John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
You talking about something extraordinary like this!!
Back to the Million RFA-7800, I searched their story. They had been designed by a scientist working in Roswell.
They are made from an Ununoctium* based alloy issued of alien spaceships. As Ununoctoum has the property to absorb stationary waves, it is used by aliens to move their saucers.
Hours of calculation on VAX machines were necessary to find the good diameter, as the first prototypes had the inconvenience to fly your living room.

*Ununoctium(AKA Era-radon) is an element having the atomic number 118 in the Mendeleev periodic table of elements. It does not exist in a natural form and must be synthesized. As its half life is very short, it must be alloyed with Unobtainium to be stabilized. The process require a large amount of energy, this justify the high price of the Million RFA-7800.

Last edited:
Of course, Telstar, there is useful input here. That is what I get from this website. The links are extremely valuable to me.
However, when I deal with my colleagues, I find it easier to get a fair appraisal of my efforts, and why I bother. Recently, it was a 'breath of fresh air' to have a colleague enthusiastic about one of my prototypes, rather than being made fun of, because I go to such lengths to do a design as well as I know how to do.

Baybee Quantum Purifiers are my favourite audio component of ALL time, its generated some of the most enjoyable discussions ever, and possibly some of the most far out beliefs.
As to military electronic design, it’s not the driving force it used to be back in the 70s-80s-early 90s, the money isn’t there anymore for one thing, and the days of bespoke mil std. chips are long gone. Most systems are built using standard devices often picked from Digikey, RS etc.This conference back in 2011 addressed the issues military contractors face:
IPC Conference Targets Critical Issues for the Military Market | IPC
As to cutting edge design etc. anything covered by restrictions would NEVER be allowed out in the public domain, though it does add some magic to the marketing blurb for some so called super-duper audio products to claim military/top secret heritage, which are effectively either common place components wrapped in an enigma or just plain tripe.
Tripe - Slang. something, especially speech or writing, that is false or worthless; rubbish.

I don't discount American engineers at all. I do however discount the MBAs and bean counters that pay their salaries. They will never allow GM to make a product of Porsche quality.
Do not confuse quality with performance. Quality is the ability to produce product which meets requirements.

We have often found that German/Swiss standards of mechanical perfection higher than typical American standards. That seems to come from early training and expectations.
However, when it comes to electronics, often the reverse is true, probably because we had so much early development in Silicon Valley and elsewhere, with military standards parallel to industrial and consumer because of the 'cold war'. Today, Germany might be caught up, being such a strong industrial society, where, I hope, engineers are still highly respected. I could be wrong about this, what do the rest of you think?
I am in total agreement with your statement.

I teach antique clock repair as a hobby. German and swiss movements are generally made to tighter tolerances with smaller and more delicate parts. American clocks (again, in general) were made with looser tolerances and things like lantern pinions to accomodate dust and dirt and still work. Time accuracy will of course reflect the precision of the parts, but how many homeowners require 1 or 2 second accuracies per week on the mantle.

All can be considered high quality, but the end use requirements are different. Many German and Swiss movements will gum up and freeze in a typical home after a few years of running in a dusty enviro whereas the american ones generally require a nuclear blast to stop them.

Audio is no different.

I was thinking about Ed Simon this past Sunday...:D

So Ed is the one who tripped over that cord, eh??

jn

After using both high speed German and Italian bottling lines, corking lines, and high speed printing equipment (there's some amazingly intricate mechanics involved), I can tell you that the stereotypes I held were totally off base- the Italian stuff was MUCH better and more reliable than German. In the cork biz, we used to refer to one particularly popular German brand as "The Widowmaker."

I'm not sure where the R&S equipment we have in our lab is made, but it works amazingly well and is incredibly difficult to use. I keep going back to Tek when I need a measurement NOW.

Back when I was designing analog tape recorder electronics, I chose Studer, because it was generally better than Ampex, mechanically. I virtually had to throw the Studer electronics away, but it was worth it.
Yet, I worked with precision mechanical systems at Ampex, myself, including 120ips instrumentation tape recorders for NASA, and prototype 2" video tape machines, as well as typical audio transports. Ampex COULD make great stuff, they just didn't always put it into their audio designs.

However, when I deal with my colleagues, I find it easier to get a fair appraisal of my efforts, and why I bother. Recently, it was a 'breath of fresh air' to have a colleague enthusiastic about one of my prototypes, rather than being made fun of ..

John, it's not THAT bad. Look how many people around the world try to copy your designs! As they saying goes: imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Or, look at this thread - it has the all time highest number of posts and highest number of hits! Isn't that also a form of appraisal?
As to the booers and naysayers - they're either jealous or are trolls. Just flip the "IGNORE" switch and life will be much better. ;)

I wish that I could, elektroj. However, thanks for the advice. I am fairly 'ground down' at this time, and I don't dare talk about what excites me personally in audio developments, today, as it will invariably start a critical put-down here. My colleagues think I am crazy to bother contributing here, but I 'trudge' on and I learn a bit, myself, especially from supplied links.

No quantum logic on the purifiers ..:)

What are bybee quantum purifiers actually doing , i notice spectron uses them and list them as an "upgrade" , will they make any amp better ?

"Super-Effect Bybee Purifiers
This upgrade is "complimentary" - it adds a different quality; the palpability, presence and 3D body that up to now only a tube amp, particularly SET could provide. The Super-Effect Bybee Purifiers are described in more detail by Bybee Technology (see Golden Goddess 'Super Effect' Speaker Bullets, MSRP: $4,200). The identical set of the Purifiers is now offered by Bybee in his power cord for $3,295 (read review). The main difference is that we install these filters between the transformer, and the diode bridges where their effect is maximum.

The Musician III Mk2

We are all serious about the subject. It is the traditional way we have to celebrate real inventors. They, usually, have to answer this way:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

2Q==

Last edited:
A. Wayne, if you are serious about this subject, you will not get the answer here.

It's inconvenient when you have to deal with people who actually put in the effort to do real, repeatable, and comprehensive measurements when they state a conclusion. Makes the storytelling more of a challenge, but that's what separates science from fashion.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
They're functionally identical to 30 milliohm resistors with steel leads. If that's an upgrade, then they're an upgrade.

Some one ought to make a competitive 'upgrade' product and submit it as new and improved to the same reviewers. .025 ohm R's with copper leads and Teflon sheething et al. How would it fare?

JC... send me a pair, pls.

Thx-RNMarsh

Status
Not open for further replies.