What part of DIY do you HATE?

Agree, the case work is no fun at all. I'm jealous of those who are good at it. :mad:

Oh I agree. I've got two enclosures half done. And, then there's collecting the knobs, switches, jacks, screws, etc. . . all of which involve drilling and soldering combined with some form of headstand manuever. Personally, I've had a lot of ideas for enclosures, but the idea that looked easiest wasn't, due to more than a week of sanding.

Perhaps of there was an enclosures / case work forum, collective effort may resolve several easy ways to make enclosures?

Planning out point to point wiring inside your head and not being able to conferr with other people online for fear of being laughed at.

Cleaning up my room!!!!! IT NEVER ENDS!!!!

And clip nipper, what the hell is that!? *holds his nipples*

^ understanding new things.

Battery ran down on the digital multimeter, didn't want to drive to the store, found some old batteries, and then I went to measure them; but, unfortunately the battery was down on the digital multimeter. . . impasse.

P.S.
Went for the circa 1979 analog multimeter (voltmeter section doesn't consume battery power) and it was reasonably informative about the batteries. I'm glad I kept that old meter. Otherwise the situation would have been ridiculous. :)
I wonder what the kids do?--keep 2 DMM's and hope the batteries never go down at the same time?

And clip nipper, what the hell is that!? *holds his nipples*
It wasn't designed for unexpected S&M applications. :)
The ClipNipper is an (over) voltage activated audio compressor for facilitating clipless replay of highly dynamic music on small scale solid state amplifiers. It also helps amplifiers cope with virtual digital instrument midi applications for music production. See also Volumax. In a pinch, it could be used at a radio station although it doesn't have as many features or as much effect as modern radio station units. It also doesn't make that typical compressor "YAAA!!" sound or any sound of its own. Recently, Elvee published a nicely transparent Tringlophone/JLH version, at post #58 of the ClipNipper thread for headroom management with 11 watt Class A amplifiers. It is also possible to create a preamp version that restrains (overly) loud TV commercials.

Last edited:
Not having a workshop/workspace. I have about 40x40cm space to put project parts on, which is threatened by the possibility of aquiring a kitchen machine with meat grinder (my ultimatum, I want to make proper sausages if my workshop is to be condemned. There is no real food here in this part of the country, even burgers they manage to make unappealing.), the kitchen table is my workbench IF my amazing wife can take the kids out for the day, which hardly ever happens.

Last edited:
See also Volumax. In a pinch, it could be used at a radio station although it doesn't have as many features or as much effect as modern radio station units. It also doesn't make that typical compressor "YAAA!!" sound or any sound of its own.

I'm fully interested in acquiring this device and or kit. Will look it up. I want to use it for a HLLY 0.05w TV Transmitter project and for an AM Radio station project.

Battery ran down on the digital multimeter, didn't want to drive to the store, found some old batteries, and then I went to measure them; but, unfortunately the battery was down on the digital multimeter. . . impasse.

P.S.
Went for the circa 1979 analog multimeter (voltmeter section doesn't consume battery power) and it was reasonably informative about the batteries. I'm glad I kept that old meter. Otherwise the situation would have been ridiculous. :)
I wonder what the kids do?--keep 2 DMM's and hope the batteries never go down at the same time?

Alkaline batteries are really expensive now I'm not surprised that you wouldn't want to go to the store, it is a dreadful experience these days.

I've been thinking about doing something similar with a SLA Battery and a charger for it eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d?r

Basically making my own multimeter, except it runs off of 12v-16v or 90-250vac and has an inbuilt SLA battery.

But I want something that is going to be shock/dust/water proof and EMP proof, I have high standards for my projects... they should outlast me!

I might just go back to the good old fashioned analog gauge multimeter and learn how to READ an analogue gauge again haha

I've got one of these puppies sitting at home doing nothing, I should really bring it over here: Vintage AVO AVOMETER MULTIMETER Model 8 Mark 5 With Case ex MOD 071

Last edited:
Not finding anything at the skip. I like freebies!
Not finishing projects that works. It just stands there ugly and working fine.
Not finding the parts I need in my workroom. I know they are there somewhere.
Not being able to limit the amount of ongoing projects.
Not have the time to just sit down being a complete nerd for hours.
And the long wait for Ebay parts to show up.

I only hate when I lack ambition to do it while I have fresh ideas and new ones coming that I want to execute. I got something finished from nothing pieces top to bottom. once in a while you turn out something your xtra fond of that you made weather its furniture or someone else building their amps or a DAC inside a throat lozenge tins and cigar boxes. There are so many skilled people in here. Im modest Id like to be able to do a fraction of what I see. Firstly Id hope not to blow myself up second Id like to try building a big dual mono A/B. Different amp though inspiring, looking nice http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/65131-bpa300-mono-block-finished-measured.html

Last edited:
I would like to add that I hate when I come across an idea or schematic and starts to work on it, ordering stuff, some that may be very specific just to find in the end that a crucial component is of the unobtainium kind or VERY VERY rare and expensive or in worst case just obtainable but fake.

This may not as bad but how about waiting an extra long amount of time for something you really need and asap then the moment comes you realize it ain't the correct one. You get to hurry up and wait again.

Last edited:
This may not as bad but how about waiting an extra long amount of time for something you really need and asap then the moment comes you realize it ain't the correct one. You get to hurry up and wait again.

Or worse yet. you think you hade enough of one component but notice one is missing and you order a new one for A LOT OF money on eBay and when it finally arrives you find out that you had just mislaid the "missing" one.