John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are discussing ground loop cause and prevention AND ac line line noise filtering. Multi-tasking going on.
UL takes into consideration of faults in wiring and equipment. Thus GFI, fuses etc. And, there may be situations in their mind where you become a better return path than the existing paths. So, you need to heed their limits (and IEEE).

-RNM
Weird, the quote function adds the multitask statement, it's not visible in the orig post.

I take it you are saying that the filter should not push more than 4mA into the grounding conductor in any case, as there is a possibility that grounding is lost, like breaking off the ground pin of the plug.

That is a reasonable thing to worry about.

John

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
It's been difficult to follow, I will admit. But the his last post referred to audio and I think, filters acros the line.

Typical line filters do run some current to ground, and 4mA is the limit due to unwanted trips in GFCI's. But a filter sending current into a three prong cord can push amperes with no danger to humans unless the ground bond is broken.

That's why I didn't understand the link to human electrocution limits..
John

Yes. and see 81438 above. we were out of sync...

comment?

-RM

Last edited:
That would depend on the DA converters used, and not software if one only DA chip is used.
Most consumer CD players used multiplexed DA converters.

No, the data to/from converters was in a queue, arranged L,R,L,R.... Microcontroller code is what shuffles it between converters an the USB stream, start at the wrong channel or position and you're one sample out of synch.

Right

Even though a 100 out of a 100 will experience a marked difference between 480 and 4K. We cant trust that because we peeked.

What's wrong with this picture?

You can't trust the result on just the basis of that test. The conclusion made can certainly be correct, but the test didn't isolate it from possible other factors. If a hundred out of a hundred astrologers predict the sun will rise tomorrow, the sun will rise but the astrologers have zilch to do with it.

You need to look no further than the medical/Pharma industry in this country.... DBT say all is good but when it gets out to very much larger numbers (the meta data) a very different picture sometimes emerges. And, it is That info which is considered to be more valid and important nor thrown out as not matching the results of the DBT. So, the DBT is an important first step, only.

Can I have some? Total logical fallacy, diversion, plus a big fat red herring.

Yes. and see 81438 above. we were out of sync...

comment?

-RM

Yes. It's a tad more complex only in that it must be capable of sourcing 4mA at a level greater than 50 volts (the currently assumed danger level). Being capable of delivering 4mA to bonding conductor is not in itself lethal if the voltage isn't there for a human body model.

Delivering more than 4mA to the bonding conductor will definitely trip GFCI's, as it should be of course.

John

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
You can't trust the result on just the basis of that test. The conclusion made can certainly be correct, but the test didn't isolate it from possible other factors. If a hundred out of a hundred astrologers predict the sun will rise tomorrow, the sun will rise but the astrologers have zilch to do with it.

Questions of Like or Predictions is a different condition/question. You need to ask the question better so that there is little room for bias or guessing.

-RNM

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I don't know if the misuse of the concept of meta-analysis is deliberate or ignorant.

All of the above IYO. Here we go again... going for debating points. Going for points on choice of descriptors, spelling mistakes etc etc.

DBT tests/questions are not very accurate for a lot of audio related matters. IMO. It works often enough. But often enough it doesnt..... based on a larger - even less controlled - data base.... and That is the more important result.

IMO

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
.... arent we talking about 120/220vac systems?

-RM
Apply a load line to the problem.

4mA sourced to ground from 120v is 2 mA sourced at 60 volts.

For all the electrical safety being pushed around here (my work), they specify 50 volts as the threshold.

NEC also requires the bonding conductor limit the energized surface to 50 volts max as well.

So if I specify 4mA at a presumably lethal level of 50 volts, that means I've sourced 4 mA from 70 volts. or 17.5 Kohms. That will deliver 6.8 mA to ground.

If I have a Y filter with two identical caps to ground, one from hot, one from neutral, the open voltage will be 60 volts, so it will only source 10 volts with double capacitance from 60 volts to 50 volts.

John

Is your stereo in your bathroom? or kitchen?

Does it have to be in a bathroom to worry about ground currents? I do not know if code will eventually require GFCI's throughout the house, but I do know the number is based on what does NOT trip a GFCI. They used to be required to NOT trip at 4 mA, and absolutely trip at 6 mA. I believe the deadband was for manufacturing tolerances.

I live in an old village, many of the houses still have steam radiators. So far, I've not seen PEX runs for steam heat, although many newer baseboard installs are starting to use it. I understand it's good to 100 psi at 180F (IIRC), baseboards run 15 to 30 and at about 160F.

I recall the days of the 5 tube radio, and the steam radiators.. Man, that hurt..

John

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
What if we remove artifacts of recording and it sounded better ---- With the powerful DSP we have, maybe someone will soon develop algorithms to remove the audible group-delay caused by the digital recording/playback process. An algor for a particular popular recorder, too. Or even a complete record/play system.

Oh, someone just did that. Bet you a dollar MQA is there.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.