John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
And exactly what purpose did it serve me all the years it has been hosted on my server, John?

I hosted it for you simply to be nice. But all I've ever got back from you were personal attacks (like the "does not further serve his purpose" crap above) and been rebuffed on several occasions when I wanted to have a sincere and serious discussion with you.

So when I was reminded the other day that it was still on my server, I decided to do a little housecleaning.

se

Hi Steve,

If I may; how did you get recently awared (reminded) of it?

Cheers,
Bob

On contributions.

Is everyone OBLIGED to make contributions here? If one is here to learn, it can hardly be expected, or called reasonable.

Not to mention that this would soon stop being a DIY forum and turn into "recognized designer forum", kind of missing the point outlined in its very name.

As things stand, I am happy to report that I for one have been freely offered and duly delivered some very helpful assistance from some forum members. Including John. Isn't that the point?

I took some of that advice and was the better for it. Some I did not take for various reasons, even if I did see the virtue of it, because I think I can do just as well, or thereabouts, in a way which is more comfortable and practical to me.

I do NOT understand this need to knock anybody for any reason. What's the point, other than "proving" that one is smarter than "they"? If one agrees, fine, if not, start a discussion with facts, not insinuations. No-one is obliged to agree and/or accept anything on blind faith, but neither are we obliged to accept anyone's word on blind faith either.

We were born just humans, first before we could operate our brain.
And things disintegrate easily with less than perfect humanity.
It's part of the overall package; comes with the audio territory. ...My view.

And besides, perfection is an euphemism. ...The science of relativity.
Indeed it is, Bob, :) ... my approach would be to use completely standard, easily accessible, good value for money parts everywhere; and engineer combinations of them to raise the component's performance to the desired level - don't use an exotic, fragile, expensive item pushed to the limit, but relative cheapies working well within their performance envelope; if never stressed, or asked to give too much they should do the job ...

Indeed it is, Bob, :) ... my approach would be to use completely standard, easily accessible, good value for money parts everywhere; and engineer combinations of them to raise the component's performance to the desired level - don't use an exotic, fragile, expensive item pushed to the limit, but relative cheapies working well within their performance envelope; if never stressed, or asked to give too much they should do the job ...

I just threw that up in the air Frank, out of the blue, without thinking. :D

Guess what, Bob, that's how I design electronic gear - I grab a handful of parts from the junk bin, throw them in the air and from where they land I connect all the bits closest to each other together - plug in the beast, and see what it sounds like trying to work as an amplifier!

Or so some here might like to believe ... :D

If the Far East starts using them en masse, they will quickly figure out how to make the necessary parts themselves. Showing them how to do it will only accelerate the process.

In terms of function, I agree.

However, that new product will take a long time to gain the image and reputation Wima already has. As I said, look over some older Accuphase literature and you will see they make s trong point of using Wima MKT for power supplies and MKS for signal paths. That is rep built for the last 50 years, and it's hard to get.

Ah, the dream of many of us, to make an extraordinary product with standard off the shelf parts.

But somehow, it always manages to elude us.

I remember being told that Otala's little amp was a perfect example of doing just that. Then I asked the guy saying that what about the two supermatch BCY diff pairs, which cost more than everything else on one channel, including the heat sinks. No answer.

Until yesterday, i wasn't aware of jockohomorants or moamps

Well i took some time to read their www's, & both are NO fools ! And jockohomorants has a wicked sense of humour :D moamps www has some nice info etc on it :)

If everbody in life were flat & dull, how boring that would be :p
Some here would be very very happy because everyone would agree with their views. :shhh:

Until yesterday, i wasn't aware of jockohomorants or moamps
You missed a lot of good info here on this forum.
Well i took some time to read their www's, & both are NO fools ! And jockohomorants has a wicked sense of humour :D moamps www has some nice info etc on it :)
There are some here who did not appreciate/understand the intelligence, or the humour.
DIY is the less since Jocko (and Phred) got booted. Big shame.
If everybody in life were flat & dull, how boring that would be :p
Yeah, the above guys were fun.

Dan.

Guess what, Bob, that's how I design electronic gear - I grab a handful of parts from the junk bin, throw them in the air and from where they land I connect all the bits closest to each other together - plug in the beast, and see what it sounds like trying to work as an amplifier!

Or so some here might like to believe ... :D

Frank, I know you are far out, but let's not overdo it. :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.