John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Mooly test, i tried-it blind with Foobar 2000. Believe-me or not, with my poor set-up (my hifi is 1500Km away) i had 1 at each first try of a serial of tests with a very short sample (may-be 10 serials of tests ?). And was worse and worse accurate with fatigue and boredom.
My best score is 9/10, my worse 4/10. average is around 6/10.
As i was never able to get 10/10, i consider the difference between the two tracks exists, but is of minor importance and hard to discriminate.
I'm sure i can have much more better results with better samples, adapted to discriminate transients (percussions), inter-modulation (many instruments together), little signals details (acoustic guitars, live recording).

So, my conclusion about this load issue (with this OPA sample) is: Load have a real influence, nothing to get nightmares.

Last edited:
It was the LM4562

That part is clearly specified at 600 Ohm load drive, I find it of limited usefulness to do tests of devices used outside of their intended purpose.

What use would it be to judge a perfectly good 25W amplifier with a speaker that makes it clip at normal listening levels?

It would be so easy to put up a set of files of say two 20dB line amps with the ONLY difference that one uses Dale 1% resistors and the other uses naked Vishays. (I'll pay for the Vishays if you want). This is where the discussion wanders off to all too often. Same goes for coupling capacitors, but I'm not paying $400 for a bespoke teflon cap. ;)

BTW something like this was tried years ago as a pass it around black box that folks could use in any system they want, never got off the ground.

Last edited:
Scott, what do you want? Every audio designer to strictly follow guidelines? Guess what, many don't. I have seen real examples of the LM4562 loaded with 300 ohms or so, in today's audio products. 100 ohms just makes the problem more obvious.
However, when I bother with something like a listening test such as this, I use STAX electrostatic phones with a direct drive tube amp (by STAX) to separate the differences more easily. You have to have the BEST reproduction possible, if you are going to hear differences consistently and obviously. But this is just one IC with a marginal CD based source, and a DIFFERENCE is noted. What about a higher quality musical source as well?

Scott, what do you want? Every audio designer to strictly follow guidelines? Guess what, many don't. I have seen real examples of the LM4562 loaded with 300 ohms or so, in today's audio products. 100 ohms just makes the problem more obvious.
Which problem is that? The fact that design guidelines are being ignored?

That's obvious.

What next? Complaining that output chips loaded way past SOA are blowing up?:D

Seriously, what about the supply feeding the chip. PSRR?

jn

We expect the most from our test equipment. It is frustrating to spend thousands of dollars on an audio analyzer and still have obvious (at least readable) harmonic distortion. It is still hard to separate the normal IC's from the exceptional IC's without taking this into account. For example, what has always mattered most to me is higher order odd harmonic distortion, as it is most dissident. I usually target 7th harmonic, but even my latest analyzer has some 7th and I have to add a passive filter to get it below measurement levels. A better buffer-oscillator combination would always be welcomed.

So, my conclusion about this load issue (with this OPA sample) is: Load have a real influence, nothing to get nightmares.

I doubt it. I have always thought that people's ability for blind test is WAY worse than sub conscious ability to perceive "difference" in long term, which is important for music listening enjoyment.

Here is example (some kind of proof to me):

1) People couldn't differentiate a tube amplifier from solid state (with R at the output) amplifier while in reality IMO they are way different.

2) Class-A amplifiers draw people into listening for long hours, which could be caused by less fatigue due to less crossover distortion. But this cannot be explained with numbers. If numbers are shown, then there will be question: "Is the difference audible???". Blind test will prove that it is inaudible. This left the first claim questionable.

I often mentioned that differentiating sound is not harder than deciding which one is preferable. That's why I have tried to practice listening to "fatigue" instead of the usual measurement because at the end you want enjoyment (which should be fatigue free).

I have no doubt that speakers are still the weakest link for most of us. If amplifier issue and speaker issue (such as distortion) is seen as additive in nature, of course we can ignore amplifier issue. The fact is, it is often more like multiplication, just like transistor amplifying stages. But what is important and what is not in an amplifier implementation could have been misjudged.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
With the LM4562 loaded to 100 ohms --- dont care if it never gets used that way in applications... Not the point for listening test. I am curious as to what level we were all detecting. Was it 10 percent ? A tenth of a percent? because if it was more like 10 percent, we havent learned anything new. But if it was 0.1% or under 1%, then we can say we know that isnt the lowest yet and set about to detect even lower amounts.

-RNM

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
We expect the most from our test equipment. It is frustrating to spend thousands of dollars on an audio analyzer and still have obvious (at least readable) harmonic distortion. It is still hard to separate the normal IC's from the exceptional IC's without taking this into account. For example, what has always mattered most to me is higher order odd harmonic distortion, as it is most dissident. I usually target 7th harmonic, but even my latest analyzer has some 7th and I have to add a passive filter to get it below measurement levels. A better buffer-oscillator combination would always be welcomed.

yes. That is the reason for me/us to do it. [also the AP's -120dB is for thd +N.... I am referring to thd, only]
Waly gets an F for not paying attention.

Thx-Dick Marsh :)

IIRC this happened in the same context as they normally evaluate equipment for review, these were NOT inexperienced listeners.

If you mean that their equipment review is as lame as their blind test result, I think I agree. It is also hard to "read between the review lines" when money is the real motivation.

But I doubt that they can be considered as "experienced" listeners. They were not used to listening for slight differences.

I understand that if you use a transistor rated at 60V at 200V, the sound can be remarkably degraded. Narrow-minded engineers insist on that tiresome reading of datasheets, understanding component ratings, and specifying the proper components for a targeted requirement. That's why they'll never be successful in fashion audio, and have to be content with mundane things like selling a billion dollars of product into critical markets.

The test was only "can you identify R" between two audio samples. Yes, it's 50/50 you'll get it right. Knowing there's a difference, I have little doubt that "by golly, I'm gonna hear it" was a subconscious factor. So I intend to try blind identification of X & Y. Four runs of 25, then another 4. Use that data to proceed or walk away.
I did consider looking for Mooly's test, but I had already sent him my choice. All I did was listen (expressed and implied qualifiers apply).

Status
Not open for further replies.