John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, I still think there is an economic incentive to make HD content look
substandard and in any case I have absolutely zero interest in 3D. Lasers will never touch my eyes.

Economic incentive. LCD TV market is saturated, margins falling of the cliff.

Only way to revive this market is to offer something really obviously better. OLED displays are it.

Even very best LCD TVs can't match them. Better colours, better contrasts (real black), better refresh rate, better viewing angle.

Apparently LG is getting good production yields now and is dropping price steadily.

Anyway, whatever viewing format you go for make sure you look at OLED carefully.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005

Only way to revive this market is to offer something really obviously better. OLED displays are it.

Even very best LCD TVs can't match them. Better colours, better contrasts (real black), better refresh rate, better viewing angle.

Apparently LG is getting good production yields now and is dropping price steadily.

Anyway, whatever viewing format you go for make sure you look at OLED carefully.
What's the word on expected lifetime?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
You got it, I'm just a Luddite.

I have seen a number of 4K TV's. they can look great BUT look at moving images. (Avoid the Seiki's, they are worse than the cheap 1080p TV's on everything) You don't watch TV for still images. many of the motion artifacts that were subtle on NTSC and and pretty easy to overlook in 1080P are really hard to miss on 4K. The images that will show the issues (spoiler alert) are zooms, these change every pixel on every frame and demand the most bandwidth, moving objects like wheels going past, again lots of pixels change and moving fields like the classic flag demo. I saw all these failures on new displays at CES. The smart booths ran essentially still or slow moving images.

Its nice to see the displays promoting 4K 60 Hz HDR, which all require new hardware from the camera through to the display. Oppo doesn't have a UHD Blueray player yet so Richard gets to buy an new player, and possibly a new display. The first are expected to ship in March with a handful of disks for the first year. HDR is a neat feature that will require more skill in production (its kind of like Ansel Adams Zone System for digital images) so don't expect a lot soon.

I found Comcast's video quality considerably worse than the OTA broadcast versions of the same sources. The cable companies recompress the signals and merge many more channels into the same streams so its not surprising its worse. I only use Comcast for Internet access now. I suspect some of the new 4K stuff will be like hi resolution audio over lossy Bluetooth. An empty promise with no real value beyond marketing.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
I have a large antenna array for over-the-air digital and analog broadcasts... Plus Comcast fiber-optic lines and I pay for extra BW. Buying extra BW from Comcast is a must-do for streaming HD. SMART 4K in Bangkok loft and their uncompressed signals..... so I have a lot of video sources to compare to.... plus the Blue Ray disk players. 3D has got a lot better starting with Avatar movie to the present. The 3D is better from my system (Samsung) than at iMAX theater. Motion artifacts have been reduced over time as well. But further improvement is needed. I will look at OLED for upgrade in California. It just keeps getting better.

Even with a very good 1080 system you can tell when the recording camera is using zoom and when it isnt as you watch a movie and the rez changes visibly during the movie scene changes. That just means better recording technique/camera use skills are needed. The playback systems are quit capable of showing the changes in rez. They might need to record in much higher rez so that a zoom is still high rez and sharp.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
This a Joke? That article is over 4 years old. Since then a fault was found with the equipment, the speed of light remains unbroken and someone lost his job.

there is an article in Electronics and Wireless World,

(late 80's/early 90's)

where a microwave signal was run through a block of metal,

(may have been aluminum),

where the signal exited through the metal,

at a speed of 1.7 times the speed of light.

also notable, as the signal had left the block of metal,

before it had even finished entering the block of metal.

Home

`````````````````

I weigh 250lb at the moment,

gain another 400lb, and you could get your own tv show ...

OLED still suffers from a number of problems although they are getting better. LG's TVs use white OLEDs with color filters because the blue OLED degrades much faster than red or green. Samsung is using RGB OLEDs but hasn't solved this problem. Burn-in is still a problem with OLED displays as well (don't believe me? go look at a Samsung Galaxy S6 demo phone in a store). They have true blacks but they can't get as bright as a good LCD yet. That might be an issue for HDR content eventually or use in bright rooms. Uniformity and all sorts of color "push" issues are common on phone OLEDs although I will say those are Samsung parts not LG parts so I can't speak to how LG QC is.

I think we'll see some LCD TVs with very fancy backlight technology that will rival OLED for quite some time.

Opinions and "sounds like" do not sound definitive but rather very relative to each individual observer. Which is actually OK, there are 100's of folks that wouldn't part with their SET's and 100+dB efficient horns and their opinion that this is how good it gets is perfectly valid to me.

On another topic I'm moving to a new venue and all the 4K TV's I've looked at make normal HD look like s**t, considering there is virtually no 4K content that I'm interested in are there any options?

I just got my LG 4K OLED. Money well spent.

4K does add something even to regular HD, but OLED is a quantum leap. Plus, Netflix has 4K content available.

I just got my LG 4K OLED. Money well spent.

4K does add something even to regular HD, but OLED is a quantum leap. Plus, Netflix has 4K content available.

OK, OK haven't checked out OLED yet. The demos were all LED the last at a computer store. The sales help agreed the up-sampling from HD had an obnoxious paint by number effect and didn't know if there were adjustments for it. Being a painter I have learned my preferred colour palette is somewhat skewed from most people.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Every HD demo I have seen in the stores does my head in. Firstly the special demo scenes are so horrendously over saturated it's unreal. Secondly as they are more slowly moving photos they have used F32 for everything and you have no idea what you are supposed to focus on. Would like to see how they look when calibrated an in a suitably darkened room rather than the costco sales floor.

I have the usual for men mild red/green issue with colour so I cannot tell what is right, only what is wrong and the women in the house with perfect colour vision give not a hoot. I guess that is a win win for avoiding expenditure :)

One nice thing of the OLED screen is that the colours are much less overdone than on the high end LCD's. Pretty realistic I think.

That would be good. In the CRT days the expense of certain rare earth phosphors mattered, I don't know if there is any cost issue now. There is a wide latitude for exact R, G, and B spectra and exact color space matching is different for each.

What's the word on expected lifetime?
Well, a marginal technological question, both with the constant improvement of technology and planned obsolescence (changes in Standards).
OLED, (or any future LED sources) are obviously better for 3 important reasons. First, they can be totally black, second, they don't suffer from any inertia, third, they can emit light in 180°.
I still bought classical liquid crystals based screen for my last TV set, for a question of money and context. OLED screens are still very expensive (Why ?), I was bored to wait for them so long, and, Oh Lord, I will not make a comment about the quality (both technological and artistical) of the TV programs.

This said, I'm really impressed by the progress we had made on still or moving images, when I compare my Sony A7 SLR with the first Sony digital professional cameras (1982 Betacams).

Everybody can have, at an affordable price for an occidental, a movie theater at home better than any old cinemascope theater, and produce his own images in this quality as well.

A photo from yesterday (While the lens was a Konica hexanon 21mm F/2.8 probably build before 1980):

Attachments

• hivernal.jpg
    hivernal.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
One nice thing of the OLED screen is that the colours are much less overdone than on the high end LCD's. Pretty realistic I think.

Agreed.

My current HDTV is a Mitsubishi DLP which also make most SD LCD's appear to my eyes to be very unnatural and cartoon-like.

For one thing, with DLP all the pixels are the right color.

However, 4K LCDs in general seem to have far less of this fault.

I do have a 4K 27" IPS PC monitor and frankly it does not look that much different then the 2K IPS 27" on a neighboring PC.

I suspect that it is the improved display technology, not the increase in pixels that makes the big difference. Many if not most commercial theaters now are based on DLP projectors in a 2K format. You have to sit literally on top of the screen to see the pixelization.

BTW I've had a portable digital player with a small OLED display for a number of years and have been waiting for that technology to grow up, as it seems to have finally done so.

New technology comes with new break down modes. For me, that is not a valid reason not to enjoy the best (while it lasts).

Some nice techno-speak on OLED. Unfortunately the chance of getting a TV >$700 into my household is nil. It's moral and affordability doesn't matter at all. Oh forgot if it's not from COSTCO no way either. :)

LG OLED TV Display Technology Shoot-Out

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
Most of the comments here sound like the video was not calibrated. TV are set up for retail display in mind...... you can tell a lot by using test equipment to adjust B&W&color and levels. After awhile you know what a calibrated set is supposed to look like.

I went into Magnolia HiFi years ago and set their best display by eye and it was so good... greater details appeared, dynamic contrasts increased etc etc that the set became the Go-To display for sales to show customers.

I have started color cal adjust since CRT days and was trained by Joe Kane. Ask the dealer to see a set which has been calibrated and see what happens. ;-) You really dont know much from what you see in the show room with factory settings. If you dont see a calibrated set or do not cal it yourself, you might be better off going by reviews which do calib first before watching and reviewing.

THx-RNMarsh

Status
Not open for further replies.