John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
For it to work (ie electric vehicles) the refueling issue has to be solved and building s network is going to be expensive. No help from the petro companies on that one!

Really no help , look again... :)

Oil is going nowhere fast , immediate future is not electric cars , most important and practical will be Hybrid cars, they will be the main stay , all will be under the same control. Sell enough electric cars and the recharge stations will be no cheaper than it is for gas vehicles...

They will get their monies and taxes , Tesla big advantage comes from his NASA contracts , technology was passed on not privy to others , hence contracts from Toyota , et al ....

:drink:

Love-Song-for-Bobby-Long.jpg

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Great flick! :film: :up:

Joined 2004
Paid Member
The response seems to be almost unanimously positive which is interesting considering the risk to shareholder value, he must at least have consulted the board of directors. Great for PR but the Tesla is not exactly a model for the everyperson car.

If I were about to spend $2B on a battery factory I would want to build demand. Batteries for iPhones really are not even similar to transportation batteries despite the hype. Its a real CYA move. His story about the big mfr's not taking electrics seriously doesn't hold water.

The Tesla S is impressive but the energy to move it will be more than my Insight no matter how hard you try to spin the story. Hydro power is less environmentally damaging but there still is significant impact (Hetch Hetchy or the Three gorges Dam for example). Energy is fungible to a remarkable degree. Joules are joules whether they originate as water flowing, or hydrocarbons burning.

Demian,
Don't forget that Elon also has a solar company and the batteries may be just as important to that business. The current method of feeding excess power back to the power companies is choke full of roadblocks today and if you could store that power for night time use things get much more interesting. This is where the batteries would have a second market for that battery plant. As long as we use some form of carbon based fuel the environmental superiority of an electric car just seems to be a myth, but if you can use hydro, solar, wind and even wave generated power then things get more interesting. The thing is I don't see to many people who ever talk about all the petroleum based energy and materials you still need to make all the steel, aluminum, plastics and every other part of the car, it is as if the building of the car is using air and not at least as much petrochemicals as any other car.

Status
Not open for further replies.