John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somehow I don't think we are still at the basic experimental stage with aircraft like the days of the Wright Brother's. Fluid dynamics and so many other things are very well understood today. Now that doesn't mean you can't come up with anything new, of course you can change the placement of the wing, add or remove the number of engines and other things. Why not dimple the surface like a golf ball, I think it has been discussed but I imagine that the manufacturing of a dimpled skin would be a real pain in the rear. Nobody is just guessing anymore, those days are long since gone.

As I said I do have silver speaker wires from Kimber, they sound exactly the same as the copper version of the wire. Just because you can get fifty or even a hundred people to believe there is a difference does not make it true. I'm sure there are still plenty of people who want to believe that the world is only a few thousand years old, you can get plenty of agreement on that based on religion, doesn't make it any more true because you can get buy-in.

Do I blindly believe everything that I am taught, H*ll no, but that doesn't mean the information is in-correct, but I may not understand how it works. I am working with a client and I had to look away at one of the other clients when one of them made the statement that light was bending around a candle, what was I going to say. Now if you want to believe that you can bend light go ahead an prove it. I didn't have a pocket full of gravity to actually make that happen so I will go with the physics and say that generally light travels in a straight line, just not around something as powerful as a Sun!

Last edited:
Christophe,
I don't think any sane person would say we know everything there is to know, we are still learning all the time. That doesn't mean that many things are not settled at a basic level for many things in science. Who knows what will be found at the sub-atomic level with the collider now that it is back up and running? But I don't think anyone is going to disprove the accelaration due to gravity or change the fact that things roll down hill.

I doubt highly that you would believe that a yellow car runs faster because it is yellow.
Everyone knows Ferrari Red is the fastest color for a car! :D

Last edited:
....I have examples of teflon covered silver plated cable that sounds LOUSY!!! What a disappointment. I use it still for test equipment interconnection.
Same experience here.
I had some Apogee IC cable that I bought on recommendation.
I found it to sound lousy, so removed the aluminum foil shielding....still lousy, but different.
I then stripped the strands out of the cable assy and made new IC cables with some of the strands.

Still sounded rotten/irritating, so I removed the very thin teflon sleeves covering the strands and these ICs then became the best I have heard.
The conductors were 0.8mm or so of very high purity copper with silver plating, and claims of very high surface finish due to highly polished dies....so the blurb said.

Dan.

Christophe,
I don't think any sane person would say we know everything there is to know, we are still learning all the time.
That doesn't mean that many things are not settled at a basic level for many things in science. Who knows what
will be found at the sub-atomic level with the collider now that it is back up and running? But I don't think anyone
is going to disprove the accelaration due to gravity or change the fact that things roll down hill.

All known scientific theories are effective theories, and lack an unshakable truth as a basis.
Even in mathematics, Kurt Godel showed the incompleteness of our best efforts.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Stuart,
Straight out of an All American Five?
Most likely for tuning an antenna at that size, unless someone is trying to get WWV at 60 KHz maybe! Maybe an early kinetic weapon from the size of that coil.

Hi Steve,
How many RIAA networks are there in a whole system? Might want to read what he actually wrote again.
Depends on whose system. You could make a case for three for a multi-tonearm table example.

To throw an answer Richards way, ask for how many rumble and scratch filters, tone controls, loudness, RF filters and the like. Still, other things would surely swamp the effects of a little DA.

-Chris

I found it to sound lousy, so removed the aluminum foil shielding....still lousy, but different. I then stripped the strands out of the cable assy and made new IC cables with some of the strands.

Still sounded rotten/irritating, so I removed the very thin teflon sleeves covering the strands and these ICs then became the best I have heard.

Be careful not to forget the "break-in"/"burn-in" phenomenon (the cable itself or the other component in the chain). You might have done nothing to the sound.

The conductors were 0.8mm or so of very high purity copper with silver plating, and claims of very high surface finish due to highly polished dies....so the blurb said.

Dan.
You see how simple it is, :) ... . You keep "listening" to what other people are saying, and perceptively read between the lines - the data is accumulating that the combination of teflon and silver is 'bad' - it's the behaviour of two materials which are in contact with each other that's key ... ;)

Rayma,
I agree that we make mistakes and even misapply many things we think we know. Are there mistakes in mathematics, surely I would think so, but at the same time the basic functions are well known and understood. 2+2=4 isn't going to change even if that is a lousy way to state that. Can we add to our understanding and expand what we know and where to apply it correctly, yes of course.

I stay out of almost all of the technical electronic discussions as I just don't have that background or education to add to the conversation. Wish I had gone and done the calculus but I am sorry I never got that far. Doesn't mean I don't still try and learn more all the time and math is an area I will constantly try to improve my knowledge. I'm lucky that I can just turn to my brother and he can do a calculus problem for me, or he will even have to think of a way to answer a question to something I am doing that hasn't been done before. I am in the middle of developing a product for some clients that involved light and lenses, an area I never worked in before. I did some studying and came up with a solution to a problem that they created by driving design over function, they pushed the design into a corner and I had to come up with a solution. My design will now be patented as what I was forced to create has not been done before in the application I am working on. A strange compound lens to solve what should never have been a problem. I'll get my mane on a new patent and it isn't anything I would have even thought about 6 months ago.

I for one will never think I know it all or even enough. I want to know more, but I don't want to fall for myth or just plainly silly statements. I could just pay someone to do all my electrical designs but I really do want to understand at least basically what they are doing and why. There are enough really bright or even exceptional people on this thread that it is worth having to wade through the BS, but it would be nice if after we spend a month or weeks getting to the bottom of a problem that the misinformation isn't regurgitated months later.

And personally I wish the personal vindictiveness would just end, but that seems to be a battle of personalities that I have no control over. Bright minds attacking bright minds just seems to be such a waste of time and energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.