John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I doubt that the Mac's distortion measurement would show the similar shaped curve as in the other amp's measurement. IIRC, with crossover distortion present, distortion should be higher at lower output levels.
Since distortion is buried in the noise floor in this particular case, we do not know how the curve would look, therefore let's call those magazine measurements meaningless and, probably, close the topic.
Best,

P.S. Low absolute THD numbers TO ME are indication of heavy use of NFB.

I said: the same curve shape. I didn't say anything about what the distortion would be. NO THD curve ever does this, so don't move the goal posts. ;)

The measurements are not meaningless; if the distortion is drowned in the noise, and the noise is low enough to be inaudible, that's a valueable data point.

P.S. Low absolute THD numbers TO ME are indication of heavy use of NFB.

Aha! A feedback-phobe! This has nothing to do with the discussion at hand, but you couldn't resist, right? Now you gave yourself away! :D

Jan

My apologies to godfrey for the strong tone of my comments, it was a genuine mistake on his part ...

a.wayne, not lasting the pre-conditioning period has no bearing on being able to take correct measurements - as stated in many of the reviews this is intended to maximally heat stress the amp, assessing the capacity of the heatsinks. And in the case of the McIntosh "the rear-panel heatsinks were too hot to touch" from that pre-conditioning - the amp was well and truly up to temperature.

Measured at 480W, not 200mW

P.S.: their job is admirable, especially when we take into account they use output transformer!!!

To add further:

John Atkinson said:
Note that to even see this distortion waveform on the storage oscilloscope screen, I had to run the MC501 at 480W into 4 ohms from the 4 ohm tap and average 64 individual captures to lift the harmonic content out of the noise.

And if you look at the THD+N measurement, you can see that at 200mW, noise is dominant and still only at the 0.004% level. This is a remarkably good amplifier.

MacIntosh has a long tradition on using autoformers, I have an old MC2105 somewhere that also uses a big chunk of iron in the output stage. I always thought they did so at the time to keep tricky output devices into their SOA, but apparently they carry on the tradition even till today, even though better output devices exist than in the time of the 2105.
There are obviously weight and cost penalties, so I can understand why other manufacturers did not follow their example.

Why nobody commented on the speaker they used where A. Wayne had complain about the system performance. As if McIntosh is a well regarded speaker manufacturer.

Those are highly regarded speakers 45k worth , we have gone thru enuff Mac stuff to comment , these were not off the cuff comments...

My apologies to godfrey for the strong tone of my comments, it was a genuine mistake on his part ...

a.wayne, not lasting the pre-conditioning period has no bearing on being able to take correct measurements - as stated in many of the reviews this is intended to maximally heat stress the amp, assessing the capacity of the heatsinks. And in the case of the McIntosh "the rear-panel heatsinks were too hot to touch" from that pre-conditioning - the amp was well and truly up to temperature.

What happened to the integrity trip , all amplifiers go thru a pre-conditioning test before bench measurements, this amp failed the preconditioning test , making its result uncomparable to others that did , what part are you not getting Frank ..?

It failed again at the lower level of 30 watts , obvious to me why it sounds hard When driven..

Which makes all other SS amplifier manufacturers transformer-phobe ?

There is a significant expense associated with them. Likewise, the hack designers that are common in fashion audio wouldn't know how to use them properly.

BTW, Roger Russell did some fine speaker designs for Mac. If I'm not mistaken, one of our regular participants here also did some speaker design for them.

Innocent question here....
I noticed the Mac can deliver over 700W into 8 Ohms, which corresponds to over 200V pk-pk. That sounds like it could be a serious shock hazard. Are there any safety-related legal requirements here e.g. regarding the speaker connectors?

Not picking on Mac here - this obviously applies to any very high power amp, as well as the old "100 Volt" PA systems.

Many thanks JN, I asked manufacturer to be sure about hte characteristic impedance of my loudspeaker cables.
Your welcome. If they don't know it, they can use L and C to figure it out.
Z = sqr(L/C)
Some vendors don't know how to measure inductance correctly, so be careful here.

If it's simple parallel wires, it's probably between 100 and 150.

It is just musing not that much of a question really.
Ah, ok. Like a rose by any other name..

Innocent question here....
I noticed the Mac can deliver over 700W into 8 Ohms, which corresponds to over 200V pk-pk. That sounds like it could be a serious shock hazard. Are there any safety-related legal requirements here e.g. regarding the speaker connectors?

Not picking on Mac here - this obviously applies to any very high power amp, as well as the old "100 Volt" PA systems.
In industrial apps, anything over 50 volts is a concern. Touching a voltage over that is considered "working hot".

Really... You can't make this stuff up:eek:.

jn

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
In industrial apps, anything over 50 volts is a concern. Touching a voltage over that is considered "working hot".
jn

I believe the Low Voltage Directive in Europe calls everything above 40V a hazard. Speaker posts on amps here have to be insulated.

BTW speaker connections now have to blocked for 4mm banana's on the grounds that otherwise people might connect mains plugs to the speakers or amps...
Can't see what good (or bad) that would do, but hey, I failed bureaucracy 101 ...;)

Edit: The LVD is also 50V.

Jan

Last edited:
Your welcome. If they don't know it, they can use L and C to figure it out.
Z = sqr(L/C)
Some vendors don't know how to measure inductance correctly, so be careful here.

If it's simple parallel wires, it's probably between 100 and 150.

Ah, ok. Like a rose by any other name..

Really... You can't make this stuff up:eek:.

jn
Good analogy . Steve Eddy's reference to USAF training youtube video teaches autotransformers as a sub class both variac anf rf one . Thus my musing about what we call things and how we are classing them . It ain't Rocketsurgery .

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hope it is not a highend manufacturer. If you measure dimensions like core diameter and distance between wires, we may tell you the characteristic impedance here.

I guess can calculate the characteristic impedance because my speaker cable is Tara Labs Space & Time II (not expensive old cable) and uses several wires inside each rail.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

SY, I never understood your precise meaning of the use of the word:"Chimps" in regard to Stereophile reviewers. I presumed that this meant that they were somehow 'chimp-like' in their behavior and discernment. Sorry if I missed the use that you made of the word.
As far as the JC-1 'oscillation' is concerned, I am surprised that one of my competitors, who I barely know, would tell you about what its cause was, and not me. I did ask John Atkinson, himself, and he did not seem to know the specific reason. I have my suspicions that it might be a floating ground or a faulty switch setting. I have never personally found this oscillation in my tests in my lab, or in the field with the JC-1's.
Why don't you give me an answer to this mystery since you appear to have it?

Status
Not open for further replies.