What part of DIY do you HATE?

Mr. Dis-organization

Not being organized, I spend hours sifting through shoeboxes for parts. Most times I give up and just order some parts. While waiting for the needed part, a shoebox full of the RCA jacks I just ordered falls off the shelf and hits me on the coconut......

Cheers,
Terry

Even the slightest step forward albeit not helpful in any way imaginable and a flavor that might be worse than old nails, is still a step forward, no matter how tiny that may be.

That's what it sounds like when I'm not annoyed. It is interesting when someone has gone beyond that point because then I assume they wanted to convey something important. That's okay.

I pet the tux cats and have a goodly tea. And, that is recommendable. Blazer and Domino says hi! And the tea is just fantastic. . .

1. Creating some new ideas , having them commercialized.

2. Not having the gonads to call those parties out for having done that.

3. having this happen , but still loving the hobby.

I suppose humanity will always be humanity , nothing can stop that.
Never a problem putting together non-oscillating rock solid projects with
no issues , but the humanity "issue" is always there.

- some will try to denigrate design choices.
- some will copy .... flattery.
- some will buy ebay parts and say the design sucks.

I had a passing interest in this "trade". It is now "absorbed". Let the past be
the new standard ... it's now quite easy to exceed any of this.

PS - any of my new stuff won't be "thrown to the dogs".
Old stuff - it was worth sharing to learn. :)

OS

1. Creating some new ideas , having them commercialized.
2. Not having the gonads to call those parties out for having done that.
3. having this happen , but still loving the hobby.
I suppose humanity will always be humanity , nothing can stop that.
Never a problem putting together non-oscillating rock solid projects with
no issues , but the humanity "issue" is always there.
- some will try to denigrate design choices.
- some will copy .... flattery.
- some will buy ebay parts and say the design sucks.
I had a passing interest in this "trade". It is now "absorbed". Let the past be
the new standard ... it's now quite easy to exceed any of this.
PS - any of my new stuff won't be "thrown to the dogs".
Old stuff - it was worth sharing to learn. :)
OS

The tea is still good! Ever so much more tea. . .
Otherwise, I'd like to mention that some of the more elementary stuff, like what you started with, is VERY competitive. I'd like to propose that simplifying could be fun when it doesn't make a shortfall. There's a lot to that, and it might be fun.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Ha ha, Dazz. :D

Not DIY, but I work with a very high end video switcher that costs as much as luxury car. To get into the case you have to remove 43 little screws. 43! Then you have to put them all back in again. At least they are all identical.

when you finish and it blows up

I can usually deal with this.....often the smoke cloud will lead you to your mistake.

What has driven me nuts for three weeks, and almost led to a complicated undertaking hitting the trash bin......

I have always dreamed of building a big music synthesizer. I started one back in 1972, but never finished it......just bought a broken ARP Osyssey and fixed it.....far easier. I started down the road to building my own several times, but never finished it.

Then you find out a about a cool microprocessor chip that has enough power to make a decent synth, and has an audio library available.....OK, cool. Then you make a little breadboard with a dozen pots and a couple of rotary encoders........write some code segments, test them......repeat. Everything looks good so you decide to make a bigger breadboard, say 50+ pots, 4 encoders, and whatever else I can throw on it.....

You wire up 17 pots, 4 encoders, 1 push button on a 10 X 17 inch piece of perf board, splice together all of your pieces of test code, and put a wrapper on it, about 500 lines total.....and flip the switch, no smoke, no bang, just a bunch of random rude noises. All the test code worked VCO's, VCF's, VCA's all sounded like you would expect, so WTF?????

So you spend three weeks ripping stuff up, backing up to simple test code, and still nothing works......You run a few test programs from the web site, and they all work??????WTF again. My code MUST be broken.

I make a simple program, a single VCO feeding a pair of headphones. Load it into the original small breadboard, and it works.....load it into the new one......rude noises, no voltage control at all?????WTF again. My hardware MUST be broken.

I am about two minutes from grabbing the wire cutters, or setting the power supply on KILL!!!!!!! Then I found it......yes a ROOKIE MISTAKE....

Repeat after me.....then write it a thousand times.....

THOU SHALL NOT LEAVE AN UNUSED INPUT FLOATING!!!!!!
THOU SHALL NOT LEAVE AN UNUSED INPUT FLOATING!!!!!!....

Especially when it goes to a 16 bit multiplexed A/D converter......

The first two pictures are the old test breadboard. The last two are the start of the final breadboard. Lots more code to be written. If it all works, the next step is PC boards.

Attachments

• AnalogSynthBreadboard_x.jpg
    AnalogSynthBreadboard_x.jpg
    785.3 KB · Views: 226
  • AnalogSynthBreadboard_2_x.jpg
    AnalogSynthBreadboard_2_x.jpg
    872.3 KB · Views: 221
  • SynthBreadBoard_8-14_x.jpg
    SynthBreadBoard_8-14_x.jpg
    840.4 KB · Views: 218
  • TestCode_8-13_x.jpg
    TestCode_8-13_x.jpg
    569.5 KB · Views: 217
There will be many more wires before it's finished.....That's the minimum I could get by with to start making real code......now ALL unused inputs are grounded, and sweet sounds are beginning to flow forth.....now if I could only remember all those college programming classes.....OH, wait the Arduino wasn't invented back then:)

Today I discovered that I hate more than Screws
I started the day a number of improvements to the DAC circuit on the player I was working on.
After I finish
testing
5V
3.3V
9+
I turn the screws. Connect to the amplifier BMC.
No Sound
I'm racking my brain what I did wrong.
Check all circuit and everything is normal.
Connector again
And the power supply does not work with combination High frequency Shriek
Straight I turn off the player
Checking all the power supply and everything is normal.
I tell myself it's weird.
After 10 hours I have wasted my life
I find the problem
data Connector between the main unit circuit to the dac
There is a short between pin 1 and 2
13909120_3297657443541_2992867243914975420_o.jpg
When I plug in reverse
Voltage Regulators LT1764
that I built gives voltage
4V
Instead 3.3V
I separated with tweezers pin 1 of 2