John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not handing the technology off to the Asian sources who would soon compromise the technology.

I've shared cups of espresso and Egyptian cigarettes (goldplated filter at 10 bucks each, is cooler) with royalty from Qatar, to name one ornate example.

I seriously doubt any made in Thailand amplifier over 10 grand will sell in Europe and/or North America.
A Chinese wonnabee who drives a Geely fake RR may take one.
Over a million bucks and a real car, and he will settle for no less than Made in the wild and wilder West. (not even Japan...or certainly not)

Your (U)HNWI mileage may vary.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I think you need to experience driving a Bentley rather than judge by its looks. Try the W12, twin-turbo. The feeling is so smooth and the transmission... you never know it is shifting gears for you. You cant feel it or hear it. It is fine art against just art.

Sadly though its a pendulum. Front engined, unlike the mid engined aston martins so its always trying to understeer and requires a bucket of CPUs to actually get it round a corner. What's artful about a fundamentally compromised weight distribution?

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Bonsai,
You could buy two of the Corvettes for the cost of one of any of the others unless you demand the Z07. I don't think you have driven one of the newer ones, they are definitely not a 1970 piece of junk anymore, those days are long gone. That is a first class car that will stand up to any other car in the world, don't discount American made and designed cars today, that is a mistake.

Jacco,
I guess it is the same here, I could have 6 Corvettes in different colors for the price of one nice Ferrari and I wouldn't need the mechanic to go with it. So I guess the sales price of a Corvette in Europe is just stupid, how much is the VAT I don't know but they are everywhere around here today. It is a very nice looking car, it could even be confused with an Italian designed car!

At least in audio we have a goal that many of us want to attain, as true to live music as possible, but that doesn't require you to spend mega bucks on some silly stuff that takes a 5 ton air conditioner to keep the room cool, I can only imagine the heat coming off that class A amp you showed, not practical in the least. So you add an air conditioner and that low background noise level you talked about earlier is taken away with the noise of the air conditioner, reality bites!

I had the class A Genesis Stealth (and central air to compensate).

Now I have the same wattage in AB , bit more headroom (no A/C needed).
Same "silky" sound , but minus 1KVA of toroid getting turned into a
room heater.

Turn-on thumps , DC offsets , heat - all things of the past. I'm not impressed
with some of the so call "hi-end" ... selling anything short of cool , quiet ,
PPM amplification.

As far as making the "hordes" appreciate what we do here , every THx
buff out there is quite blown away by my system ... but they want
to spend <300$ to make it happen.

I'm building my 12" 3-ways soon - just my 250W stereo amp and a pair
of speakers that can handle ALL of it. 1K$$ to build it ... most want all
this for that Walmart price and will tolerate 60% of my SQ and dynamics.

So far , the best by far I have ever heard is my amp with paradigm tower speakers.
Nothing else has even come close (except reality).

OS

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Jacco,
I guess it is the same here, I could have 6 Corvettes in different colors for the price of one nice Ferrari and I wouldn't need the mechanic to go with it. So I guess the sales price of a Corvette in Europe is just stupid, how much is the VAT I don't know but they are everywhere around here today. It is a very nice looking car, it could even be confused with an Italian designed car!

Speaking of Ferraris, was chatting with a client today who has worked on cars a lot. He told me the story of setting timing with the hood up, noting the advance with a strobe under the car. Then he closed the hood. The setting changed a lot! So it would pass emissions (barely) with the hood up. Not so with the hood down.

So they have been cheating for years.

I have a 1966 valve power amp. One day will get some ESL-57s to go with it to go in the study, if I ever get a study again...
Mine is from 1963.

My point was more about keeping sota and the masses separate (they very rarely go together) and putting things in the perspective of today.
Audio equipment isn't like a VCR, where it sits by the TV and does the same function for everyone. There is a greater variety in the utilization and personalization, even among the audiophile subgroup only. IOW, a difficult market.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
sofaspud;4477200 IOW said:
Yup. Up until about 1980 starting a hifi company out of uni was a good idea, and many of the UK cottage industry types did that. But few of them are left now other than names as part of the two or three audioBORG companies.

Much better to get a job somewhere else in industry and play hifi as a hobby!

Trying to think who has survived over the decades in terms of the same company they set up.

Musical fidelity
EAR
Pass labs (although still quite young)
Croft (but too oddball to really worry about)
DMN (even more oddball)
VTL/manley labs (the audio version of Dallas without the hats)
???

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Bonsai,
You could buy two of the Corvettes for the cost of one of any of the others unless you demand the Z07. I don't think you have driven one of the newer ones, they are definitely not a 1970 piece of junk anymore, those days are long gone. That is a first class car that will stand up to any other car in the world, don't discount American made and designed cars today, that is a mistake.

Hey, c'mon - I mentioned them along with the Italian jobs and I even threw in a German one for good measure!

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Yup. Up until about 1980 starting a hifi company out of uni was a good idea, and many of the UK cottage industry types did that. But few of them are left now other than names as part of the two or three audioBORG companies.

Much better to get a job somewhere else in industry and play hifi as a hobby!

Trying to think who has survived over the decades in terms of the same company they set up.

Musical fidelity
EAR
Pass labs (although still quite young)
Croft (but too oddball to really worry about)
DMN (even more oddball)
VTL/manley labs (the audio version of Dallas without the hats)
???
I am likely to be part of an audio venture, initially just as a consultant. But the guy behind it apparently commands some respect, as he was already contacted by one of aforementioned BORG.

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.