John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my background by reading Manko. He gives fair warning about gold, and advocates adding silver in many situations. This is one good reason for using SN62, if you can find it. I always recommend it.
Perhaps I should say 'Google' rather than 'Wiki'. I have a fairly extensive technical library, but I always find something new when I 'Google' a subject. I presume that is the direction everyone is going.
What I find most useful on this website is the LINKS to other articles, that I most probably would not ever see, so I find the computer most useful.

Something like this ?
SN62 505 0.46MM 250G REEL - MULTICORE (SOLDER) - SOLDER WIRE, 62/36, 0.46MM, 250G | Newark

To add to the mix, what is the optimum method of forming a metallic bond to aluminium - as a trivial example, adding an earthing wire to an aluminium heatsink beyond a crude lug and screw approach?
To partially answer my own question, Wikipedia has quite an extensive rundown on what's possible, Solder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, and mentions KappAloy9, Sn91Zn9 - thoughts ...?

I lost my complete library in 1991 in a firestorm. At least 1000 books, master tapes, 20 years of audio research. I had to start all over.
It was a slow process, but it was a tax write-off, so by 1998, I was almost at where I was before. Friends helped out, especially with class notes and rare books. Others gave me copies of their AES Journals, Audio magazines, etc.
With the coming of the internet, I can understand why people do not wish to do this effort to have a large technical library. Most important info can be found on the computer these days, if you know what to look for.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
I lost my complete library in 1991 in a firestorm. At least 1000 books, master tapes, 20 years of audio research. I had to start all over.
It was a slow process, but it was a tax write-off, so by 1998, I was almost at where I was before. Friends helped out, especially with class notes and rare books. Others gave me copies of their AES Journals, Audio magazines, etc.
With the coming of the internet, I can understand why people do not wish to do this effort to have a large technical library. Most important info can be found on the computer these days, if you know what to look for.
I think I lost a friend in that firestorm. Although he may not have been killed he was prone to taking such "natural" disasters as omens, and as he was already inclined I think he may well have become a monk. In any event the phone number that had worked for so many years was evidently reassigned, and its new possessors had no knowledge of him when I reached them.

There are books on soldering that answer most of these questions, especially for hand soldering, such as: 'Solders and Soldering' by Howard Manko
Today a Wiki search can give you most of what you need.
Extreme examples, such as small gold wires, are inappropriate for manual soldering of hi fi equipment, either as an amateur or for small runs.

The IPC is your best source, a global based set of standards used by anyone who is concerned about there electronic/electrical assemblies:
IPC - Association Connecting Electronics Industries

One other thing is to specify your PCB requirements to the manufacturer, the attached specs cross reference to the relevant IPC specs, this version is for high reliability boards, just change class 3 to class 2 for normal commercial boards if you want to use them...

Attachments

• PCB manufacturing instructions Class 3 Generic.doc
    84 KB · Views: 67
The only exception of course seems to be from you!

No again, I find it mis-applied political correctness. Why on earth would tihs reference in the 1800's have any negative connotations. and BTW...

"Aryan language is a term not generally used by today's linguists merely for political reasons, but is encountered often in works published in the 19th century and most of the 20th century to mean:

The Old Persian language
The Vedic Sanskrit language
The Proto-Indo-Iranian language
Any of the Indo-Iranian languages
In works published in the late 19th century and early 20th century, this term, or the term Proto-Aryan, was sometimes used to describe the Proto-Indo-European language.
In works published in the late 19th century and early 20th century, this term in the plural was sometimes used as a synonym for the Indo-European languages"

I'm finally getting set up to measure some NOS carbon comp resistors and some various wire connections. I should be able to get way down into the noise this time.

Last edited:
JNeutron,
Seeing your expertise here with metals and soldering and failure modes a question about copper clad aluminum. I am working on a dome tweeter and was considering using cca flat wound wire for a lite weight voice-coil. Do you see this as a long term failure mode or is this an acceptable application? I know this has been used in compression drivers for many years but at the same time I understand that soldering has always been an issue and on some very expensive TAD drivers the failure mode was the connection from the lead-out wire to the CCA voicecoil. Looking forward to your opinion on this.

Steven
The wire itself seems innocuous. The VC winds which are on the former should live longer than you or me...unless you put me on the console with a copy of Led Zep two.. then your tweets are toast...

I do worry about the exit of the lead from the coil to the outside world. While bonded to the former or layer 1 (2 layer wind), the wire is just fine. But where it exits the coil, it CANNOT be allowed to dangle in the air, especially if the conductor is still within the magflux of the gap, or the fringe field just outside. The wire will be pushed by forces at right angles to the current flow, and that can cause a flying conductor to resonate at ultrasonic frequencies. Very bad if you allow people like me to push the system into hard clipping.

Soldering to the clad should not be an issue, just don't dilly-dally too long with the iron, as the melt consumes the copper. Do not use too high a tip temp, I recommend the largest tip mass possible for the job and lowest temp settings as well.

Ah, forgot.. I had a pair of gauss cetec tweeters that were edge wound aluminum, they failed where the conductor left the vc bonding due to high cycle fatigue. I tried in vain to re-solder to that aluminum wire, I was not successful no matter what type of aluminum paste solder or flux I used. Ended up replacing each tweeter with 9 piezo's and EQ'ing the daylite outta the signal. Eventually I found some Russian diffraction ring tweeters outta parts express and they worked great. However, since that was around the time of Chernobyl, I always wondered if those tweeters were radioactive.

Yes, thanks to jn and everyone for this excellent discussion on soldering. To add to the mix, what is the optimum method of forming a metallic bond to aluminium - as a trivial example, adding an earthing wire to an aluminium heatsink beyond a crude lug and screw approach?

I tap the sink, scrape the area around it clear of anodize and oxide, then use a star washer to dig in. The fluoride paste used for service entrance aluminum may be good to use, but I've no experience with it.

but I always find something new when I 'Google' a subject. I presume that is the direction everyone is going
Me too. It's amazing the resources at the fingertips.
What I find most useful on this website is the LINKS to other articles, that I most probably would not ever see, so I find the computer most useful.
I agree, but I rate the people first, the links second.

There is still something to be said about books. I would rather sit back, read a book, highlight with a felt tip pen what I find important as well as where the author was incorrect. I tried that for a while on my computer, but eventually there was so much ink on the monitor, I couldn't see the text..

yah, I'm blonde..

jn

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I understand that with aluminum wire voice-coils on some compression drivers, not copper clad, attempts have been made to use a gas tight crimped connection and this has been a common failure mode with a connection to the lead-out wires also.

I think that this would be a case for suggesting ultrasonic welding. The main expense (custom jig that has to be built) can be justified, as a single jig will need minimal adjustment and resonance trimming for to adapt to the various voice coils in a flexible production line.

The Old Persian language

I don’t see the proto-Hellenic term on the list :D
(Not to worry. I have the five volumes of Liddel & Scott by my side.Liddell & Scott )

George

No again, I find it mis-applied political correctness. Why on earth would tihs reference in the 1800's have any negative connotations. and BTW...

"Aryan language is a term not generally used by today's linguists merely for political reasons, but is encountered often in works published in the 19th century and most of the 20th century to mean:

The Old Persian language
In works published in the late 19th century and early 20th century, this term, or the term Proto-Aryan, was sometimes used to describe the Proto-Indo-European language.
In works published in the late 19th century and early 20th century, this term in the plural was sometimes used as a synonym for the Indo-European languages"

I'm finally getting set up to measure some NOS carbon comp resistors and some various wire connections. I should be able to get way down into the noise this time.

Mr. Wurcer,

I don't generally comment on these sorts of things, as they seldom come up on an Audio site, and quite honestly, most members of them have no idea what they're talking about when these matters are mentioned.

However, you are absolutely correct in your understanding of the situation regarding the use of the term "Aryan" in the context of the Indo-Germanic ( or Indo-European) language groups. The adoption and subsequent mis-appliction of the term by the Nazis in the 1930's doomed the term in the eyes of the Academic Community.

Best Regards,
TerryO

I think that this would be a case for suggesting ultrasonic welding. The main expense (custom jig that has to be built) can be justified, as a single jig will need minimal adjustment and resonance trimming for to adapt to the various voice coils in a flexible production line.

Certainly one way to do it. The only caution I have is that the wires near the bond be supported with a damping material during the energy transfer. If the wire outside the weld is not supported during the weld, they may flex out of control and be damaged. This should be evident by high power examination of the surfaces of the wire. Damage will show up as slip plane dislocation at the surface, this can be seen as a rough surface. At high magnification, you can see lines.
Another possibility is simple pulse welding, like a millifarad cap charged to voltage, then discharged across the two conductors being held in compression. I evaluated a stud bonder back in the late 80's, it could weld a 6-32 or 8-32 stud directly to a metal surface. I don't recall if it used a relay or active switches to provide the current pulse.

jn

Last edited:
jneutron,
Thank you for that answer. I have never seen mention of the interaction of the wire and magnetic field and that would be very important in a dome tweeter with such small lead-out wires. I will keep that in mind and determine the best way to bond the lead-out to the surround in some manner.

Glad to help. Selenium had this problem with their D205TI diaphrams years ago, and I gave them all the information as well as the fix. Later replacement diaphrams did indeed have the fix applied to them. They just used the vc epoxy to bond the wires until it left the gap field, so simple a fix.

Just don't bond it though the flexure area of the diaphragm, that would unbalance the mechanics as well as force flexural failure of the wire via mechanical means.

jn

Thanks again JN. The diaphragm material is beryllium and the magnetic structure is a pot core neo magnet design. Shouldn't have a lot of flux leakage out of the gap but there is always some no matter the design. The suspension will be a TPE-PU material that I am working with the vendor on the tooling design as we speak.

Shouldn't have a lot of flux leakage out of the gap but there is always some no matter the design.

I would use two or 3 as a safety factor for how far from the gap the field extends. If the gap is 100 mils, I'd use 200 or 300 mils as the distance the fringe field extends. If the gap is 200 mils like a woof, 400 to 600 mils distance should suffice.

This of course it along the plane of the gap, where the VC motion vector goes.

jn

However, you are absolutely correct in your understanding of the situation regarding...

I'm sorry to cause anyone concern but I felt the first mention of this was an example of how wrong something can be "in the accepted literature". Implying that the academic community believed all languages came from some "master" race is a little much, and an unfair way to emphasize the point. Rewriting history is dangerous, the Rigveda is an amazing piece of cultural history and it came from those people 3500 years ago. In the same sense I don't think it's fair to accuse the professional audio community of sinister intent when they ignore some of the audiophiles concerns.

Last edited:

In the same sense I don't think it's fair to accuse the professional audio community of sinister intent when they ignore some of the audiophiles concerns.

No sinister intent, only ignorance.
Like the comment addressed at me here few days ago, hinting that it takes engineering degree in order to be able to appreciate music properly, both live and reproduced.
Some engineers and other technically-minded people are utterly convinced that the prevailing and commonly accepted electronics theories and practices cover the whole issue of realism in sound reproduction. Thus, any testimonials indicating differently must be born of hallucinations/self-deception/placebo effect.

I'm sorry to cause anyone concern but I felt the first mention of this was an example of how wrong something can be "in the accepted literature". Implying that the academic community believed all languages came from some "master" race is a little much, and an unfair way to emphasize the point. Rewriting history is dangerous, the Rigveda is an amazing piece of cultural history and it came from those people 3500 years ago. In the same sense I don't think it's fair to accuse the professional audio community of sinister intent when they ignore some of the audiophiles concerns.

I think you've almost got it. The tree in the Cambridge English dictionary was of the single origin theory.

I have no issues with the use of Aryan to describe the people or languages as mentioned in the scholarly literature.

It was the folks who proposed that the first intelligent race were the Lemurians, followed by the Atlanteans and then the Aryans, (reusing what until then had been a term referring to a different and specific group) that still find some what wacky adherents.

Status
Not open for further replies.