John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK one last question (be honest now) have you ever been really screwed by mixing up European vs US dates, like buying a plane ticket for 5/6/1989 and showing up on May 6th.

Not quite that, but I have had some problems with computer locales, because it affects how they return dates and times. It's a nightmare, actually, calendar arithmetic, reconciliation of timezones.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
OK one last question (be honest now) have you ever been really screwed by mixing up European vs US dates, like buying a plane ticket for 5/6/1989 and showing up on May 6th.

I did just that the past return trip back to Calif. I showed up at airport overseas to leave and it had left the day before.... [but they put me on that days flight anyway as there was space available]. My ride had no idea i would be 24 hours late into San Fransisco and had to find a hotel when he finally learned I wasnt on the flight. It can get pretty nuts going back and forth and all around.

-RM

Numeric dates are crazy, there is no standard. Unless a form/ticket/statement specifically labels the date format (eg., YYYY/mm/dd), it should use words or abbreviations. If one says "May 6th" it is unambiguous and will never be confused with "Jun 5th". You may say "European vs US dates", but I say "no such thing"; from what I have seen, there are no real standards on either side of the pond, not even local conventions. I see this at work all the time, users supply a date in a bad format to a stored procedure and stuff breaks. One tool used at work allows adding a date stamp to a file name, and the format can be chosen from yyyymmdd, yyyyddmm, ddmmyyyy, mmddyyyy, yymmdd, ddmmyy, mmddyy, yyddmm, and you can also add the time with some additional options. (Oh, and is that the current date/time or the date/time of the report?)

Don't even get me started on time zones or the abomination called "Daylight Savings".

nezbleu said:
If one says "May 6th" it is unambiguous and will never be confused with "Jun 5th".
Although in Britain we would write "6th May" or "5th June", which we pronounce as "the sixth of May" or "the fifth of June".

Our way of doing it has the merit of keeping units in size order: day, month, year. Strangely, we all agree to say/write times in the opposite order: hour, minute, second.

I guess the other way of doing it has the merit of keeping units in the order you would write them in prose and say them: month, day, year.

When making filenames from dates the order ought to be yymmdd, so sorting can occur. I often don't do this, though, as I don't naturally think backwards!

Why do I smell Jack Bybee?

se

Perhaps frauds all smell the same?
For those who want to know the mechanics behind it, the explanation is that the Quantum Monitor™ filter/conditioner uses a quantum force field technology, known as Coherence Technology to neutralize an inaudible noise inherent in man-made electricity. According to quantum mechanics, the closer we come to the quantum mechanical reality of life, the greater the order and energy we find. The further we move away, the more friction is encountered resulting in distortion and loss of information and energy. When the Quantum unit is plugged into your monitor and to the power outlet, the electricity flows from the power outlet into Your computer monitor and is conditioned by the Quantum Monitor™ filter/conditioner

They claim that these miracles were invented in Iowa. That should instill confidence in you.

“...I instantly noticed more clarity in voice and tone and a “feeling of clear space” as if the person I was communicating with was in the room next to me. I found the other party could duplicate phone numbers, addresses, instruction and other information without me having to repeat it! I also have found other parties to be more friendly and openly discuss other things going on in their lives. I hold off on making calls until I can get to the phone with the Coherence Technology™ because of the results. I get more done with less effort and my relationship with customers, friends and others has improved...I am positive this has helped to increase my income and assist in building this new company.” —Dennis Messer

This has got to be a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.