John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations SY, you can more easily build with SMD parts than me. With my 1000's of leaded jfets available to me, I think I will stick to the old stuff.

I bothered to learn and keep my skills a bit more current. It's tougher when one gets old, as I'm rapidly doing.

I've got "1000s" of vacuum tubes available to me.:D Nonetheless, it's important for me to have as many tools in my engineering arsenal as possible.

After some coaching from Jan Didden, I managed to learn how to do SMD, despite my poor vision and hand skills (the right tools are vital!). It's all part of progress, learning, and not getting stuck in 1968. I still wouldn't want to try a fine pitch 128 lead package, but opamps, FETs, resistors, et al, are not at all difficult.

We are staring at the floor drooling ...... :eek:

:rofl:

What !

We having a who's the oldest guy race now , toobs vs Jfets ...... :)

Enjoyed that read JC, i do think you need to change that 30 to 40 on page 1:) mostly enjoyed the part with the phycologist , necessary input i may add ....

:drink:

I'm surprised you have not tried battery PS's with those speakers of yours. There is stuff available for phone cabinets or small electric locomotives that put just about any linear supply to shame. Stuff that can explode those puny 1/2" copper bars (easily BTW). :)

Funny you mentioned copper bars , I'm experimenting with flat 1/2 inch wide copper wire to connect to the amplifier , im pretty impressed with the sound i have the conductors spaced 1 inch apart i will do another pr at 1/2 and compare...

I used to use battery power on the pre-amp stuff, never for the amp ...

Explain .... :confused:

i can give you measured data or i can also report my subjective findings. Before i went for heavy gauge round and it did not work , this works much better , its not used on the bass , its used on the mid/ high ribbon drivers ..

I may drag it in one day and measure RLC , my rig only measures up to 40k ...

Status
Not open for further replies.