John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, normally, silver is BRIGHT sounding, electroplated silver over copper is at least as bright.
OTOH this is telling me something - that it's silver as a material, rather than a conductor, that's having an effect. I've never played with silver as a linking mechanism, but other conductors, obviously talking copper here, may also have issues - material interactions have been the hardest behaviour to come to terms with, because the literature is of little help!

My suspicion is that the tarnishing of the silver is key, that there would be a correlation between the "purity" of the surface of the metal - and in this case, for best sound, the metal needs to develop a "dirty" surface - clean silver is causing a distortion mechanism to come into play.

Because, I have encountered these behaviours in real life, is the simple answer. I struggled with changes in quality occurring, at first seeming at random, and then a pattern started to emerge; under certain conditions the quality would be better, and if those conditions were reversed the quality worsened. Over a period of time, I developed a series of procedures which ensured these aspects remained under control - I can't explain the overall mechanism at a level such that, say, SY would be comfortable with - but I do know that if I ignore these considerations then I will never get optimum sound.

In essence it's a spin-off from triboelectric behaviours - I deal with materials in the same way that someone who had conventional, engineering issues with such mechanisms would; this type of handling of it gives me positive results.

Frank, IIRC you have some engineering background (software?), so how do you keep a straight face looking yourself in the mirror when spouting such breathtakingly idiotic drivel?
Shame on you, sir.
Whatever you think about this subject, do you think this is a *gentleman* way to express publicly your *own* opinion ? (that i may share, on this matter)
Don't you think good education and respect of others are more important than anything related to this Hifi hobby ?
"Shame on you, sir."

This said, two questions. First, is there anything related with the 'metal' used as a conductor in a wire, apart its resistivity (linear ?), witch can explain any change in sound reproduction. Second, any change in the physical composition of this wire that can happen after "burn-in" ?

Last edited:
Scott,
I do remember you putting up all the reasons that this is just not true about silver vs copper. It just seems that those few who want to just keep bringing it back up like we all forget what was said and done before. Revisionist thinking over and over, never seeming to want to believe in the science of what you have so thoroughly demonstrated to be true. I am so glad these people never worked in a critical application like aerospace or even medical electronics, we would be in deep trouble.

All I know is what I have heard. I seldom use silver today, because I can't get the 'BEAR' wire anymore, BUT if I could, I would use it for internal interconnects, at the very least! It is NOT because of silver sulfide. A new silver cable sounds worse, a long used silver cable sounds better, even IF it is not deliberately broken in from the first.
I have examples of teflon covered silver plated cable that sounds LOUSY!!! What a disappointment. I use it still for test equipment interconnection. I thought I had found the 'perfect' wire while borrowing knowledge from LBL for a high voltage optics gate.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
SE,
I agree we do need someone like Scott who so cogently presents the facts.

If it was like this in aerospace we would see planes with feathers as we all know that bird are so much better at flying and that would be so organic and and of course better than any man made materials! :( :headbash:

Planes of a feather do flock together. Likes attract, although this rule of thumb doesn't seem to work well for charged particles.

What it should be about is thinking, Hmmm ... a whole lot of people who use silver are relating similar stories about what they hear - so there is something there that bears investigating. Just resorting to conventional theory, and arguing why it can't possibly do anything, is not very intelligent, in my world. Investigate it oneself, with an open mind, do sufficient, well controlled experiments to determine if there is anything in it, and proceed from there. Personally, I have zero interest in the subject, my aim is to eliminate anything that adds distortion to the mix, so I would quickly develop a decent, always satisfactory, always successful solution and then forget about it ...

Planes of a feather do flock together. Likes attract, although this rule of thumb doesn't seem to work well for charged particles.
gets interesting when you let some charges move though - an electron beam will dive towards a wire carrying current having electrons in the wire moving in the same direction

http://www.physics2000.com/PDF/Text/Ch_28_MAGNETISM.pdf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.