John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, you junior engineers out there, you might scope out the size, power rating, etc. of the resistor, no surplus parts in this example, please. Jack has not used surplus resistors for at least a decade, in this product, and they were .25-.3 ohms in value.

I'm not exactly junior, but I managed to find identically performing resistors (albeit without magnetic leads!) for 50 cents in onsey-twoseys. Not surplus, Digikey. Power rating is easy- 30 milliohms at the rated 4 amp max corresponds to less than 1/2 watt.

Now, you junior engineers out there, you might scope out the size, power rating, etc. of the resistor, no surplus parts in this example, please.

Now all you junior electronics engineers out there, if they manufactured television sets the way high end audio equipment manufacturers manufacture their products you'd have to take a second mortgage out on your house to buy one. They could hardly be less cost effective if they tried. This alone is reason to reject them especially considering that when viewed objectively by people who are not passionate but practical, they offer only marginal advantages at best over much cheaper alternatives....or that you could build them or their equivalents for a small fraction of what they sell for retail.

Soundminded, this is where you go astray. Jack could use a cheaper resistor, BUT it would not work as well for what he is doing, compared to what he is using. WHAT I am trying to point out is that the ONLY resistor ever shown, by a third party, to be in a Bybee Purifier is: Impossible to purchase, has an amazing power rating, and is well made.
This contradicts the presumption that ANY resistor could be easily used, just as effectively.
Now THIS resistor is used in the LARGER Bybee Purifier, NOT the smaller one, looked over, (not into) by people here. It has a HIGHER current rating, and therefore needs a resistor with a HIGHER power rating, in fact at least 5W. Check it out.
Now, the unit purchased by the moderators here, has NO obvious resistor. It MEASURES like a resistor, but it is NOT a resistor that you can buy, or easily copy. It's not cheap either. However this is all academic, because all of you are convinced that this is impossible, and the device must be whatever YOU THINK it is, so I will stop now.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Soundminded, this is where you go astray. Jack could use a cheaper resistor, BUT it would not work as well for what he is doing, compared to what he is using. WHAT I am trying to point out is that the ONLY resistor ever shown, by a third party, to be in a Bybee Purifier is: Impossible to purchase, has an amazing power rating, and is well made.
This contradicts the presumption that ANY resistor could be easily used, just as effectively.
Now THIS resistor is used in the LARGER Bybee Purifier, NOT the smaller one, looked over, (not into) by people here. It has a HIGHER current rating, and therefore needs a resistor with a HIGHER power rating, in fact at least 5W. Check it out.[snip].

Sorry John, but this is all a big load of nonsense. Even if the resistor is hard to get or expensive or high wattage, that doesn't mean it is required for the physical function.
So far, what has been proven is that the thing acts as a resistor. ANY resistor acts like a resistor, expensive or cheap. After all, that's why they are called 'resistor'.

jan didden

The single pulse is above the noise?

If there was a dead zone to overcome they would get nothing ever. You are talking about different issues with a complex mechanical system.

Scott,

Acoustical Society of America - A Pictorial Understanding of Organ Jet Physics is one of the studies of how sounding works in an organ pipe past the basic level that you seem so intent on following. It shows how the harmonics develop and mentions the off frequency start up mode until a non linear trigger level is reached. (I'll leave out the term of buckling mode since that is influenced by my structural engineer friends.)

A metal sphere does not have the same behavior as a resonant cavity. If you look hard enough at anything you will find differences.

Pavel,

Looking at the picture of the tube you posted, I noted the large mica washers and what looked like substantial amounts of metal. I doubt you will see anything past 100us, maybe even 25! If you want to get more of the tube coloration you will have to get floppier tubes! How dare you consider yourself an audio designer if you keep trying to produce undistorted uncolored products! :)

I have been thinking about your tone burst question and the next time I set up to measure tubes I will try and compare those results to the reverb decay method. I suspect it is just a question of sensitivity and of course you probably have never deliberately used devices which color the sound, so to you it is not a problem.

ES

Now THIS resistor is used in the LARGER Bybee Purifier, NOT the smaller one, looked over, (not into) by people here. It has a HIGHER current rating, and therefore needs a resistor with a HIGHER power rating, in fact at least 5W. Check it out.
Now, the unit purchased by the moderators here, has NO obvious resistor. It MEASURES like a resistor, but it is NOT a resistor that you can buy, or easily copy. It's not cheap either. However this is all academic, because all of you are convinced that this is impossible, and the device must be whatever YOU THINK it is, so I will stop now.

First of all, I was not referring to the magic jack in particular, I was referring to high end audio equipment in general. High end audio equipment strikes me as the only category of products in the electronics industry where over time you pay more and more to get less and less. (Small wonder it's become a niche market that's shrinking even in good times.) And then there isn't any plausible explanation of why it is worth more either demonstrating its superiority or even how it works better. All the sellers can say is trust me...or trust the reviews. I think all you really need is a friendly review in one of those hobbyist magazines. Like a good or bad review in a wine magazine, a review of a high end audio product can make or break it on the market. This is why I have to laugh at them. Every month it's a new best speaker, best amplifier, best cable in the world. Last months is already obsolete.

I've kept the theories behind my ideas relatively secret because I don't have anything to sell just now except my ideas. What are the excuses for those who have products on the market already. Today it is relatively easy to reverse engineer almost anything of real value. This was true for the longest time and even includes semiconductor chips. When I worked for one high tech compay, they broke down their suppliers' chips starting by removing the plastic case with a dentist's drill and then removed layer after layer of the semiconductor itself with glacial acetic acid. Then they examined them with an electron microscope and by other analytical tools. This wasn't to copy it, just to ascertain that it was of the quality they expected. What makes you think that if the magic jack was of any real value, the Chinese wouldn't have already offered a cut rate version of it for about $11 already?

ANY resistor acts like a resistor, expensive or cheap. After all, that's why they are called 'resistor'.

jan didden

Jan

Really? Boy have I been wasting my time!

And I though there were measurable differences between resistors. At first I imagined there were thermal induced issues at moderate power levels and some other interesting artifacts. Then when challenged about how claims were made at very low levels such as phono cartridge output voltages these issues could still be heard, I went and thought I found very very close to zero volts other issues popped up. I even was starting to believe that there was a correlation between resistors that had better results at high levels to the low level results.

Ah! So thanks Jan, I will stop wasting my time. Just a misperception. :)

Hope you have a good day.

ES

Yes, thanks Jan, I know also that the Bybee Purifier measures like a resistor, I have measurements from Jack Bybee, himself, showing this in greater detail than anything or anyone has shown here, up to now. I have measured the .3 ohms (old) and .025 ohms (new) myself, with a Kelvin connected HP 3478A multimeter, in fact, it is connected up that way right now with a Bybee device.
Now, when you have a resistor that YOU CAN'T BUY, that is rated above and beyond anything for its size in the catalog, but shown to come out of a Bybee by a third party, and an other purifier, never opened, now in Cal's possession, but if you tried to open it, the .025 ohm 'resistor' inside would not look like anything that you have ever seen, perhaps Jack Bybee is up to something more than putting a resistor in the line. Unfortunately this 'something' costs serious money to do, EVEN if it did 'nothing' at all.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have resistors, IC, and capacitors that nobody can buy! They're called 'obsolete' meaning that they either have no value anymore because there are better solutions for their use, or newer, better, more reliable components have been developed.
Should I put them in a small box, give them a 4-figure price and claim some unsubstantiated effect because 'nobody can buy them'? Even, as you say, they do nothing at all?
I've seen my share of audio humbug but this is the first time I see a claim of an effect based on the fact that a part isn't for sale.

jan didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jan

Really? Boy have I been wasting my time!

And I though there were measurable differences between resistors. At first I imagined there were thermal induced issues at moderate power levels and some other interesting artifacts. Then when challenged about how claims were made at very low levels such as phono cartridge output voltages these issues could still be heard, I went and thought I found very very close to zero volts other issues popped up. I even was starting to believe that there was a correlation between resistors that had better results at high levels to the low level results.

Ah! So thanks Jan, I will stop wasting my time. Just a misperception. :)

Hope you have a good day.

ES

Ed, don't make me feel bad, please. You should take my reply in the context of the post I was replying to. I know that different resistors measure different but that wasn't the issue in the exchange.

jan didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
[snip] When I worked for one high tech compay, they broke down their suppliers' chips starting by removing the plastic case with a dentist's drill and then removed layer after layer of the semiconductor itself with glacial acetic acid. Then they examined them with an electron microscope and by other analytical tools. [snip]

Srtill goes on today. I know a retired chip engineer who makes a comfortable living by doing just what you describe for semi manufacturers who want to know what the competition is up to.

jan didden

I would also like to correct a problem with the LEADS used in the cheapest (still expensive) Bybee devices. For the cheapest Bybee devices, Jack uses 'COPPERWELD' a military specified type of lead, with a steel wire center and a copper tube on the outside. This gives MOST of the advantages of copper, and the strength of steel for military applications that might be exposed to heavy vibration. The reason Jack uses Copperweld is to be able to weld, rather than solder the leads to the resistor material. Jack also sells silver and gold leaded versions of the same product, that are normally used by more 'uptown' clients. They are plainly shown on his website.
Now PERSONALLY, I would prefer pure copper leads, but then it depends what they are connected to. For example, film resistors might be more easily connected without welding, such as using soldering. Then, copper is OK, and really better. In any case, Pacific resistor typically uses COPPERWELD to make their products, as they tend to make products for the military, according to their website.
In any case, the leads should not be called copper as is printed on Jack's website, or steel, but COPPERWELD, which mostly acts like a copper tube.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.