John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Fine, that is you choice.

But what about others who want to take a £5 capsule and make a very decent mike out of it. Or just make a commercial mike much better. As well as Scott's articles a quick google finds

https://www.by-rutgers.nl/ME6211-PRO37R.html who uses a £100 sennheiser and similar price AT unit.
and
System Test

Would it not be fun to get those up to the level of your preferred 'expensive devices'?

Remember you are the one generally telling us to be open minded :p

That guy's comments don't amuse me. Did he bother to read part 2? 5 or six OPA-134's external dual high voltage supplies to do what can be done with one op-amp and one JFET for 100 hr. on a single 9V battery and better on any spec that matters.

I don't understand why you aren't amused. Can we start with the most humorous error and go on from that?

"In former days, before the electret had been invented in the late sixties, dynamic microphones had been used in low-priced applications."

Well the electret occurs naturally. Heaviside coined the term. But the first large scale use of the man made ones for microphones were made of carnauba wax and used by the Japanese for their radios during WWII.

So as usual we disagree, I find his comments quite amusing...

I did consider posting a note to warn you! It has made me want to get those issues to read your approach. For me the interesting part was the attached snippets that showed what you could do with $5 capsules.

Has definately added another project to the (growing list).

The article surveys as many ways as space permitted. I would recommend the one we used at SY's. Very easy to build, one FET, one op-amp, total GNF (sorry) can achieve 10 dBA noise with a decent 16mm capsule like the Primo mentioned in the article.

I took that mic and a Rode (5dBA) mic out onto an island at 4AM and could not resolve a difference in the noise floor free field. I took a "break" about 50yds away from the mics and it was easily heard. :)

Well the electret occurs naturally. Heaviside coined the term. But the first large scale use of the man made ones for microphones were made of carnauba wax and used by the Japanese for their radios during WWII.

After years the Wiki is still wrong, Bogen was actually selling these before WWII.

W. A. Bruno, W. S. Patent 2,284,039 (26 May 1942; filed
16 July 1940).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.