John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to look no further than the medical/Pharma industry in this country.... DBT say all is good but when it gets out to very much larger numbers (the meta data) a very different picture sometimes emerges. And, it is That info which is considered to be more valid and important nor thrown out as not matching the results of the DBT. So, the DBT is an important first step, only.

THx-RNMarsh

I know this has been commented on, but it's really a very very very bad analogy to compare rct phase 3 trials and postmarketing surveillance with hard end points to dbt and unblinded public perception. One of these is very scientific, the other isn't at all( nor need it be, unless you do actually want to document public perception).

And, yes, the way trials are being done is evolving a lot as we develop good markers. Sounds pretty objective if you ask me.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
DBT tests/questions are not very accurate for a lot of audio related matters. IMO. It works often enough. But often enough it doesnt..... based on a larger - even less controlled - data base.... and That is the more important result.

IMO

That's kind of confusing. Either its data or opinion. You can't have both. And the stereophile review archive does not count for meta-analysis!

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I know this has been commented on, but it's really a very very very bad analogy to compare rct phase 3 trials and postmarketing surveillance with hard end points to dbt and unblinded public perception. One of these is very scientific, the other isn't at all( nor need it be, unless you do actually want to document public perception).

And, yes, the way trials are being done is evolving a lot as we develop good markers. Sounds pretty objective if you ask me.

Of course they are not exactly the same but the closest I can think of. If I think of a better conceptual way to convey the message, I will. Note that feedback from doctors and nurses, based on their experience, tests and customer feedback (opinion) isnt exactly rigorous science but it is accepted as real valid data [with appropriate filters and various adjustments for age, male/female etc etc etc] when collected.
. Often reversed decisions after a DBT has occurred only after mining a huge data base of such info. I accept it, too. And, something like mining that huge data base of audiophiles and average listeners is revealing of the truth as well. Without throwing out DBT, I add into it the huge amount of data... just as they do in other (pharma?) fields.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
. Often reversed decisions after a DBT has occurred only after mining a huge data base of such info. I accept it, too. And, something like mining that huge data base of audiophiles and average listeners is revealing of the truth as well. Without throwing out DBT, I add into it the huge amount of data... just as they do in other (pharma?) fields.

I've not heard of this done in any psychoacoustics research . Seen plenty of arts major reviewers get the wrong end of the stick on serious research a lot tho.

Your knowledge of pharma and methods of valid meta-analysis is staggering.

His (ostensible) misunderstanding that postmarketing surveillance is anecdotal and of metaanalysis is not unusual, even among well educated folk.

Rnmarsh-both need to be done very carefully and minimizing all reasonable errors. Not that many metaanalysis do... they're fraught with interpretation biases and normalizing errors.

Ok and with Peeking ...... if you knew which had 480 and which had 720 and 1080 and 4K and 8K..... and you looked at each of them and said you could see a difference and further that you could tell which one was more accurate picture.... greater detail and more accurate colors, etc, would that viewer be wrong because he peeked?

THx-RNMarsh

Right/wrong is not the point as I have said repeatedly the upscaling engine on many 4K TV's looks worse to me than the same program material at HD. Is it so hard to do these things without knowing ahead, is chancing a mistake so threatening? If you're in JC's posse do you agree with his frequent statement that when he does not peek the differences often disappear?

Photometrically no TV has really accurate colors. In fact it's even better than tone controls in audio, take 10 identical TV's and ask 10 video-philes to adjust them to their taste IME no two would be alike.

Last edited:
Does it have to be in a bathroom to worry about ground currents? I do not know if code will eventually require GFCI's throughout the house, but I do know the number is based on what does NOT trip a GFCI.

We had to fight with an electrician to install them in our grandchildren's bedrooms. One actually thought because it was not required it was against code.

Don't the GFI outlets also trip from over current? I have a kid who has discovered an old percolater coffee pot in the house and it has been tripping the GFI occasionally . It only has a two prong plug, no ground pin so I figured that had to be from pulling to much current as there is also a small TV in the kitchen on the same wall outlet.

Don't the GFI outlets also trip from over current? I have a kid who has discovered an old percolater coffee pot in the house and it has been tripping the GFI occasionally . It only has a two prong plug, no ground pin so I figured that had to be from pulling to much current as there is also a small TV in the kitchen on the same wall outlet.

They are not suppose to. But they go bad all the time in kitchens, simply because it'll drive a person mad thinking there's actually something wrong other than a cheap piece of **** is failing. I'll feel lucky if in my life time I see a GFCI trip when it should, instead of shouldn't.

There are GFCI outlets that may be daisy chained to as many as five other outlets. There are GFCI circuit breakers. A 20 amp breaker may be split to two 15 amp outlets. But a 30 amp breaker cannot be split and must go to a 30 amp outlet.

There are also arc interrupting circuit breakers that are used for sleeping areas.

It has become rare to have a plain circuit breaker set of outlets in a residence.

They are primarily used for heavy fix loads like a water heater, range or clothes dryer.

Status
Not open for further replies.