit, when something is clever, it is recognized as it with great pleasure.

SY, don't be cruel against people who chose Bentleys to make car races. I' not sure it is the best choice to win, but, at least, you can compete with dignity if you are allowed to keep your hat on..

Last edited:
John,
I don't think that we are really trying to rub your nose in anything here, but I think that most of us from any type of technical background don't believe in suto-science. If something does something we want to know why and how. Just taking someone's word for something has probably caught most of us at some time with egg on our faces. I do not take anything away from you as a designer and engineer as I can see from your history that you do have facts to back up things that you have done. Some things may be questionable to some, but they were not there to see the work that went into what you have done at say Ampex or many other places you have contributed. But just as I posted the ridiculous pucks to go on a wall and tune out standing waves the enlightened here aren't going for that! I suspect that others are thinking the same for a device that we are told to place on our wires or ac cords that are magical in how they work. Show us the science in any other field that backs it up and we may investigate the claims and see for ourselves, but to blindly take that sort of hockey puck for real is hard to swallow.

optical secrets
This is a good example. Laser is a very scary word.
They used diamond made optical lenses for the Photographic equipment of the mars robot. It is to get their surface resistant to heavy sand tempest on mars.
Now, some can sell those out-priced lenses with a commercial 'issued from spatial research' argue: it will not add any benefit to your camera lens, as Diamond is not the best optical material to avoid chromatic aberration.
Scott, i believe you were in a good position to know what is a military device: Did-you ever met something extraordinary, apart hardening and compliance to specs ?

Abut snake oil, one of the most valuable example of fraudulent attempts is indeed this one:
Harmonix by Combak
It is a compilation of near every bul*sh*t you can imagine. Including their own version of the Bybee Quantum Purifier.
I hope Mr Curl will have one day the occasion to make comparative listening sessions between those two devices.
Note that the argues are always the same: It reduce parasitics, add presence, localization and space between instruments, make the scene more 'living'. And no measurements provided, neither any scientific justification about the (technology ?) they used.

Last edited:
Christophe,
I'm with you on this one. Take the top device on that page. Something to go on your phone cartridge and tune it to sound better! Well so would placing a penny on top of that same cartridge and I would say you should be able to hear a difference when you change the mass on the cartridge but I for one am not paying someone for that! Let's leave this stuff for the consumer that believes that most water in a bottle is better than the same water from the tap, most of it is just that but makes someone the money to buy that Bentley.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
A couple things i did back in the dark ages of the roaming of phono arms and cartridges that worked without adding any significant weight: The arm was a Grace uni-pivot.... after replacing the internal wires with the smallest coax ever made.... I filled the arm tube with injected foam. same type used for drafts around windows and doors from your local hardware store.... high expansion foam. Light weight and lots of open cells but it damped the tube arm better than nothing/air.

On top of the thin stamped metal headphone shell I put a piece of thin double-sided foam tape.

Cheap and worked well for the combo i had.
[Used a Denon 103 cartridge at 1.0-1.5g pressure, I recall.]

Kavi A. has it now along with my lightly modified Thorens TD160.

Thx--RNMarsh
Just something I tried to learn what affect it might have.

Last edited:
John,
It isn't even that it needs to be easy to understand, just something that has a scientific basis in fact. I don't understand plenty in astrophysics but there is always some explanation of fact even if it is later found to be a mistaken fact that is corrected. If we can see or measure something eventually a theory of how it works does come to bare. That is all we are asking for sometimes, a theory of fact that we can investigate. I am always looking to learn something new or I wouldn't bother to spend my time here in the first place. I have learned many things already but I do have a pretty good filter for fairy dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.