John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Still a problem at lots of sites including big magazines. Some extended ascii fonts include the most common greek characters as a convienience, but there is no standard. As of a few years ago Postscript printers still had a "hack" (at least a hack IMO) so that printing was always OK. They had an explicit switch to symbol font to print the mu (micro) no matter what the running text font was. So you write an article and print it out locally and all looks OK, but through transmission elsewhere the characters above 127 ascii can get lost or substituted. Since it's Adobe I would imagine sticking with pdf and display postscript exclusively would always work?

Articles with "m" instead or the wrong character for "Omega" (Ohms) are everywhere.

No even with PDF it does not always work. I sometimes get a PDF from my layouter that shows squares where on HIS computer (a Mac of course) is an ohm-sign or something.
But I think you CAN generate a PDF with source font included, that should do it.

Jan

You would think by now generation of pdf's would be simple and reliable. Where I work there are multiple instances of automated pdf generators, some of them expressly built to take complex Word docs as input vial XML messages, and there are still regular failures (missing footers, chart on wrong page, etc).

Max,
Yes that much I have picked up from the many comments about twisting the wires. What amazes me many times are the many nice designs where then you see all the wires run in parallel and tied together with zip ties. All that work on the circuit implementation and then they don't twist the wires so it looks pretty and neat, go figure.

You would think after all these years you could just type a paper in plain text and have all the scientific notation easily done. I haven't had to do it for awhile but in school I do remember there were ways to do the special characters in plain text. I for one hate PDF formatting, sometimes it works well and other times it is a real pain to open a document, just like anything else that Adobe has their hands on.

But I think you CAN generate a PDF with source font included, that should do it.

Yes the problem originated with the extended MAC fonts which occupied up to all 256 characters but with different extra characters in each font. Once I realized this I used only the symbol font by switching even if there was some three finger salute that produced the special character.

For technical publication it is difficult to beat LaTeX. However, to use this you need to be able to think like a computer programmer. The big advantage is that source files are just plain ASCII text, which should be portable between systems and temporally resilient. Snag is, if LaTeX ever became mainstream popular then you can bet that certain companies would bring out incompatible versions just to lock their users in.

LaTeX is more like the proper use of HTML; it primarily describes information structure rather than layout. Layout hints and instructions can be added by the user, but as far as possible this is best left to the designer of the style files. The primary units in LaTeX are things like paragraphs, sections and chapters; not pages.

I have never written PDF, so I can't comment on that.

Are you guys perhaps debating something akin to current flow ?
I.E....
When I got my little bit of education (USNavy~1962 and junior-college
~1970) current flowed - to + (electron flow), but now it is taught + to -
(hole flow)......
It seems to change (not unlike whether or not eggs are good for you) ... :)

Both the electron and hole theories are a bit off, electrons only drift at 0.1mm/s or there abouts, its all about EM waves...
Just a thought but as the wave dose not travel in the wire, how can conductor cracks etc affect the wave????

To clarify the matter of diode selection:
We found that typical power diodes, like the 1N4007, were non-optimal for 60Hz power supply rectification (among other applications) when used in audio equipment.
This is NOT an intuitive concept, and almost nobody thought about it for decades after solid state diodes began to replace vacuum tube rectifiers.
I was involved in this issue back in '81. Given unbalanced input audio, I'm surprised it took you audio guys so long to realize it, as the military worried about it back then.;)
The standard devices work well enough to rectify efficiently, but they leave a 'tail' of RF residue due to their slowness in turning off. That is the essence of what Ed Simon actually demonstrated with his photos.

Actually, it's because the diode requires negative current to sweep the zone clean so that it stops conducting. As such, it produces a negative pulse of current where an ideal diode does not.

The problem, as you touch on, is whether the diode recovers softly, or hard. Hard is where the rf comes from, and typically the designer does not design a supply bridge circuit for mhz operation.

It is important to be very careful in interpreting what Ed is doing. The spikes he is seeing via the core is not voltage spikes, it is rate of change of current. Remember, the probe is a rate of change device..

JN concentrated on the 'measurement accuracy' rather than the comparative results.
I concentrated on two aspects. First, what is it being examined, and second, is the probe capable of examining what is of concern. Given the parasitics and the layout, one must be careful with interpretations. For example, the lack of visual transients does not mean they are not there, but rather, they may exceed the setup bandwidth.

jn is the best guy for this but I figure not having the conductive shield you need to go back and consider all the loops/shared connections and twist together and ground things to minimize the undesirable coupling. In my experience star grounding is useful in minimizing the direct voltage drops due to current including the circulating current in bypass capacitors, but you need caution when dealing with higher and higher frequency components because the mode of coupling changes from simple voltage drops to field induced voltages/currents.

Keep all current loops as tightly twisted wire pairs, to reduce emissions and/or pickups...ie, minimise loop areas.

Dan.

Scott and Max are dead on.

If you are using a switchmode plate amp, you may have to do a little shielding there. But as long as you always control currents by twist or coax, it should be ok.

jn

Status
Not open for further replies.