• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Ultra Fast Diode Bridge.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, as a part of the UK Aleph-X group buy, it looks like we are going to try and get some rectifiers specialy made for the purpose, as some of the otherones currently available might not quite be up to delivering the curents people are after.

I have now come up with a design based around the BYW99W-200 Ultrafast diodes that are now used in the PASS amplifiers (have a look here). In it's current configuration, it should be able to supply up to 30A RMS before the diodes start to overheat (assuming an ambient of about 25 degrees, and keeping to the voltage limit of 200V for the diodes) which should be enough for most projects.

If enough people are intrested in getting hold of these modules, I will be putting an order in soon for the PCB's and the rest of the components to build them up. I would be looking to sell them on for a cost of £19.00 each fully assembled (with heatcinks and snubbing network) or about £4.00 for the bare PCB's if there are any spare.

The board itself will measure aproximately 90 x 40 mm and the heatsinks are 51mm tall on top of the thinkness of the board itself. It should also come with full solder masks and silkcreens.

Heatsink:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Board:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=322936

I guess I was a little quick off the mark with this one:

It has now been decided that as we are doing this, it should be done as well as we can, so the board has now change to a double sided number which should perform a bit better and looks a fair bit neeter too.

Andrew.

Attachments

• rectifier-rev4-1.gif
    rectifier-rev4-1.gif
    26.1 KB · Views: 2,763
I've not had too much intrest in this yet (not enough for me to go ahead and put the order in), so I was wondeirng if people would be more intrested in just the bare boards (the double sided ones) wich would come in at £5.00 plus postage (which I doubt would ever come to much). If people are intrested, let me know and I'll se if I get enough intrest to put the order through.

Andrew.

I did know of peranders boards before I started on this, but we decided that for some of the Aleph-X implementations that people have been looking at, it would be hard to find a diode in a TO-220 case that could cope with curents much over about 8 amps using the heatsinks that will fit on the board (even with this design using the TO-247 package, thermal limits are reached long before the diodes curent limits), although saying that I did forget about teh MUR1520's which would probably be ok.

I did think about having a side mounted design, but I though that this method would be more flexible, as it can be put anywhere it will fit rather than needing to be fastened on to the main heatsinks.

But, I guess it would be fairly easy to do a board with the devices on the side, however, judging from the small intrest I have gotten so far it doesn't look like this will be going through for now as I can't afford to get the numbers of components required to hit the prices mention above by myself.

roddyama said:
Andrew,

One critique I would have about your board and Peranders board is that it would be easier to mount the rectifiers on an external heatsink if they were either back-to-back or face-to-face.
My first goal for my rectifier board was not a 15-20 A continuous current, merely a smaller "music power" rectifier. Maybe I should do a heavy duty > 25 A rectifier?

I would say 25 to go ahead with the board order and about the same ot get a decent disount of the parts to go with them.

As far as the hatsink part numbers go, I'm not too sure from one manufacturer to the next, but SK104 is what is in the eagle library and I think the maplin (uk) part number is RN82.

Also, it isn't realy case for a market here, I'm not looking to try and make a profit, just let myself and a few others build someting which would have otherwise cost a lot more; by grouping together and going for the same things (coulomb you don't need to worry, I wasn't trying to steal any of peranders glory or anything, just trying to get myself a decent part for a good price) I thought we could do this, but unfortunately it doesn't look that way, as all I'm receiving is negative input.

bigparsnip said:
I would say 25 to go ahead with the board order and about the same ot get a decent disount of the parts to go with them.

As far as the hatsink part numbers go, I'm not too sure from one manufacturer to the next, but SK104 is what is in the eagle library and I think the maplin (uk) part number is RN82.

Also, it isn't realy case for a market here, I'm not looking to try and make a profit, just let myself and a few others build someting which would have otherwise cost a lot more; by grouping together and going for the same things (coulomb you don't need to worry, I wasn't trying to steal any of peranders glory or anything, just trying to get myself a decent part for a good price) I thought we could do this, but unfortunately it doesn't look that way, as all I'm receiving is negative input.

Humm I think you would need Negative and Positive input to make a rectifier work.

:) :)

Anthony

bigparsnip said:
If you are this for non-profit, collect money from all people in advance before you even order the pcb's. Otherwise you are sitting with a pile of pcb's you can't sell.

BTW: Amongst 5 or 6 billion people there are room for more people than myself and David White http://www.wnaudio.com/ and his bridge (can't give you a link becasue his website won't work on a Mac :( )

Sinks, Bridges etc

Hi All,

SK104 is listed in the Fischer Catalogue page A87-88.

www.fischerelektronik.de

I will call the Alans at DAU and find out the cost to us.

Regarding the bridge PCBs, I was going to go for a couple of kits (as discussed on the UK AX thread) - However, if I need to up my board requirement to help hit the order target for production, I will order 4 or 8 bare boards and stash the ones I don't need now for a rainy day.

HTH

Jon

Re: Sinks, Bridges etc

jonclancy said:
Hi All,

SK104 is listed in the Fischer Catalogue page A87-88.

www.fischerelektronik.de

I will call the Alans at DAU and find out the cost to us.

Regarding the bridge PCBs, I was going to go for a couple of kits (as discussed on the UK AX thread) - However, if I need to up my board requirement to help hit the order target for production, I will order 4 or 8 bare boards and stash the ones I don't need now for a rainy day.

HTH

Jon

Count me in for some extras as well, if it helps the group buy "make." I'll need three complete bridges (fully built up) but I would take 3 more bare boards if it helped.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.